1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Project Log] "Blue Morpho"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by BeckModZ, 27 Feb 2016.

1. BeckModZ

BeckModZ What's a Dremel?

Painting The IN WIN D-Frame Mini​

So at first i had the frame sent to Powder Coating, but when i came to pick it up it was looking white cream with pink spots all over the place!
    Obviously i was very unsatisfied with their result, so i went out and bought some spray paint and re painted the whole thing.
    Took me a long time to sand it down, gave it a layer of primer, and 4 layers of the Glossy White spray paint, before i had covered up all the pink and was satisfied with the result.
    The IN WIN D-Frame Mini is now hanging over night for drying, and I will see tomorrow morning if it needs an extra layer or not.
    Anyways here's a few images of the paint process, and my cool paint setup :)

Had some fun with one of the photos, obviously i did not spray inside while taking a picture, just had a little fun in photoshop and threw some fake spray in the image hehe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think of my paint setup? Used an old frame for hangin clothes on, tied up some 550 paracord and i had my self a great workstation for the paint job!!
    Will upload images tomorrow of the finished paint job. ​

2. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Why didn't you just get it redone by the powdercoating company?
    I mean you payed for a job.

3. BeckModZ

Actually i didn't pay upfront for it, and we agreed on that i got it for free, and that they had learned their lesson for next time they try to remove red paint and powder coat it white. :)
    Also i know they could just apply a wet coating instead of the oven coat, and it would look perfect, but timeframe on that was an extra week, and i dont have time for that.
    So just did it myself, and am pretty happy with the result.

4. BeckModZ

IN WIN D-Frame Mini After Paint​

So yesterday i gave the frame the last layers of paint, and let it hang to dry over night.
    This morning i took it down, put on the new Blue Rubber Foot Stands that i recieved from the nice guys at In Win, and took some images.
    I must say that i absolutely love the new paint job! Cant wait to see what it looks like with the custom reservoir and the new GPU mount location.
    Also nate at E22.biz just finished some laser engraved parts that are on the way. More updates will follow soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like it !! ​

5. BeckModZ

Gpu Mount Test, with Waterblock​

So today i wanted to see how the GPU would look with waterblock mounted in the white painted frame.
    I installed the waterblock on the GPU (update will follow on that later), then filled it with the mayhems pastel blue, and mounted it onto the frame.
    I love it! i am sure this is going to look just perfect once the reservoir/mobo tray arrives from parvum.
    Can't wait to put this all together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned guys !! ​

6. BeckModZ

Engraved And Custom Parts​

So today i recieved some custom cut and engraved parts from E22.biz
    Absolutely amazing job done by Nate! Got the SSD covers, the engraved radiator side panels, the 240mm fan grill for decoration on the radiator, and the PSU covers.
    Everything just looks so great, really stunning piece of work, and the details just took this build to a higher level.
    Enjoy the goodies! Another update will follow shortly with the pieces installed and some extra Eye Candy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to Nate at E22.biz for these beautiful parts, great to collaborate with you !! ​

7. BeckModZ

Installing the engraved PSU Covers and more​

So as you know, yesterday i recieved all the custom made and engraved parts from E22.biz
    Everything looks amazing and is just spot on the design we agreed on.
    So i decided to install the psu covers just for a small photo shoot, so you can see how it's going to look.
    Also quick mounted the Radiator grill and fans to the rad, just so you can get an idea of what my thoughts are with it.
    Other then that, i took 300 images and narrowed it down to 15 haha. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like it !! ​

Last edited: 22 Mar 2016
  8. BeckModZ

Sleeving the EK-DDC Pump​

So today i had a little time on my hands, and decided to sleeve the pump.
    Not much to it, 4 wires that had to be sleeved only, so didnt take too many photos while sleeving, but will do next time.
    Decided to use some of the 4pin cable combs i had laying around, just to make it look more tidy in the end.
    I think i might have to shorten them up later, but i don't know that untill the reservoir is here.
    I went for the heatshrinkless method for the pump, just my favorite way to sleeve, looks much better in the end i think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned !! ​

Last edited: 26 Mar 2016
  9. BeckModZ

Small Status Update​

Hey Guys,
    Just a small status update.. I am currently awaiting the Reservoir/motherboard block from Parvum,
    and really not much work i can do until it's here. Would love to do the sleeving, but don't really
    know the length of the cables until the block is here. Same goes with installing the parts or making
    some sexiness to the motherboard since the motherboard is at Parvum for measurement.
    So next photo update will be the reservoir block when it arrives, and it's going to be amazing!!

Also got my new camera, a Canon EOS 70D and some macro lenses, so images are hopefully going to get
    even better now. If not then i will go back to my HTC ONE M9 that has delivered all the images up until now.

So stay tuned guys, next update is going to be pure sexiness!! ​

10. BeckModZ

Just Trying Some New Stuff​

So as i await the big piece of acrylic block from parvum, I recieved som goodies from both CaseKing and Coolerkit.
    I take photos of these later on, but first off i wanted to show some 90 degree angles adapters in acrylic that i recieved.
    I kinda like the looks of these, an actually think they would be a perfect match to the big acrylic reservoir/motherboard combo.
    But who knows, i might change it once the block is here and i have a better visual idea of it.
    For now though, i installed them to get a visual idea of the flow direction, and also the new flow meter arrived, which had a matching

skye blue backplate that fits perfect to the rest of the acrylic custom parts!

The fittings leading towards the back of the case, from gpu, from rad and from pump, are going into the tunnels in the reservoir block,
    and being guided to the next piece of hardware. Will be easier to see later folks, so stay tuned and let me know what you think of the

angled adapters. Should they stay or should they go ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay Tuned Guys!! ​

11. BeckModZ

Final Renders of Res/Mobo Block Before Cut​

So the reservoir/motherboard tray is now in ready to get cut!. While I have 14 days of work ahead of me with 168 hours total, so will not have any time to build in that period.
    But when i get back from work in two weeks, the reservoir block should be arriving at my door.
    Here's some new 3D renders with the cable routing and ssd housing on the backside of the block. Really looking forward to getting this piece home and see how it all comes together!
    So be patient guys, updates will come again when i am home from work in two weeks, and when the reservoir is here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like it !! ​

12. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Can't wait to see that get done.

13. BeckModZ

Installing the PSU while Awaiting Parvum​

So just a small update guys. The reservoir/motherboard block from Parvum, still isn't finished :(
    Really hope it gets done soon, as i hate to keep pushing the deadlines on this project, but i know it's a complicated
    piece of work and that it's better to have everything correct so we dont have to re-do it..
    Also had to re-design the block after sending new meassures, but i think this will look much more sexy when done. Will put in a image of that too.

So while waiting for the block, there's not really anything i can do, want to start sleeving but since the block isn't
    here, i have no idea about the lengths of the wires. So i installed the PSU instead and started thinking about just making the psu side of the cables, and then just cut them long enough

that i can adjust the length once the block is here.
    Well, i have around 4-6cm of freeroom for all the double wires, and just noticed that the 24pin has 11 freakin double wires.. Amazing, so i guess the old soldering iron will come into

play again. Just hope that i can make it neat and that there's enough space to fit all them cables :)

Oh, wait, i also have the next project planned when i am done with this one :)
    An In Win S-Frame project called "Phoenix", with x99 soc Force from gigabyte, and alot of sexy custom waterblocks to be made for it..!
    So have a look out for that one when the blue morpho is finished :)
    Dropped in a few teaser images for that project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now some teaser images for the next project..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like it !! ​

14. BeckModZ

FINALLY!! The Reservoir/Motherboard block has arrived!​

So after waiting way too long for this piece of art, Parvum finally finished the reservoir and motherboard block,
    and i have to say, once again they did an absolutely AMAZING job. The block looks so stunning.
    i unpacked it and instantly tried to see if i could mount it, unfortunally the mount holes was on the wrong side of the block,
    so i had to drill and tap new mounting holes, and also had to tap the rad holder mount.
    So guys, finally here's a small tease of the block and a quick mount of it!
    Really sorry about the white plastic pieces in the block, was lazy and didnt want to open up the block to get it out. (14 days of work and 200hours, im tired!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like it !! cant wait to show you the next updates ​

15. BeckModZ

Need Help With 24Pin Sleeving Design?!​

Since the block is finally here, it is time to start the massive sleeving job!..
    Today i started on the 24pin, and have some troubles choosing what layout to go with, so i took some photos and threw in some numbers on them,
    and hopefully you guys can help me pick the best design, before i go all crazy with all the damn double wires i have to make!
    Take your pick and let me know guys :)

Also added a quick picture of my pinout for the 24pin.. massive! ..Always remember to write down the pinouts before you rip the old cable apart !

And will be using white connectors in the front, instead of black ones, so threw in a photo of the 4pin CPU cable going in through the block, to give you an idea.
    Also i decided that it will look too disturbing to the eyes if using cablecombs,when there's 44 cables in the back that has to be nicely tugged together..
    So instead i will probably go Oldschool and do cable lacing on all 44 cables.
    Hopefully with a very neat looking end result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please write what number you like the most, so i can get started with the 24pin. ​

16. BeckModZ

Sleeving and Installing Blocks​

So the past week i've been busy doing all the sleeving, and I'm still not done... I started with the cable lacing, (takes forever!), and i'm not sure i want to use the

blue cotton thread because it looks fluffy. So probably going to get some waxed blue thread instead and redo it.
    Anyways i will attach a few images below so you can see what i mean.

I also installed all the waterblocks and fittings today, and see if i can find the best looking way to do the tubing, this weekend.
    Another thing i have been doing is drilling 14 holes on the backside of the reservoir and tapped them, then mounted some standoffs that will keep the clear plexi plate in

place, which is going to keep all the cables neatly in place.. At least thats the idea, dont know how it'g going to look yet.

Almost forgot! Been trying a few options out for the placement of the powerbutton, and ended up bending some acrylic under the rad, and installed the button in that.
    Not done with it yet though!.. need some fine adjustments and maybe some blue vinyl.. Originally i was going to put an LCD temp in the acrylic piece also, but we'll see :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned guys, soon more sleeving and also the tubing is getting done soon! ​

17. eucalyptus

eucalyptus I am 19 and Swedish!

I have said it before, and I have told you on Facebook, I F-word LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is so many D-frames, but this is definitely the best one, or in the same class as L3P's one ;)

Mike you are doing an amazing work! Be proud of yourself and hope you are enjoying every second of it.

I love it, and you know I do, so writing a novel about how great you are aren't necessary :D :D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

18. BeckModZ

Thanks to much Seb!! .. you cant imagine how happy that makes me feel :D !!..
    really happy you enjoy the work i do! :)
    Your own "Project Three Leaves" was an amazing project aswell!! good job !

19. soxism

soxism What's a Dremel?

Your level of craftmanship is amazing. Thanking for sharing this build so far!

20. BeckModZ

Allmost Done Sleeving!​

Thank GOD, i am allmost done with all the sleeving.. The cable lacing took forever and was hard on my OCD haha.
    I still have to arrange them a little more neat and close together, and also sand the edges of the acrylic window that holds them in place.
    But leaving the cables alone for a while and have started doing all the tubing, Just to get my mind on something else than lacing!

Anyways, here's a few photos of the sleeving result so far, hope you enjoy it, and i'm sure it will look very nice once it's all done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]