1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Tom Clancy's The Division Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 16 Mar 2016.

1. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I don't know, it looks pretty damn good all settings at max.

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Nowhere near as good as what it looked like at the unveiling 2yrs ago.

..but then Ubisoft has a history when it comes to such shenanigans, Watchdogs being the other high profile visual downgrade.

3. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Watchdogs yeah but The Division hasn't been hit anywhere near as hard. It's actually pretty well optimised for an Ubi game.

4. Firejack

Firejack What's a Dremel?

Even with the "visual downgrade" The Division is one of the best looking games I've ever played. The game engine Snowdrop *is the best* game engine I've ever used. The amount of detail is just mind blowing at times. There are some truly spectacular city views. The weather and lighting effects are stunning too. Then there is the fire from flame-throwers and burning building that are the most fluid and real I've seen in a game.

Server performance is great. Had 2 disconnects in the first 24 hours but other then that its worked every time and been super smooth. No loading screens as you move around the world either. Probably the most seemless implementation I've seen in an open world multiplayer game as you transition between zones.

Then there is some chilling intricate level design (even in buildings not part of the main story or side missions!) I walked into 1 house with biohazard vehicles outside, inside it was a house with kitchen, lounge and everything was normal. Went upstairs and there was yellow warning tape over one of the doors. inside was all sorts of objects crammed into those yellow plastic bio hazard bags and then you look closer and realise its a small kid sized bed, with a ruck sack open on the floor with school books falling out and the piercing sound of the alarm clock drilling into your brain on the bedside table. Just amazing how they have setup such an intense atmosphere.

I find the Group Coop side of the game the most enjoyable running Missions and venturing into the Dark Zone. Exploring is best done by yourself when you have the time to check out every parking garage, sewer and cafe to find all the subtle clues to what has happened to the people in the city.

Looks like we'll be getting solid support from the developers with new features and content. With this and what I've seen so far I believe this "Very good" game might turn into a "Great" game in the upcoming months.

5. biebiep

biebiep What's a Dremel?

Did you mean to make that pun about JayZ and Beyonce with DayZ and Destiny's Child?

Because I know it's also two PC games, but that closing statement is Pure Gold.

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I think that was the general plan with the line ;)

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This.

It raised a hearty chuckle.

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Indeed it looks fantastic and runs very well on the PS4. I can only imagine that it will look even better maxed out on the PC (IIRC the PS4/Xbone builds are something equivalent to "high" settings).

I am still surprised that people are surprised about visual downgrades occurring between a games announcement / early previews and release. Do we forget what Crysis looked like in the early stages compared to release?

I am really enjoying my time with the Division atm. Currently at level 21 running through the missions with the Mrs & taking my time. There is a lot of depth to the gameplay beyond just running and gunning (synergising skills / talents makes a MASSIVE difference) and the DZ can hilarious fun in a group.

I got the Gold edition (base game + season pass) for £49 so I am not complaining about the price.

9. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Played a few hours yesterday on a friends account and wasn't immediately impressed, especially given the price. I'll give it another go today (to at least justify the 32GB download) before deciding if I really want to shell out 80 Canadian pesos.

10. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

i played the beta and enjoyed it but wasn't addicted, i am glad i did because i would have bought it on release and played about 5 hours and never picked it up again.

If beta access is anything, its a new version of the old school demo!

11. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

I watched someone play this for about 10 minutes, said "meh" and went back to Borderlands 2.

12. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

I really like it, fwiw.

13. E1TSY

E1TSY A cog in the bit-tech machine

I must say, for someone who doesn't favor the 3rd person view and is not a huge fan of "grinding" in games to collect coin and loot......i really like it :)

Currently Lvl 30 and DZ lvl 15 it was nice being able to run the missions / explore / be a bit of completest and now have another entire concept to play with in the Dark Zone is keeping me interested.

BUT.. its great now, i just hope the DLC Keeps me hooked

14. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

I've really enjoyed this game, i prefer this to most shooters, its more my kinda game than the other shooter type games out their, Not experienced the PVP side of things but i have been slowly plodding along the main story, the game seams to have a fair bit going on looking forward to seeing this games end!

15. cps1974

cps1974 What's a Dremel?

purchased for £30 including season pass (the gold edition) for Xbox One, certainly wouldn't have wanted to pay the RRP, still enjoying the game although I get the points raised in the review

Tags: Add Tags