1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Logitech Racing Wheel Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GTIgeneral, 29 Mar 2016.

1. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

After seeing so many people buying these wheels today thought I would start a thread to discuss them.

So who here managed to pick one up for £99?

I managed to snag one for £89 but have to wait for it to be delivered to the store :( already looking at the different shifter options, quite like the SHH Shifter

Last edited: 29 Mar 2016
  2. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

I think this should include the g25/g27 as well

3. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

So whats everyone playing? I only had my wheel today, only had an hour to play with it so gave it a quick go on GRID Autosport, bit of a nightmare to set up but got there in the end I think.

4. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Playing assetto corsa alot recently. Debating on getting project cars to add to the library

5. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

I really like the looks of project cars, going to leave it a few weeks before i buy it, want to get a shifter first and build a stand.

6. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

I received a G29 that had been opened and resealed. Probably not a big deal to a lot of people but I have OCD and wasn't very happy about it. I'll get it swapped but have to wait for them to get more in stock first.

I'd like to get a shifter too, I gather the Logitech one is functional but a bit toylike, I'd be happy enough with one of those I think but only for £25-£30 not the full RRP. I like the look of the TH8A but it's too expensive. I'd also need to build some sort of stand to mount one to as it'd be too high on my desk.

7. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

I tried the other night and had real difficulty. Any tips to make it work please?

8. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

I'll have a look tonight and try to work out what I done. I really like the look and feel of the wheel but the drivers and support is absolutely terrible for something that costs the best part of £200. If i had paid full price I probably would have taken it back for a refund.

I got a DFGT on the way as well, I bought it on ebay a few days before the G29 offer was put up on HUKD, I've heard that the DFGT is much easier to set up and use.

9. subset7

subset7 Spanking the Monkey

I bought one of these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheel-Stand-Pro-Logitech-Racing/dp/B004AYMCRG
    A bit expensive but it's well made,adjustable and very sturdy.

10. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

I find it hard to believe that they are sturdy with a single vertical suppport, my father's knocking me something up in the week, he's a furniture maker by trade so should be okay

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

11. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

I'll only need a stand if I get a shifter so I can mount it low by my side rather than on my desk next to the wheel. I don't need a stand for the wheel itself as my desk is good enough for that and I don't have room for a separate stand and/or seat anyway.

As far as games are concerned I'm most looking forward to playing Project CARS when the wheel's sorted as so far I've only played it with an xbox controller. I'm tempted to get Assetto Corsa too at some point as I've heard good things and it looks awesome but I'm yet to see a decent sale on it. Shift 2 was by far the best game I played with the DFGT so I want to fire that up again to see how the wheels compare. I have several other driving and racing games in my library too like ETS2, the GRID franchise, Dirt3, Spintires etc. and I'll be happy to jump into any of them with you guys. Be warned though I'm not very good at driving games in general so if you take them really seriously and get annoyed having average drivers on the track it's probably best you avoid me, at least for the time being.

If anyone wants to add me you can find me on Steam here.

12. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

The brake pedal on my set feels different to my old g27. There is a small dead zone of about 1.5 inches travel before the pedal pretty much goes rock hard.

The dead zone is standard I presume, but can you guys confirm that yours is the same please?

13. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

I cant test mine at the moment but most games have an option for changing the dead zones

14. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

It's not 'in game' I am talking about.... I mean just the general feel of the pedal itself. The feeling under foot. There is very little resistance for about 1 to 2 inches travel and then the pedal goes pretty much rock hard.

15. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I went got the G920 in the sales, also managed to make use of some credit on TopCashBack to reduce what I paid to £55. Paid an extra £5 for Saturday delivery though as I couldn't get time off work for a weekday delivery.

Had to detach the small plastic bits from the clamp arms as my desk is rather thick but it now sits on it quite nicely, just the right height as well with my monitor sitting on a raised unit.
    [​IMG]

Ignore the messy desk... I've since re-arranged everything and tidied up the cables from that quick photo, the wheel now sits on the right end of the mouse mat with the pedals next to the leg and the flight pedals sit to the left of the desk leg. That way I can sit in the middle when using the keyboard & mouse or slightly to the side when either playing a driving/flight game.

I had the same impression with my G920, the brake pedal feels a hell of a lot stiffer than what I remember from the old G27.
    Tested it a little bit in both Dirt 2 and RaceRoom, without any in-game adjustments on the sensitivity I had to put some serious commitment into braking... I can get used to putting a little bit more pressure on that pedal but it definitely threw me off.

16. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

The pedal set I can confirm has different spring rates in compared to the g27. The brake should feel more like the real thing instead of just hitting the deck.

17. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

Ok thanks for the reply :thumb:

18. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

I've had the G29 for 2 weeks now and can confirm the same feel on the brake pedal. I've been playing Assetto Corsa (badly) for most of that period and changed the brake settings so I hit full brakes without having to massively hit the brakes. I don't mind the pressure but I have wooden floors and a chair on casters, so go flying backwards if I need to work the brakes too hard.

19. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

20. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

It's listed so I assume it will have a proper profile for the wheel yes. I've also seen reviews of the wheel that tested with Assetto Corsa.

[​IMG]

EDIT: 12m18s into that review they discuss games tested on PC, Assetto Corsa (at the time of the review) had no default profile for the G29 so they used the G27 profile.