1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Portable/mobile phone charger

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 7 Apr 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I'm going to get something like this for my Android tablet. Usually you would go on the MAH but most of them lie so I would just get one on Amazon and make sure you read the reviews thoroughly.

Let me know which one you get though dude.

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Well Sam you said it but you are quite correct, one does need to give thought on where to carry this type of thing. So may go for that one as size is batter than the two I linked to above. I am only looking.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Many of them have nowhere near the capacity they claim. The 30,000mAh one is unlikely to be anywhere close to that. I've bought, tested and returned a load of them and the only trustworthy manufacturer I've found is Lumsing. I have a few of these and after 18 months they all have around 90-95% of their original capacity.

Bear in mind that due to losses when charging a device, mainly due to heat, they only deliver around 80% of their stated capacity.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Thanks. I'm looking at something pretty hefty for my tablet tbh. Don't really care about size or weight, the longer it can power my tablet the better. Once I start gaming on it the battery only lasts about half an hour (£40 tablet what do you expect really?).

It runs the Nintendo DS flawlessly though, so I can forgive the battery life due to the price :)

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

8. KID52

KID52 Minimodder

I've found the Xiaomi 10000mAh power bank to be excellent, as well as actually having the stated capacity.

In the past it has been on sale as low as £8, but unfortunately seems to be out of stock, or quite expensive at the moment.

http://www.gearbest.com/power-banks/pp_187685.html

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

10. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

I second the Xaiomi bank, it's remarkably well finished for such a cheap Chinese product.

11. KID52

KID52 Minimodder

12. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

we got some made up at work for a marketing campaign.

mines an 11,000 mAh and can usually do around 4 full charges of either my iphone or my sony experia m4 aqua.

they are massively useful :)

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I have one of the Anker units that jinq-sea linked in his post above. It's good for about one and a half charges of my mobile, and it's also pretty small so fits in a pocket of my bag (not makeup bag) no bother.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have been revising my thinking given the size of Xaiomi and have been looking at the Anker unit.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2016
  16. Splooshiba

Splooshiba Minimodder

I'd advise the Anker lipstick sized one if you just want it for backup, its small enough for me to chuck in my bag no matter how light I'm travelling. Hasn't got the capacity for multiple recharges though.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2016
  17. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Another vote for Anker here. We've bought a laptop batteries, phone batteries and a couple of portable chargers from them. I've got my eye on: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgraded-Ca...UTF8&qid=1460220617&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+mah
    to throw in my laptop bag when my current portable charger dies.
    There are some smaller models if you need something more portable. I currently run two phone batteries so that one is charging whilst the other is in use and I always have a fresh battery for my S4.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Thats actually quite good for any Li-ion based battery, isn't it?

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

With a near unlimited number of USB ports to charge from in my van and on my work bench and office desks, I don't find myself with a dead device very often, but just in case I do need a boost of juice in one of my phones or my iPad I'm currently carrying an Anker PowerCore 20100mAh backup battery in my daily backpack. Can't recommend it highly enough and they're only £25 on Amazon. All of the (many) Anker products I have at the moment are top notch. They're fast becoming one of my favourite manufacturers.

20. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

It's not bad but you do have to discharge and charge them every couple of months and I tend to only charge them to around 90% of full capacity if I can.

I measure the capacity of all the battery that require, directly or indirectly, a USB charger after being ripped off with over specified, fake or old batteries claiming to be new and check them every now and then.

I've had a Lithium battery 'pop' on me so am wary of fakes especially.

I'm currently on the lookout for a genuine iPhone 4 battery.