1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor dims on boot

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ModSquid, 13 Apr 2016.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Chaps,

Another hair-pulling, teeth-gnashing incident at my end. Again. I do seem to have the most unusual issues appear from seemingly nowhere...

This time, my monitor has started dimming itself. I noticed this when I returned it from sleep the other day; I thought a reboot would sort the issue but no joy. I then upgraded the drivers for the monitor and the GeForce Experience but nothing.

It actually blue screened when installing the GeForce stuff, so I rebooted and watched it this time and it seems to dim shortly after POST and stay dim through to desktop. Hitting the Auto-config button brightens it up to its prior level for a few seconds whilst it does its thinking, but then it drops back off to dim again. There's no play in the menus for adjustment upwards and nothing in Win 7 power settings. Is this backlight related and, if so, why does it get brighter when trying to auto adjust?

For reference, the BSOD messages were 0x0...7E and something called nvlddmkm.sys which is apparently Nvidia driver-related. The primary monitor is fine, so doubly weird.

Any assistance gratefully received!

2. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

hi,
    what model of monitor?
    I had a similar issue with Dell monitor many moons ago. Turned out to have set itself to dynamic brightness and was changing brightness in response to light levels in the room. Even to the point of someone walking past and casting a little bit of shadow.
    This was when having a light sensor on a monitor was very unusual.

Could also be set to `eco mode`, the auto config will assume full control during the config and then go back to the mode selected so you will get a temporary increase in brightness as it does it's thing.

All the best
    S.

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

It's an Acer AL2416W - fairly old but as a second screen it's fine (apart from this issue, obviously). It's hooked up via VGA, too.

I checked the OSD for an Eco mode and nothing there - it's too old/basic to have a dynamic mode so I'm not sure it's that, but I did just perform a reset wherein it did exactly the same as when using auto config and brightened up before dimming again.

Just to be sure I then did another auto config and the same thing happened. Net result = still dim.

Cheers for the suggestion though - appreciated.

4. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

Hmmm, weird. The fact that it is fine on reset but not in normal use suggests an input/AD convertor issue.
    Manual is here http://linfotech.co.uk/schematics/Acer/Acer AL2416w.pdf

Have you tried via the DVI port, even with a convertor, might rule out the AD convertor if it has DVI.
    Was hoping to find a factory reset/service menu in the pdf above but can't see one.
    Sorry I couldn't help more.
    All the best.
    S.

5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Right.

Am closing down/clearing up my posts so a) things aren't left unresolved; and b) if anyone else searches on Google (or their engine of choice, let's not be favouritist) in the future, they can get some answers.

That said, I have no idea why this issue is now fixed, but we had a power cut the other day and now the monitor is fine. I'd even tried killing the power to it myself to reset it but no joy.

I do love/hate it when problems fix themselves without explanation, as in this case it means I'll have to trip the breakers if it happens again.

Oh well.