1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Upgrade to Windows 10 now, warns Microsoft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 May 2016.

1. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Using Windows 10 since they first made it available as a 'Developer Preview', I'm firmly convinced that I will never use Windows 10 as it exists today. From the lack of UI skinning (RIP Aero Glass, Win2k skin, etc.), to the horrendous control panel(s), to the inability to control Windows Updates, I have zero interest in 'upgrading'.

I have been using Windows 7 since 2009. I think it's awesome, even if I wish they had kept some things like they were in Win2k/XP, but generally I think it's great. I currently have Windows Updates disabled because I have lost trust in Microsoft to create a proper OS again, let alone listen to its users.

The way things are shaping up, I will still be using Windows 7 come 2020, with only critical updates vetted and installed by hand. Maybe Microsoft will have wizened up by then...

2. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

That's not good practice to turn off the Windows updates. Patching vulnerabilities is far more important.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

So it's still fine to use on the PC you originally upgraded? I assume that's what people are wanting to do anyway, keep the key so in the future at some point when they're happier using W10 they can upgrade for free.

4. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I've actually enjoyed Win 10 and I'm not usually good with changes. But reading some of your comments in various places I am learning all the little tricks and shortcuts. I'm actually glad i amde the change.

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I used four different operating systems today.

Win 7 on my laptop, Android on my new phone (Samsung S4), Ubuntu 14.xx LTS on my dad's computer, and Windows 10 on a 7" tablet he bought for my stepmother, but she didn't take to so I inherited. All of them allowed me to access programs, browse the web, find and manage files, and change settings on the device. Basically they all worked as operating systems.

The differences between the four are admittedly smaller than their similarities, and come down to things like ease of use, how well adapted they are to their native platform, and how visually appealing they are.

All of which is a long way of saying I've now had my first hands on-experience with Windows 10 (on the tablet) and while it may be an adequate OS, I can comfortably say it was my least favorite of the four. The live tiles are ugly, horribly distracting with their animations, and did I mention ugly? Some of it may be a bad match between the OS and the device, but I'm just not seeing the therortical advantages of 10.

Since I too have Windows Update turned off until the free upgrade offer goes away, I'll quite contentedly stay with 7 indefinatly. As for the tablet, I think it will get a little holder next to the toilet where it will be used to browse while I'm, um, dowloading.

6. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Unless your original licence is retail as the upgrade does not change the licence type. I have done this on a new motherboard (old one died) and used a retail windows 8 key from the old system. Called Microsoft and got the old UID removed and a new one updated.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I've registered for free copies for all our PCs does that mean I actually have to install windows 10 before July or will it be available later as I've registered?

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I wouldn't have believed that, had it not happened to me recently with my 8.1 Alienware install disc.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=302534

Microsoft sure are being aggressive !

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Don't forget that the "free upgrade" ties your key to your machine even if you upgraded from a retail edition of 7/8.

10. Vault-Tec

I actually wanted to go back tbh. I'd had several issues with 10 and was stuck on a very early version that would not update. The one I downloaded and reinstalled is completely different to the launch version I had installed.

No chance of that now though, but thankfully this version is much more stable with only a couple of minor niggles.

11. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

Not true.
    An OEM version is tied to one machine forever but a retail version includes transfer rights to any number of machines going forward, as long as it's a single activated installation.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...l/4a3ec7d2-fced-48bf-99a8-04cb71dae9d5?auth=1

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.
    If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

I can't believe that even after all this time, people are still peddling FUD.

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. The "free upgrade" is only for the PC on which your retail Windows is currently installed. It won't carry over to a later install on a different PC. If it would the 29 July 2016 deadline would be meaningless (which I think it is, for entirely different reasons).

If you upgrade to Windows 10 now and then roll back to e.g. Windows 7 you should be able to install Windows 10 again at a later date, even after 29 July 2016, but only on exactly *this* PC.

Now, one thing is certain: A retail license, which is transferable, will NOT turn into a license locked to the current device. But AFAIK, after 29 July 2016 your retail Windows 7/8/8.1 license will not automatically give you the right to upgrade to Windows 10.

What this all boils down to is that the "free upgrade" is only "free" for your current system. Not for something you might build after the deadline. At least that's how I understand things.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Thanks in no small part to Microsoft themselves, they've not exactly made it common knowledge that if you want to reinstall a copy of Windows 10 that was upgraded from a retail qualifying product on new hardware that you need to speak to customers support.

That's not my understanding, when talking about Windows 10 that's been upgraded from a retail copy of a qualifying product you can transfer your copy of Windows 10 to new hardware but you'd need to contact Microsoft customer support to explain whats happened.

Basically all copies of Windows 10 are technically OEM versions but if you can prove to Microsoft you upgraded to it from a retail product they'll reactivate it when you ask them to on your new hardware.

Last edited: 7 May 2016
  14. Vault-Tec

I didn't need to. I tried installing 8.1 and it was asking for a serial so I booted a 10 install stick I made and it went straight on and activated with 10.

So basically I can just do fresh installs of 10 now and believe it or not if I wanted to go back to 8.1 I would have to call Alienware and get a new motherboard fitted :O

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry i should have said after July.

16. south side sammy

south side sammy What's a Dremel?

so pretty soon I can install that windows seven operating system I've been sitting on and won't have to worry about Herr Hitler trying to make me install something I don't want........ by "accident" no less.

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Aaaaaaand Godwin!

18. nkata

nkata What's a Dremel?

I upgraded from 7 Ultimate to 10 pro and can confirm that the upgrade is a retail part therefore should be fine for any future machine

Last edited: 13 May 2016
  19. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I'm still unsure if I should move my rig to Win10, but i cant say why not, nor why i should. Anyone want to spell out the pros and cons?

20. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

For me the loss of any skinning ability (Win2k-style & Aero UI in Win7, for example), the lack of control over updates (forcibly installed, no information), the forced telemetrics (can't turn them off) and the further uglification of the control panel are just some of the things which put me off Win10.

Windows 10 is an unimaginative, bland, forceful, opaque and untrustworthy operating system. Beyond some technical improvements it brings absolutely nothing which would make it an upgrade over Windows 7.