1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia outs Pascal-based GTX 1070, GTX 1080

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 May 2016.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yup the Polaris card is the successor to the 390 and 390x, will supposedly be called the 490 and will offer VR for £200 basically. High end Polaris is miles off you'll be lucky to see that this time next year, probably late summer knowing how AMD launch (ages after Nvidia lol).

The only thing I am a little skeptical about with regards to the 1070 is its like, macho performance. The 970 was good at 1080p but go over that and its weak structure started to show. At 4k it was a bit of a mess due to the weak memory bus. I predict that the 1070 will be fantastic for 1080p and possibly 1440p but at 4k the cracks will begin to appear.

Either way I've pretty much decided to buy none. I'm stuck at 1440p (where I want to be) and I could very easily switch back to my Titan Black which is under AIO and with the extra VRAM it would probably be a better card to use than a Fury X.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

To be honest, anyone buying a 4k monitor shouldn't be buying a 970 and expecting to get 60fps anyway should they?

I've got no desire to go any faster at present either - I've not noticed any judder in VR at all with the 980ti. I'll probably wait for the 1080ti and get that.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, the 970 is a great card, but it's not a 4K card. It's a monster at 1080p and solid at 1440p, but criticising it for not being good at 4K is a bit silly imo.

I'm keeping a watching brief on Pascal but as I only run a 1200p monitor and aren't interested in VR, I'll wait and see what the 1070 (and probably 1060) are like before jumping in.

Also, I was wondering if Vault-Tec could confirm that he has, at some point, bought at least one Titan Black, as he seems to mention it in every second post :rolleyes: :D

4. Vault-Tec

Not really. Loads of people bought two for 4k and CPC were recommending it themselves. The 970 is SLi capable, and thus would have been good for 4k had it not had a crappy memory pipe.

THE most tragic idiotic thing I have ever done. So maybe if I explain it to enough people they won't make the same mistake I did. Don't get me wrong it was a once in a lifetime itch I wanted to scratch but in hindsight was probably THE dumbest thing I ever did.

5. Zarrex

Zarrex What's a Dremel?

no HBM2 either! Is there a technical reason for that or is it just a marketing strategy ?

6. Vault-Tec

That comes later with the 1080ti and Titan Stupid (tm). In other words pay $700 for a founders 1080 now, then in six months time Nvidia will do you a right favour and bring out a card twice as powerful for twice as much !!oneoneeleven (or something).

Jokes aside yeah, you won't see that any time soon and when you do it will be eye wateringly expensive.

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

LOL I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that.:D

8. rollo

rollo Modder

If Nvidia is too expensive do not buy them? Said it before at least in GPU market you have a choice if your willing to wait. AMD will launch eventually something that will compete.

Most are probably looking at the 1070 depending on how it performs.

9. Vault-Tec

From what I am hearing the 1060 won't be totally derped this round and could actually be as good as a 970. They are going to sell for, you guessed it, £200. Or maybe even less.

But that's just rumour so take that with a healthy pinch of sodium chloride. However, it does make sense given that they know what AMD are up to.

10. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Is funny, after a lot of digging, there is no going to be hardware Async support on those NV cards.

So, best case, the 1080 going to marginally beat the 290X in DX12 games, and maybe be in par with that card on Mantle errr Vulcan games.

11. Vault-Tec

There has already been DX12 benches done on Ashes of Singularity and it was much faster than a Titan X.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

but only matching a furyx - which still says to me this is a die shrunk maxwell

13. Vault-Tec

It could be dude tbh. Maybe it's only really the clock speed that is making the difference?

Obviously this GDRX memory or whatever it's called will make a big difference?

People do need to stay grounded and remember these cards are mid range silicon, so will likely be smashed to bits by the HBM2 cards. The only problem is (as we have seen) HBM is expensive. AMD were reigned in by the 980ti when releasing the Fury X but Nvidia won't be when they release the Titan Stupid.

The problem with AMD's cards is that most of what they promise is there but it just comes far too late. For example, Vishera isn't that bad when all 8 cores are supported (which is hardly ever). The 390 and 390x spec wise are far beyond the 970 and 980 but none of that has been used yet so it's all a moot point. And by the time Fury X could kick some ass it will be utterly choked by 4gb.

I've not had any issues with 1440p *yet* but when I looked at the driver notes for the latest Crimson it mentioned that you needed to lower the shadows on the new Hitman to low. This spells running out of VRAM as they did the same thing with Tomb Raider (they didn't outright admit it but they said you needed to run the game on high instead of very high).

AMD are still determined to invent the wheel it seems, whilst Nvidia learned from their concrete wheel Fermi and have moved onto making light weight tyres.

AMD could have finally gotten it absolutely smack on with Polaris so what do they do? release it late. At which point it will probably be too late and Nvidia would have wiped the floor with them again.

Going back to the 390 and 390x being far more masculine cards than the 970 and 980... They sure are, but Nvidia released the right thing at the right time (1080p/1440p cards that were crap at DX12) and now guess what? they can convince pretty much every body that now they can have a DX12 and VR card for just $699.

I hate Nvidia for mostly the same reasons I hate Apple. However, it's kind of a love filled hate because the f***ers just keep getting everything right.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I've tried looking but i can't find any info on it matching the FuryX, everything I've seen says it beat the FuryX.
    Granted not by much so maybe I've not found the right benchmark.

15. Georgecaldwell

Georgecaldwell What's a Dremel?

LOL! Now my 970 SC is old and slow compared to the new 1070! From the words of old Frankie, That's life! I expected the new series to be noticeably faster, but not over 50% faster. I feel for AMD. I hope their new CPU's are good. AMD is going to need it. But hopefully AMD launches a GCN based card to match at'least the 1070.

16. Georgecaldwell

Georgecaldwell What's a Dremel?

17. Vault-Tec

*sits and shakes his head very slowly*

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Wait for anandtech results in truth. Much more relivent game lists. More so than bit tech in some ways.

20. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

well so far we have 1 DX12 game with results anyway....