1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 980, 81° whilst gaming?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 9 May 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Is this too hot or not. I have CAM software installed which popped after a session playing the increasingly frustrating 'The Division.' Should I be concerned?

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

What were the fans doing? That seems pretty normal if they were on a silent profile.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think the fans are on silent mode though I am not certain as I am still trying to figure out how to use this CAM software with the Grid+ v2 fan controller which gives you buckets of info which of course may or may not be useful. But if you say it is pretty normal then great and thanks.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

80C is the typical point where the GTX980 starts dropping the boost, thus keeping it at that temperature most of the time. This has nothing to do with the fan controller for your case fans, it is how GTX980 behaves. Passive* until ~63C, limiting boost around ~80C.

*with exceptions if some manufacturer decided to drop the passive mode.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks for the info. And I know that the Grid+ fan controller has no impact on the GPU what I was trying to say was with CAM now installed I have a wealth of information which I did not have prior to the installation.

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

That's fine, my GTX980Ti's hit up to 86c when gaming until I manage to get them watercooled.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks all for putting my mind at ease.

8. Bogdan

Bogdan What's a Dremel?

For your and our comfort, please use MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z and monitor the GPU during gaming. You can alter the fan speeds with Afterburner and monitor the Graphics Card with GPU-Z (including frequencies, TDP, voltage, and what limits the boost).

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

You what?

I am not knowledgeable to use this, not for the first time I have almost trashed a GPU.

10. Bogdan

Bogdan What's a Dremel?

Download the GPU-Z app and run it, it will tell you everything about your GPU including frecuency, temperatures, TDP, Voltage and even ASIC Quality.
    MSI Afterburner is used for overclocking but you can use it to change the RPM of the fans.

I wanted to say "for your peace of mind".

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have a upgrade coming this week so I may well install MSI Afterburner or the Evga one when that is done.

Last edited: 11 May 2016
  12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Kronos - you're looking a bit rude here. English might not be the poster's first language. Please try to focus on the help being given rather than the semantics. Cheers.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

My apologies I thought I was being light hearted, certainly did not mean to offend.

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Marginal necro, but people always say 80+ degrees is fine for GPUs - but what's the impact on their lifespan, realistically? 'Cos GPUs in laptops fail all the damn time, and temperature leading to solder cracking is usually the cited reason (GPU failures rose exponentially after the introduction of lead-free solder).

Isn't there a safe temperature below which solder doesn't age and crack? And if so, isn't it fair to assume we're all exceeding it on a regular basis, still, given that our graphics cards all eventually die?

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I use afterburner and have an aggressive fan profile so for me above 80 the fan is really ramped up

16. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

My GTX 980 never gets much above 40-50°C. What cooler do you have on your graphics card - is it the blower style, or the style with 3 fans? (mine is 3 fans)

Either way, best to check your fan profile (i.e. fan speed vs. temperature).