1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Civilisation VI announced in new trailer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by JakeTucker, 11 May 2016.

1. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

2. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

End Oct and November are gone then.

3. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

That's my Xmas holiday sorted :)

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Clash of Civ

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I've tried Civ a couple of times throughout the versions and it's never been able to grab me. AoE II was one of the first games I ever played on my first PC and I was instantly hooked.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Balls - there goes another few hundred hours of my life :hehe: I barely feel like I've scratched the surface with V but Steam tells me that I've played 113 hours which is only second to Prison Architect :)

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

That's nothing compared to the time RPG/MMORPG players, like me, put into games! Definitely interested in Civ VI, as an alternative to my usual games that is going to need plenty of thought to play.

8. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Yep, just hope the vanilla game is worth playing, and we don't have to wait for the expansion packs before it gets really good (like Civ V). Still, like others on here, I can see this becoming a time sink for me when it's released.

9. Risky

Risky Modder

The game I liked most in the series was the offshoot "Alpha Centuri" - I think having different politics/philosophy rather than race/nationality worked better.

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

As someone who had played over 500 hours of civ 5 (my longest played steam game by a long margin) this is pretty exciting. Although beyond earth was pretty disappointing, technically it was fine but it lacked a soul compared to civ5.

Wonder if sean bean will also narrate the techs and wonders or if it just the trailer?

11. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

Agh, I was really hoping for VR, and a globular(?) world as a nice change to the engine. It'd be nice alongside some DX12/Vulkan goodness.

Just going off to read the PC Gamer stuff now. Video needs Flash by the looks of things; FF on Android.

12. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Yeah, that was a terrible trailer. And what's with the censored nipples?

13. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I hope they don't waste even a second of development time on VR for this game.

14. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

American market safe! War, murder, torture is AOK, but a pair of nipples!

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It's probably just me, but I didn't think V was particularly great, and although IV was good once the expansions came out, it wasn't amazing either. It seems like a case of diminishing returns with this series, which is to be expected, but for £50 this would have to be all sorts of new and amazing to tempt me. For me, it just feels like the series has become a bit stale.

I don't know, maybe it's like the World Cup - your favourite is basically the earliest one that you remember properly. For me that would be Civ 1 (and Mexico '86 :D).

16. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

The base game isn't that great, to be fair. But...add G&K and BNW into the mix, and V is, to my mind, by far the best in the series.

17. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Civ 3 is one of my alltime fave games.

I could never get on with civ 4 or 5. Far too fluffy for my liking.

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

This is part of my issue with the Civ games though, because IV was the same - the base game was so-so, but the expansions really improved it. I fully expect VI to follow the same pattern, and whilst I appreciate that every man and his dog does DLC these days, I think it's a bit much that you have to shell out for a couple of expansions in order to get mechanics that should be in the game from day one.

Obviously you can vote with your wallet and not buy said expansions, or wait for a GOTY edition or whatever, but when the base game is £50 then it's a bit much to then pay £20 a pop for a couple of expansions.

19. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

But those are proper expansions and not DLC. DLC for civ are extra civilizations, maps, scenarios. Then compared to COD, Ass creed, etc with their annual release cycle and ever increasing price + DLC, CIV expansions are a bargain.
    And they are released what, every 2 years? That would mean dev cycle of new game would be 6+ years. Very few game studios can survive that long polishing a game and not releasing anything.
    Also, imo, CIV with all expansion content on day 1 would be very inaccessible to newcomers. Now, with each iteration they can attract a new generation of gamers.

20. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

Interesting to see the divide here. I really enjoyed Civ 5 (although I do have G&K and BNW) and between me and my other half we have an embarrassing amount of hours on it.

I am looking forward to Civ 6 as wasn't a fan of Beyond Earth... not sure why but it just never drew me in.

There are some interesting changes, although the major overall for Civ 6 seems to be the cities. I hope that doesn't make it too complicated but I am excited to see how it will work. Also interesting to see unit stacking (to a certain extent) is back!

Tags: Add Tags