1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Worth an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by docodine, 6 May 2016.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I haven't been following PC hardware closely for the last 2-3 years, and I'm curious if current gen hardware has gotten quick enough to warrant an upgrade. I've noticed that my PC has gotten a bit sluggish with my current workflow :(

CPU: i7-3820
    HSF: Noctua NH-U12S
    MOBO: X79 Sabertooth
    RAM: 4x4GB Corsair DDR3-1600
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB (more than enough for me, I don't really play games anymore)
    CASE: HAF XB
    Storage: Samsung 830 + Crucial M4 + ~10TB total spinning disks

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'm definitely biased as I'm using hardware a lot older than yours, but I'd say there's no real need to upgrade. It does depend on your workflow, though - what specifically are you doing that feels sluggish? The only real upgrade for your current platform would be a hexcore CPU, and it's not really an upgrade unless your workflow can take advantage of the extra cores.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Nah there's an 8 core 16 thread Xeon you can pick up for around £90 that will be quite a bit better as it's Ivybridge E.

Look on Ebay for E5 2670

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Xeo...006836?hash=item2368607374:g:cSEAAOSw2GlXJlV6

There you go, £84.99.

4. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Might be worth upgrading if you look at the latest storage protocol and usb 3.1 gen 2. Need splash of the cash though.

docodine likes this.
  5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

tbh the 3820 isn't that special on its own, with the 2011 socket id stick something with more threads like a Xeon if your software can take advantage.

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Might be worth exploring this a bit further.

Is the workflow the same but the performance more sluggish? If so, why? If your issue is software, drivers or workflow related, or even due to a hardware 'issue' then upgrading some components may not address the root cause.

Has it really got slower or are you more productive than previous and notice the PC waiting times that previously were your thinking time?

If you're happy that you're using your hardware / software effectively without 'issues' then any 'work an upgrade?' questions comes down to your opinion on the performance benefits vs cost & hassle.

7. docodine

I should say that my workflow has changed and is now a bit sluggish. I didn't really work from my PC before, mainly just played video games.

I ordered an E5-2670, they're only $60 on eBay. Thanks for the tip Vault-Tec

8. docodine

Got the E5-2670 installed today, seems to be a bit better. Thanks all!

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Excellent :)