1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards New Motherboard curved?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpyderBombz, 14 May 2016.

1. SpyderBombz

SpyderBombz What's a Dremel?

I just got a refurbished(customer return I believe) Asus Z97 motherboard from eBay and there's a very definite curve to it

http://i.imgur.com/DG3sUzH.jpg

Is this normal? Or should I send it back and spend a little more to get a brand new one?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

2. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

PCBs do have a tendency to warp and twist, so it may not be damaged per se. Not knowing the manufactures spec though it's hard to say what whether this snuck through quality control or is acceptable.

3. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

It's quite common, theres a lot of flex in the pcb, once its installed and screwed securely it will straighten out. Obviously check theres no cracks in the pcb though. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, theres even photo's on manufacturers product pages with clearly warped boards.

Last edited: 14 May 2016
  4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

although it may of tested working, if it was me id be sending it back. Mush higher probability of it been killed soon if the solder is been cracked

5. SpyderBombz

Yeah I've already messaged them on ebay and told them I'm returning it.

Even if it was ok I know it would always bother me, for the sake of an extra £25 I'm just going to buy a new one!

Also I noticed a sticker on the box that says rejected, which raises a red flag!

6. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

lol yeah! get rid mate.

7. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

Even a brand new one will have a degree of warping, you'll be very lucky to get one perfectly flat. But yes if it has a sticker saying rejected on return it. Although the sticker may be to indicate it was rejected as in returned rather than rejected because of fault.

8. SpyderBombz

That could of course be the case but I still think the term rejected and the term returned are separate enough to warrant concern.

At least it was bought on ebay so I know I'll get my money back.

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I don't think any of the motherboards I've owned have had any sort of noticeable warping out of the box. It's a different story once you've attached a massive air cooler, but I've never seen a curve like that in the OP on a brand-new board.

10. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I've had some second hand motherboards that have been clearly warped and not had an issue, but not quite as bad as this one.

11. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

Of course it could also mean rma rejected, who knows, but I've had brand new retail boards arrive warped, purely from the manufacturing process. Anyway, as others have said, best return it if you are concerned.

The image does make it appear far worse than it is though, if the image is straightened up as below I'd say it looks like whoever had it before has over torqued whatever heatsink they were using:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 May 2016
  12. SpyderBombz

So do you reckon it would be OK? There's 12 months manufacturer warranty on it, and it would be simpler to keep it I suppose

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

13. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I had a S775 Asrock board, which was new and it looked like this, still worked fine though.

[​IMG]