1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

got out of ammo, hoover junkies, cinevero cinemia,
    holopoint (mean tot be awesome bow and arrow). space pirate.

If a dev puts some thing awesome out for VR... there is a community like us to support them, will happly spend money each month on the best of VR games and apps,

I already owned Cinevero as early backer but bought it again just to have it tidy in my steam and to support them, that is a great cinemia app, has like a 50's drive in cinemia.

this vive is fun man, its impossible to say between these two, honestly Oculus really cut around 40% of their muster but not bringing out the controlers, space and controlers is fun man, my body likes it a lot. I love moving about in vr its wicked

I am going to go and shoot stuff, that holopoint is meant to be good.
    Love the way steam interface to us through the vive, very well done steam!

[​IMG]
    testing

Last edited: 5 May 2016
  2. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

My Vive arrived a few days ago. I was annoyed no Project Cars and was prepared to sell the new HMD.
    Two days later I conclude that Vive is the most amazing experience and there is no going back to seated-only VR.

The controllers with the Vive are amazing. Tracking has been excellent even though I mounted the two laser boxes (lighthouses) on the wall with a damned ceiling light blocking their view of each other... tracking has been very good.

Room scale and standing games are absolutely mind-blowing.

The chaperone/matrix cam is one of the things that swayed me to pre-order the Vive and it really makes a massive difference. My setup is in a confined space and the matrix cam makes it easy to stay safely within the bounds.

For the first 6 hours of Vive play I couldn't really see any increase in pixel res over the DK2... then I realised I had forgotten to peel off the plastic shipping film covering the lenses. The difference is now very noticeable.

Elite Dangerous doesn't run so well under SteamVR and I've had to drop the graphics to "VR low" preset and even then there is some judder on my GTX 970. The VR low preset reduces the resolution but even at reduced fidelity the in-cockpit text is noticeably clearer. Some people are reporting the Vive has an issue with ED but I'm not seeing it.

Ethan Carter VR edition looks stunning. I don't know if it's just the resolution increase but the sense of being there is much greater with the Vive. Textures look very sharp in this game.

Standing/room scale games are mind-blowing...

Holopoint
    Light Repair Team #4
    Space Pirate Trainer
    Vertigo Demo
    Budget cuts preview
    Audioshield
    The Cubicle
    Unseen Diplomacy
    Apollo 11

Euclidian also comes to life with the Vive.

The Lab

Also been trying out the Unreal editor in VR.

3. Stanley Tweedle

However... SteamVR navigation with the Vive is broken. Can't navigate because it takes 20 tries before it responds and then when I get to a game it won't run it. The Vive home (the big art gallery room) responds flawlessly with the vive controllers.

4. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Tonight Iplan on trying to a Leap Motion working with my CV1 per this article:

Leap Motion + VR

Guess I'll have to download and try a Vive game, think I'll start with Space Pirate Trainer.

5. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

That's super honest about leaving the lens cover on ha, easy done. You must have felt a lot better when you put it on with it off. Nice.

I ordered the proper cv1 /vice leap motion bracket.

I'm looking forward to drill in to the vice and rift a little more, out of ammo was nice in the vive, all the games are great actually.

I just have enough space to pass the vice play area set up wizard.. Just.

Really exciting the public on mass are going to have these products,

The rift in particular is a solid benchmark , mile stone. I'm glad for them, oculas have a lot to be proud about.

6. Stanley Tweedle

The fact that you have a CV1 is surprising.

Rift with ATW is great. I'd always been an Oculus fan but for some reason I became angry when CV1 was launched... I think what set me off was the lack of VR controllers. I still have CV1 on pre-order but I will probably cancel now the Vive has arrived.

Would be great if steamvr got its own version of ATW.

I've had to submit a report to valve about the broken navigation on steamvr big picture when using vive controllers.

7. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Man this Rift is really some thing special.

Every time I have a session in it I come away more impressed.

I have not clocked in much time but todays experience is breath taking.

I thought I understood about the rifts lens and its sweet spot.

Looking at the two pictures below, note the beam angle from the main support frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This made a huge change, I did not know the rift pivoted like that, using this ability to pivot increased the lens effectiveness and sweet spot by at least 25%, the lower porition of the view is just as good as the middle or top that I can perceive.

The mechanical engineering, the human design off this device around my face and eyes is hugely impressive.

Man I know Oculus really dropped the ball with the launch but man I just cant believe how good this VR HUD is, its a tremendously solid benchmark for the first commercial VR HUD. its over Engineered and boy do I appreciate it.

I am very apologetic if I did put Oculus down in my previous posts, these guys have delivered in spades, Palmer lucky and Facebook really scored a touch down with this and its sweetness will be appreciated easily for the next 3 to 4 years, I don't know if a new CV2 is due to come out before then but for the next 2 years I am happy to use this for simulation games, the audio and fit of the ear phones is the icing to the cake, I don't want any other headphones and I am super fussy.

The Rift Cv1 is very very good VR HUD and more than enough thank you very much Oculus.

Rift is a solid purchase, if I had to guess a dollar value to the thing, its difficult to say but its worth more than £500 to me, I would say its value is around £750, to £850, that would be too much or would feel too much but it would be justified. The thing is a work of art.

Oculus nailed it, put it on, with the lights and sound on for a game and it delivers a classy, comfortable, bright, professional, entertaining, clean, best of bread VR experience.

I love my Rift, there is no question about that.

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

reddit is a wash with reports Assetto Corsa has got VR support...

devs are doing a live steam

I did every thing in my power to get the f80 ready in time for vr support, cockpit still work in progress with only the seats going in (which are beautiful).

Going to have to go and check this out since project cars is not my thing

9. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Any one know a way to have the rift go as the default sound device (play) but when off switches back to my 7.1 headphones, having to bounce the rift on top of my head for audio when not using it since gets set as default audio device (play).

tricky one

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

By default, VR audio will be output to the Rift when the Windows default audio device is set to your headphones/speakers/whatever, no manual switching required. The only time this does not happen is if a game has implemented the Oculus SDK incorrectly. If it is not happening on Oculus Home games, then there is something wrong with your setup and you may need to reinstall Home.

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Finding Xortex 26XX bundled free with 'The Lab' so much fun! :D

Anyone know of any other bullet hell VR games on the horizon? Actually addicted to using the model replica in The Labs hub on the main table. It's amazing how intuitive the flight controls are simply by rotating the Vive controller. Probably my favourite geek out moment using VR so far was discovering that little gem, completely unexpected! :thumb:

Having difficulty getting the camera to work correctly without tracking dropping out. The Steam VR settings do warn of this problem but it'd be nice to know if it can be resolved. Only just tried updating my USB 3.0 driver to a newer version (not recommended directly by Asus mind you!) and it's much much faster. I hope this resolves the issue assuming it's a USB bottleneck. If anyone has an insight into the issue it'd be much appreciated.

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Any Vive owners experimented with 'Revive' yet? Link below...

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases

Got the short animation 'Invasion!' to play perfectly using Revive. Unfortunately I keep getting Unreal Engine crashes when I try to load Dreamdeck, Lost and Henry. I've done the necessary business with Revive to get it working so I believe this is exclusively an Unreal Engine problem. Frustrating because Invasion is an Unreal Engine application so it's hard to figure out what's going wrong. Any suggestions welcome.

I can get into Lucky's Tale but a recent DRM modification means the game is rendered unplayable due to lack of an Oculus HMD attached to the PC! This is a unity game and the Revive author is hot on a fix so that's one to look forward to. In the meantime Lucky's Tale does show a neat splash screen with a caterpillar on a hovering plank of wood. As you move around he tracks your movement with his eyes which I thought was pretty neat!

13. Promethus

Promethus What's a Dremel?

Apologies if this is not the correct place to ask, but does anyone know if the EVE Valkyrie code, given away with the Rift is transferable to another person?

Thanks

14. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I'd like to play some Oculus games on my Vive with Revive, but I'd want to buy them instead of pirate, but since there seems to be a bit of a DRM arms race I don't want to buy the games if they're going to be rendered unplayable in the near future.

Ugh. I really want to not hate Oculus, but right now they're being a lot worse than EA even. I hope this all settles out in a few years.

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

At the time of writing you can install the Oculus software and download a number of titles for free so there's no financial risk and you won't be a dirty rotten pirate! I managed to get the Unreal Engine titles working by setting the compatibility mode to Windows 7. It's well worth playing with Revive to enjoy the animated shorts that Oculus offers.

Played Lucky's Tale and that is an amazing game. It doesn't look like much from the outsiders perspective but once that games played in VR it's a whole new ball game. I'd even go so far as to say this is to VR what Mario 64 was to 3D. On paper a platform game in VR sounds like a stupid idea but the implementation is sublime.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Revive seems to have been perm disabled by latest update.

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The Oculus runtime can be rolled back to 1.3.2, then block access to updates and it works again!

Not a full fix but at least it's a work around.

18. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

What's the current state of play with regards to Linux being a workable solution to drive a equal vr headset to rift / vive?

I am just starting to read a little about Linux and it seems the perfect nest bed for a whole bunch of hugely talented people to get behind and push forward,

shouldn't linus spear head an alternative to oculus / steam?

wasn't palmer sort of all about openness and a community VR headset that goes forward for the greater good of VR, knowledge sharing etc etc..

sounds like the Linux community personified. people are so pissed off with Oculus they are falling back to the lines of vive.

Linux needs to be an VR OS alternative no?

Do NVidia even push out drivers to the same or even remotely close schedule to Linux vs the fast deploy to windows.

19. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

At the moment, almsot nothing. No support for the Rift or Vive, so there's only OSVR, whose implementation and hardware are significantly behind.
    The VR market is a tiny subset of PC gaming, and the Linux gaming market is a tiny subset again of that. At the moment, the sort of deep integration needed for low latency is too much effort for the minimal payoff for either party (even Valve, with their own Linux distro in SteamOS, are not currently working on Vive support for Linux).

20. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder