1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks 24/48 Port PoE Switch Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Unicorn, 22 Apr 2016.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

This is one for the networking experts amongst us. I'm planning an IP CCTV upgrade/install at the moment which will take place piece by piece over the next 12-18 months.

To cut a long story short, on this site we have an old analogue CCTV system but needed a camera at a gate which is almost 300m (cable length) away from the building, so we've installed an IP camera as well as the necessary runs of cable, PoE expanders etc, and upgraded to a hybrid analogue/digital NVR (Network Video Recorder) which will manage a total of 32 IP cameras as well as the 16 analogue inputs.

The intention now is to gradually replace the horrific low resolution analogue cameras as time and budget permits, so first I'll be adding a network to run the cameras, and eventually we'll get a static IP address connection to it for remote monitoring etc.

All of the cameras will use PoE, and I do intend on adding as many as the NVR will manage (31 more) so I need a fairly substantial PoE switch. A 48 port unit with at least 4 SFP combi-ports would probably be a good idea, because the building has four satelite cabinets to other parts of the main building and other buildings, which are linked via fiber. Obviously this size of a unit is going to cost a pretty penny, but the system won't work without it.

So, what would you suggest?

2. tsutton

tsutton Minimodder

While I'm unable to help, have you decided on which PoE Switch to get for this? #curious

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Only just saw this one.

Any layer 3 needed (to keep the CCTV on it's own VLAN & route to it from production)?

I'd go Cisco, either a 3560 for L3 or 2960 for L2

4. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Cisco's small business lineup (200,300 and 500 series) is also quite compelling and is relatively affordable.

5. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Ho much you looking to spend?