1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Corsair PSU Cable Spec

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Impatience, 25 May 2016.

1. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Does anyone know if the Corsair SFX power supplies have the same pin out as their RM/x/i psu's?

2. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

3. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Cheers for that! Not too sure, but from what II can make out they should be the same (except one ground & missing pin swapped!) How do people find these out? Just a multimeter and trace the cables?

4. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

Yep i guess so , that and the position the connector at the end
    Check 3 times , you dont want any magic smoke :jawdrop:

5. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Yeah, definitely don't want any smoke! And would be a great waste of a competition win as well..

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Because the pin-outs on the component ends are the same you can trace each wire back to the connector (for fully modular cables) and establish which is which. If this is difficult due to sleeving on the existing cables and/or single colour wires using the continuity tester on a multi-meter helps.

If you make up your own cables I highly recommend the Thermaltake Dr Power II because, AFAIK, it's the only one that will test an 8 Pin PCI-E connector as well as all the other main connectors.

The Corsair SFX PSUs are made by a different company to the RM series so although there's a slight possibility the pin-outs are the same it's not guaranteed. Certainly a couple of years ago at least they'd be highly likely to be different but maybe Corsair are starting to make the manufacturers create a unified pin-out.

I used to maintain that PSU Repository at Overclock.net and much of the intro was written by me and some of the pin-outs are the ones I created when I was sleeving regularly.