1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZapWizards' Chess Project -Submit your own chess pieces

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZapWizard, 6 May 2003.

1. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Sorry to bump an OLD thread but I was really wondering what happened to this project.

2. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

On hold until around Christmas time...I hope

I want to build it but it will cost nearly $200 in parts alone.

3. Silver Talon

Silver Talon What's a Dremel?

Personally, with an idea like that, I'd find out if it's been done (most likely not) then protect the idea, and contact "Sharper Image". Like I usually tell people, there are 3 terms to explain "The Sharper Image'.. Want it, Won't use it, and Can't Afford it! They might jump at the chance to buy the idea if you have a working prototype for them to see. There are a LOT of little conventions for things like that, just have to find one in your area and show it off. Might make enough money to start mass producing that Media PC of yours.

Good luck

Silver Talon

4. emuexplosion

emuexplosion What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't mind throwing some money at this.. =)

[edit]

Good time to say this, if you, or anyone else has made something, and they want to market/sell/mass produce, talk to me.. I can always help in that area. (iam AT emuexplosion DOT com or emuexplosion - AIM)

5. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

why dont you use cheaper components for the whole? such as making your own switches etc...

6. ZapWizard

I noticed you are located in Austin, so am I?
    E-mail me at : zapwizard (at) zapwizard.com
    (You don't happen to work for www.americanchessstore.com do you?)

I can't make my own dual polarity hall effect switches :)
    In fact only one company makes one that is sutible for this application. (There are other more complicated way though, but more expensive too)

7. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Unfortunately, public disclosure means anyone who wants to is now free to exploit the idea. Was discussed earlier in the thread, IIRC.

8. ZapWizard

I knew Bradford would be in soon once this thread was dug up :D

The idea of a lighted chess set is public, in face it's been made before (not on a mass scale)

The idea of using hall sensors is not new, lots of electronic chess sets use hall sensors.

But I have not publicly disclosed the circuitry or logical functions that create the effects that I will produce with them.

That doesn't really matter anyways, we are talking about a cool project.

9. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Yes, they're called thread subscriptions and drop notifications right in my inbox ;)

If you can patent it, more power to you. But in my eyes, it isn't going to happen.

10. Burnsides

Burnsides What's a Dremel?

Awesome project, I hope you get it built. Have you checked Digikey for the parts? If not, here's a link Hall effect sensor I did not know exactly what you need so you will need to filter the search. digikey.com:thumb:

Last edited: 6 Sep 2003
  11. Fluba

Fluba What's a Dremel?

mmm, pretty

hey zap, i just read most of this thread, i dont speak here much, but come and read your project logs ;)
    anyway, my 2 ideas:

for colour differentiation between black and white squares, how about getting the PCBs made up in 2 different colours, white PCBs and black PCBs?

oh, and couldnt you build your own sensors using a magnet fixed to +v, in a tube, with a metal contacts at the top and bottom of the tube? youd need a light spring to keep it in the middle, but that wouldnt be that difficult

12. ZapWizard

I have scoured for hours for the perfect sensor.
    (Which I have located, but Digi-key does not stock it)

The PCB will be encased in black liquid acrylic.
    I don't plan on even having the PCB visible...just the LEDs, sensor, and caps will poke above it.
    Also the PCB is about 1/2" below the glass, so making it checkered would be too offset from the above peices.

I could make my own sensors.
    It would require a tiny magnet.
    It's a good idea, but the magents may slam, or make noise when they move, I think solid state is a better option.

13. Alizarin

Alizarin What's a Dremel?

You were talking about how to recognize which piece is being moved (for a later version of the board)... use RFID tags! They're supposed to be dirt cheap when bought in bulk (dunno the definiition of "bulk" but that would remain to be seen) and sound like they'd be what you're looking for in a way.

And btw I love the idea... if I weren't so swamped with bills right now (related to moving, new job, etc) I'd put a down payment on the set :D

14. ZapWizard

I did research RFID tags.
    They are cheap... but there would also need to be 64 readers in the board...not cheap.

Normal computerized chess sets use simple reed switches, or very cheap hall switches under the board.
    All the peices have the same magnet.
    It is up to the microcontroller to keep track of what piece is moved where.

15. Zorro

Zorro What's a Dremel?

Sorry to bump this thread, just thought I'd chime in on the patent issues.

Whilst bradford010 is correct in most european countries, he's not correct in the USA, which is where ZapWizard is based.

In the UK and other european countries as soon as there has been public disclosure of an item it cannot be patented. Essentially it is first come first served as to who gets the patent. Technically even discussing it with your girlfriend is treated as public disclosure and thus it cannot be patented (although it would be hard to prove that she wasn't under an NDA). If two people came up with a patent then the first patent submitted would 'win', even if he came up with the idea second.

However, the USA works slightly differently, they attempt to determine who actually invented the idea first. Thus if two people came up with the idea and submitted patents then the first person to come up with the idea would 'win' even if his patent was applied for after the other guy - as long as he can prove he came up with it first. A side effect of this is that you have 12 months from first disclosure in the USA before you cannot file a patent - thus ZapWizard could file a patent for his idea, but only in the USA.

ZapWizard - impressive :D

Z.

16. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Very interesting Zorro! The beauty of "prior art" I guess. :clap:

17. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

BUMP

no, let me rephrase that...

RESSURECTION

Much better ;)

So what has come out of this project so far? This is a very interesting and fascintating project. (I just read through the entire log) Perhaps you can give us some status upodates on this thing?

Thanks!

18. ZapWizard

LOL, well the PCB is designed, the circuit is finalized, and I have a 4x4 prototype square made.
    But it's kind of on the shelf just for now, one of my many side projects I work on to make sure I don't burn out on larger projects.
    I still plan on finishing it when I can get some extra cash to build it right.

19. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Zap this is absolutely amazing... I can't believe how absolutely gifted you are in the electronic field..

I was reading the 'computer-tracked movements' comments earlier, and I thought about something I had read recently, it's called like... radio identification frequency, something soon that will soon replace barcodes - crap.. can't finish.. GTG - Edit: Rofl just read the last suggestion about the rfid tags, that is what I was talking about :p Keep it up zap.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2004
  20. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Can you post a couple pics of this prototpye? You have me very interested,