1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Pascal and Polaris Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 25 Aug 2015.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

It wouldn't be the first time the names have crossed over, just look at the 7950 model numbers, HD 7950 and 7950 GT, GX2 and so on.

3. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Other reviews have maintained a boost clock of over 2k for 5hours in testing. How'd they get this to fail I wonder.

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Never drops below its base clock, so the default fan profile is working as designed (limited to 2200RPM by default, or 55% max). Up the fan RPM, and you get a higher steady-state clock speed.

If the Boost Clock were sustained in steady-state it wouldn't be the Boost Clock any more, it would be the Base Clock. That's the whole point of a 'boost' clock.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Because other reviewers have been testing it on an open bench in an air cooled room. When you put it in a case things become very different. It takes about four minutes for the card to stop boosting completely and run at around 1600mhz. At which point it is barely any faster than a 980ti overclocked.

It also seems to perform completely differently depending on who is using it. For example, Hardware Canucks review made it look the best, with all of the other results varying wildly.

We had this with the launch of the 980 too. It didn't take long for actual users to paint the 980 in a different light and it was hardly any better than the 780ti it replaced.

I'm not saying the 1080 is not a good card but there's a few things about it that irk me. It needs more power, it has crappy yields once you hit 2ghz and so on. It's abundantly clear that Nvidia are making the most out of it and desperately trying to convince people who bought 980ti and Titan X to ditch their cards and go with Pascal.

Thing is they now (as we know) have the next TI up their sleeve so it won't be long before that comes around and they expect us to buy that too.

Just one problem - the price. If these disposable GPUs (because that is how they see them, they've done everything in their power to rubbish the TI and Titan X making people switch) continue to cost this much then eventually even the hardened serial upgrader will eventually bow out.

It's an expensive game this. Far more expensive than other hobbies. I mean crap, the things I could buy with £620 !

7. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Tested in a gaming case [not open bench] and/or fans not fixed @100%?

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

JayzTwoCents did a video of it throttling without tweaking the fan speed and power limit and that wasn't running in a case. Tweaking the fan speed solved the problem, but even afterwards when he'd tweaked the fan to 80%, power target was at 120% and temps limited to 92C , the card was boosting to 1797MHz and not thermal throttling. So power limited too?

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's definitely power limited. However, it could turn out that no amount of phases and voltages will make it any better. Right now though? yeah, definitely looks to need more power.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

but you can only shove *so much*power through a single 8 pin power socket

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Determinations of 'power limited' are speculation at the moment. If cards come out with silly "FOURTEEN PHASES" designs and overclock up the the same speeds, it would indicate a process limitation rather than power.

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

^very true, didn't think of it that way. Just seems odd that there's a ~300MHz difference between Crysis 3 and whatever rendering NVidia did on stage. I suppose Crysis 3 just sucks more juice!

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Still waiting for some custom editions. The initial reviews showed a hot running gpu. Maxing the fan at 100% is still classed as in spec from Nvidias point of view.

Power limited heat limited.

Anyone wish to God AMD was a actual competitor instead of a door stop. Maybe it would not be power limited and heat limited.

I have a feeling the 1080 is basically fast enough for most if AMD ever catches up a 1080ti or Titan will drop and everything else gets price reduced. That's what happened since the launch of the 680 gpu.

Cost be dammed though, who wants to wait for a 2017 Vega anyway.

14. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

So nVidia have produced a flawed card... currently mostly awol.

nVidia have priced it to pick ya pockets ...and then some...

But it's actually all AMD's fault? lol

I try not to get involved in the fanboism but the logic you employ is just wow.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

No competition - no reason to make a good product. Milk early adaptors with founders edition tax. Release a 1080ti model later when competitor finally releases a product.

Yeah I blame AMD. For Intels prices as well.

One of the main reasons the Nvidia 970 got away with the memory problems was that lack of competitor.

Intel gets away with its 5-10% because of it also.

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so its thermi all over again

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

18. rollo

rollo Modder

Does seem like it. From early reviews you could see it was running hot 80+ recorded temps on every review. 980 ran as hot though, that custom above should be a lot cooler.

19. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Its a big step up from 780ti to 1080 / 1080ti no?

As percentage increases go, this has to be one of the biggest step ups of all time?, its a clear A miss generation B, skip to C progression but given historical improvements between ABC, this has to be the biggest step from A to C?

If you have a 780ti and sell it for £125 to £150 on ebay and ship a 1080 for £450, that extra £300 you are investing is really returning a heap ton load of performance pound on pound its historically impressive?

VR today at least I don't think necessities a move up from a 980ti, sure lots will, including myself no issue, but its the people that held out from the 970 / 980,ti, heck even the 970 purchasers are laughing with the return on capital from resale of the 970 towards a 1070 or 1080.

GPU golden era with the 1070 1080?
    Its timed matching with VR HUDS is pretty golden era setting the tone

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Uhh 600 quid.