1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Is my graphics card kaput?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wiLLSY, 31 May 2016.

1. wiLLSY

wiLLSY Are you a wizard?

I've just recently upgraded my PC apart from the graphics card and PSU - here's my build:

Asrock z170 extreme4
    Skylake i5 6600k
    Corsair 16GB DDR4 RAM
    GTX 780

Having just found a stable overclock for my CPU I tried the Unigine Heaven benchmarking programme but within a few seconds of it running the power would cut off. I then unplugged my graphics card and used the on board graphics of the motherboard and hey presto there were no problems.

I bought the 780 second hand coming up to about 4 years ago now. Seeing as CPU stress testers such as Prime95 produced no crashes but the GPU stress testers did, is it safe to say that my graphics card is busted? I had similar issues prior to upgrading so I don't believe its related to the new components.

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

What's the PSU?

3. wiLLSY

wiLLSY Are you a wizard?

Antec TP-750C

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

How old is the PSU? It probably isn't able to put out enough power for both of the cards if it is ageing.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

if your anywhere near Eastbourne , can come over to mine , have a coffee and we can test it?

6. wiLLSY

wiLLSY Are you a wizard?

Must be getting up to 4+ years old now

Thank you very much for the offer! Unfortunately I'm currently living up in Nottingham so its quite a way for me to get to

7. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Not sure it's the GPU, could well be the OC, the combined GPU and CPU load causing instability. Drop the CPU clock and retest, I'd be surprised if a 750 antec can't handle that load, even if 4 years old!