1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice My £1000ish i5 build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Booga, 9 Jun 2016.

1. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Hi, I really need to sort out a new PC as my old one (see sig) is very long in the tooth.

My budget is £1000ish and by ish I mean +/- £100

I have read many reviews and am now probably more confused than I was when I started. The build was mostly based around that for the mid range PC in CustomPC. The deviations from that have been due to the following.
    Case: I like the Define S and think £95 for a case is OTT for what I want.
    Motherboard: With all the bad reviews, with regard to Asus customer service about, I went for the best alternative, imo.
    PSU: I have heard good things about EVGA and this looked like a great one.

I am a casual gamer who plays every day, if that makes sense. I am currently struggling to play Ark, but will also jump on LOTRO, War Thunder and Shadows of Mordor. All but the first run perfectly well on my current PC but there are signs it is not happy.

I know that there are new GPU's coming out shortly, but my budget definitely won't stretch to a 1070 and the 480 is too far of, given the state of my current PC.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Dgt8d6

Any advice gratefully received. :thumb:

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Get rid of the M2 and its actually in budget. You can get a 512gb ssd for the price of that m2.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-75...1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1465503873&sr=1-2

for example.

No point spending that level of cash on the m2. AMD 480 is due out in the next few weeks wait for it is a suggestion. Be cheaper and faster if most accounts are accurate.

Id personally not buy the kraken, NZXT products do not fill me with confidence at the moment. I brought a NZXT Grid + highly recommended but it has a major flaw. If your fans do not draw enough volts it will shut them all down and spin them at max speed. Then repeat the process again and again.

Its not a software issue its a hardwired fault.

I would also highly recommend you buy all in one place as well. Scan or Overclockers.

For the money your spending as well

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/custom-gaming-pc-uk-3xsgamer21i

This is £980 with better gaming components ( CPU GPU) and a 3 year warranty. Add on a SSD and a be quiet pure rock cpu cooler and you have a much better system for around £1080.

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

480 should be available/out on the 29th, but I can understand you not wanting to wait :)

4. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Rollo, thanks for the reply and the suggestions. I was going to buy in one place so the Scan option is an excellent choice will check it out tomorrow. +1 rep.
    Loftie thanks for the heads up.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

650W is overkill. 500-550W will do you there. I'd say stick to the M.2 tbh
    There's some boards around the 100-110 mark could save you 20 quid.
    Buying beore the 480 launches also crazy. Launches on week of 27th. Just wait til July!

6. Xir

Xir Modder

is that M2 so much faster than a SATAIII SSD?

A bigger SSD means your games will fit.

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It is in a league of its own, just Google NVMe vs AHCI. ;)

8. lee32uk

lee32uk What's a Dremel?

Needs a better psu. The Corsair VS is awful.

If he is just gaming then an i5 is fine.

9. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Completely agree. The i7 is overkill for gaming.

I like a little headroom on my PSU especially as I might go for a 2x GPU set up at some point. The price difference is small its not worth going smaller imo.
    Am 100% waiting for 480 release.

Any advice board wise? Asus have a really bad rep customer service wise, is it still worth going for an Asus board?

Thank you all for the advice.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2016
  10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's not just the 480 you need to watch out for. It only has one PCIE connector and I would be amazed if it's AMD's only offering on Polaris 10. The 490 should be a thing and you will find that out pretty soon.

Either way with what you play (which resolution BTW?) the 480 should be ample and should cost half of the 1070 for 70% of the performance or there abouts.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Scan would not sell a pre build system they do not trust in all honesty. The system I linked is not a custom config you can buy the system built like that.

People over rate how much power there using by huge amounts.

Here's the thing most modern psus now have fans that don't spin up below 300 watt usage. In games that do not support SLI on my current setup my psu does not even spin the fan meaning the draw is sub 300 watts ( 2 680s 6700k CPU and a 4 ssd / hard drives) in games that support SLI you here the fan spin as its drawing above that limit.

680 uses more power under load than the 1080 does according to most reviews. 187 watts vs 180 watts.

Maybe the AMD 480 will use lots of power hence needing a beefier power supply. That does kinda fit AMDs ways though.

12. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Ok, so here is an update now the RX 480's are out.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Booga/saved/YZGWGX

However just got the Scan newsletter through and saw this bundle.
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asu...ddr4-(3000oc)-ram-cm-seidon-120v-v2-aio-water

This would save me quiet a bit of cash.
    In my PC part picker those items come to £509. I'd have to add another 8G of RAM to that bundle but that would only bring the cost up to just over £400.
    What do you recon? Motherboard and AIO are the only real change.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Looks decent enough. Make sure you wait for custom 480s though they're going to be much better than the stock card :)

Booga likes this.