1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays HTC VIVE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DIZZY DAZZLER 2010, 17 Jun 2016.

1. DIZZY DAZZLER 2010

DIZZY DAZZLER 2010 Tech nut!

So thinking of getting a HTC Vive the weekend and wondered if anyone has one on here and if I can play most of my games even if they dont have VR support, but will I still get 3d etc?

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Short answer: No. If you want to play a game in VR, it needs to be designed to be played in VR.

Long answer: Kind of, but it will be pretty shitty. There are programs like Vireio Perception and VorpX that inject head-tracking motion into existing games. However, this is no more "VR support" than declaring you have added "keyboard and mouse support" to a game by turning keypreses into full joystick movements and mouse movements into a virtual joystick. There is a LOT more to adding VR support to a game than making the camera move vaguely like your head.

For games you can play on the Vive in particular: Check the HTC Vive tag on Steam (the VR' tag is deprecated, many games with it do not actually support VR). Take care, there is quite a bit of sandbox-demo-sold-as-a-full-game going on at the moment.

At the moment, you will not be able to play any of the Oculus exclusive games for now. I won't go into the reasons why (because it inevitable devolves into nonsensical mudflinging) but it's something to bear in mind if you want the maximum amount of content to play today rather than at some point in the future. This may change in the future (times exclusives will be ported, Vive bay be implemented in the Oculus SDK) but the former will take a while and the latter is not guaranteed.

----------------

As of today, there is not a massive swathe of games to play in VR, and nothing that could really be called a "AAA title" if that's something you desire. This is unlikely to change for a good year, so you may want to consider holding off on getting a HMD for a while if you want a huge selection of things to do in VR.

3. DIZZY DAZZLER 2010

DIZZY DAZZLER 2010 Tech nut!

Hi Edzieba

Thanks for the update you have told me more in a few sentences than I could find on the web.

Many thanks for this, I think I will hold out for a few more months until the hardware costs settle and there are more 'VR' games available.

Regards
    Darren

4. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

It depends what u want to play.

I've been using DK2 since last year and only just sold it for Vive. Vive is mind-blowing. Oculus DK2 was great.

I have the most important games I need:

Elite Dangerous
    DCS World
    Project Cars

I'm just amazed at how much fun the Vive standing/room scale games are:

HordeZ, Space pirate trainer, Windlands, Job Sim took me by surprise because I hate comedy games but on Vive it's amazing.

Cosmic Trip, the solus project, Ethan Carter VR (xbox controller).

War Blunder..

There's also Vorpx to play non-VR games but they don't look as good as native VR... Vorpx is the best VR injector for pre-VR games though. Skyrim plays very well on it as does Fallabout 4.

I haz no shortage of fun on Vive...

When I pre-ordered Vive I didn't have full commitment to it. I had CV1 on pre-order first. Vive shipped on schedule and I went into panic while it was in transit. I wondered if I was crazy for buying it.

Once it arrived and I had it setup I had no regrets. I didn't think I'd have much interest in standing/room scale VR but I love it. I love being able to physically duck, dodge, crouch in games like space pirate.

I use it seated as well for racing and flying.

Vorpx is very good overall but some games don't look to great when VR injected. Skyrim and Vorpx yes... Crysis 2 and 3 I have a hard time making look ok.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2016
  5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, after E3 I'm totally hyped for Touch!

6. Stanley Tweedle

Checkout the vorpx website and the games listed there.

Any games on that list display in stereoscopic 3d.

It has 2 modes of display... full VR injection or you can play games on a virtual theater.

7. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Does the virtual theatre display in 3D (as if you had a 3D monitor) or is it like the steam VR theatre mode?

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Just so you know, playing normal games using an injector is an exercise in trial and error. Most games won't work perfectly for whatever reason.

Basically don't buy a VR headset unless you want to play 'made for VR' games.

Virtual theatre is just like playing on a big cinema screen in low resolution.

9. Stanley Tweedle

Yes it does display the games in 3d for any game on the list. Virtual theater mode is actually a nice way to play games with vorpx because none of the game screen area is lost. When you use the full immersive emulation mode you always lose part of the screen so in GTA V for example you can't see the minimap. With the virtual cinema mode you always get 100% of the image.

Agree with Mr Parge... some people actually say they're buying VR just to play non-vr games using vorpx. Although vorpx is very good for what it does... the experience is nothing like native VR. It's a compromise and it can take some getting used to how games look with it. Also agree with Mr Parge that the games take quite a bit of adjusting. Vorpx has an FOV configurator for a number of games but that didn't really work for me. I generally had to adjust the FOV either in game or via modding the game's ini. Also some of the games on the vorpx list just look horrible no matter how much you play around with settings (crysis 2 and 3, metro 2033, LL) I found look very odd.

Serious Sam 3 is nice to play on vorpx as is skyrim. Fallout 4 is good. GTA V was a bit hit and miss for me.