1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. StingLikeABee

StingLikeABee What's a Dremel?

I guess that could be down to the fact that a lot of working class areas, like mine, are traditionally Labour strongholds. There are many people I know who would vote Labour come hell or high water because they have always done so, as did their parents etc. etc. As an example, our own Labour MP won at the general elections, with a majority gain, despite her being widely disliked here. Her name is mud in our community but yet she still managed to gain on her majority. I guess UKIP wasn't seen to be a credible alternative here in my constituency and people here would rather tear their own arms off than vote Tory.

A lot of these staunch Labour voters are voting to leave though, that I do know. I spoke to a Times journo the other week who was supposed to be writing an article on this very subject. She came into our community and it was suggested that she meet me, which she did. I'm not paying £12 to find out if she ever did write the article though!

2. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Maybe a daft question, but will the result be based on the percentage of the total eligible to vote or just a percentage of who actually votes?

3. Disequilibria

Disequilibria Minimodder

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Just my personal unscientific opinion, but do you think that maybe one of the reasons your community is seeing, at a guess, higher inflow of migrants than the national average?

Like i said it's just my personal unscientific opinion but if i was a Conservative in charge of the country I'd certainly prefer to direct the flow to my oppositions strongholds, maybe if i done that people would switch allegiances, maybe if i done that people in my oppositions strongholds would start blaming the countries problems on migrants instead of always blaming my party.

6. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

When can we expect the results? 12PM-1AM?

7. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Just spotted this. Might help anyone who's still undecided. :)

[​IMG]

8. StingLikeABee

No not at all. I do think that the migrants chose to come here because the rents are so cheap. Nothing more or less unfortunately. However I do think the government and even our Labour stronghold council turned a blind eye to a situation they knew full well was developing.

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I've voted. In for me. Along with all the other economic reasons, I feel like voting out is siding with the baddies.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It is. Interestingly I read a news article some time ago mentioning a construction worker who describes himself as "a proper ****ing Englishman". He is the prototypical working man, tattoos, football club allegiance and favourite pub and all.

He has been best mates with a Polish construction worker since he came over in the 90's as an illegal, before accession of Poland to the EU, got deported once and came back legally after the accession.

He is voting Remain. He has no complex reasons behind it except that he thinks that nowadays countries are inevitably part of a bigger global community and should learn to get along, and that isolationism is a backward and unhealthy attitude.

Well, that scuppers some people's theory that immigrants take all the council housing then. Of course the government can't control where these people rent --that would be interfering in the free market.

I know it doesn't seem to be the case in your particular neighbourhood, but if immigrants generally behave themselves and integrate, what is the problem? If anything all those staunchly Catholic central Europeans give local churches a much-needed boost.

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

7am or so

12. StingLikeABee

We've heard all the rumours about immigrants taking council houses and in the case of our community there are very few who have council houses. The vast majority live in private rented properties. There are landlords who are obviously taking advantage of the influx of immigrants into our community and the council are trying to deal with that by means of the Landlords Selective Licensing Scheme.

If we had only those immigrants who were productive, well behaved and respected the community they lived in there wouldn't be a problem here. That isn't the case though. Right now I am listening to an argument right outside my front gate between a large family of Roma migrants. It's been going on for 2 hours now and has almost developed into a violent situation a couple of times. They are drinking on the street, which is a breach of the Public Spaces Protection Order, they are also breaching it by being in a group of 3 or more and causing ASB. I've called the ASB hotline the council set up here but they are flat out because the weather is warm here and they are currently swamped with similar incidents.

I've publicly stated now as a representative of my community that my family and I are leaving within the next year if we can afford to move. My reason for this is an incident that occured last Saturday. Our local school's Parents Forum organised a community coach trip to Scarborough, I'm a member of the forum and helped organise it. We had a brilliant day, 3 coaches full. Then on our way home the news broke on Facebook about a stabbing incident that was occurring as we were within a couple of miles from home. When we all got off the coach and started walking the short walk home, there were armed police, CID, paramedics and ambulances all over. A section of the main road was taped off. So with my wife, two daughters and I we had to divert through an alley to get home. My youngest daughter saw the blood from the stabbed man as he had ran down the alley after being stabbed. It broke my heart when she cried and stated she was scared to live here anymore. She also asked if we could move. This was yet another incident of violence occuring with weapons being used by members of the Roma community. It's also yet another long term resident and his family being left feeling like they have been pushed out of the community they called their home for so long. My daughters were born here and they don't feel safe anymore.

All this can be directly attributed to the Freedom of Movement. It really can and it's that which the Remain camp never once addressed in the build up to the referendum. I'm one of the many here who feel that they have no option but to leave. Out of all the lads I grew up with and went to school with, I'm the only one left here. Our community is on it's knees.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2016
  13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That really sucks, but those Roma immigrants can be deported under the 2014 European Citizenship Directive. The Leave Alliance specifically mentions that in their Flexcit proposal.

Those Roma gipsies can be booted from your country (and should). It is not the EU, but your government that is the problem.

14. StingLikeABee

It was the freedom of movement principle that allowed them to come here in the first place though Nexxo. When it boils down to it, that is the stark truth of the matter. Pretty much none of them had jobs to come to. Most didn't have a pot to piddle in between them to support themselves and many of them showed not one ounce of respect for the community that they were entering or the laws of the land. Then we constantly hear from pro EU people that immigration benefits us all. It really doesn't in some cases, much more cases than many are prepared to admit and for that reason, whether it be solely or as part of a chain of reasons, people are voting out. I really don't blame them either.

15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well, polls are closed.

Place your bets and hold your breath....

16. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Freedom of movement also allowed a lot of other people to come here who aren't a***holes, you can't group them together.

If instead you got law abiding average Jo(se) would freedom of movement still be a problem?

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Part of me wants to see Britain leave just to see what happens. It's definitely the nore interesting of the two out comes.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Well, looks like worst will come to worst at the moment, hopefully it will swing back to remain...

By the way Nexxo, I'll give you asylum if you want, the police wouldn't dare to set foot into the area I'm in unless you start building bombs (and that is progress because 30 years ago they would have instructed you to build the bombs with full UK government backing).

19. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

how does it look now?

20. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope