1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Well I'm one of the idiots who voted out was the first one in the queue at my polling station.
    What I will say other countries were wating to what we did and others will now follow.

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

We can't just keep having referendums till both sides are happy, because that's never going to happen on something as big as this. If people aren't happy with the result; that's a bugger, because Democracy works like that.

I didn't shout about the fact our current elected parliament held a total of around 35% of the UKs votes, but fractionally over half makes a decision (Ill informed or no) and suddenly it needs doing again?!

3. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

100% agree with you on that one.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Fractionally over a third, not fractionally over a half: 37.5% voted Leave, 34.7% voted Remain, 27.8% did not vote.

5. .//TuNdRa

It wouldn't surprise me if Scotland and Ireland both voted for independance (Also means we're going to see Scottish Independance 2, Electric Boogaloo, and even more tits being jiggled on TV if they try the same moronic advertisement tactics as last time.)

Especially since some of the arguments made were flipped on their head, the very same arguments made to convince Scotland to remain were them used to convince the UK to leave, which is more than a bit two faced.

Good grief, I didn't realize voter turnout was that awful on something this big. I wonder how many of those are now kicking themselves over not voting one way or another?

6. StingLikeABee

StingLikeABee What's a Dremel?

I think that should the government intentionally stall on honouring the outcome of the vote, or try to wrangle out of it there would be bloody riots and it would give every far right nutcase the perfect excuse to cause mayhem and misery.

Also, what state would further uncertainty leave the UK economy in? We need to take a mo and breathe, that's a given, but the sooner we conclude our trade negotiations and the legal side of things, the better it will be for the UK. We know then where we are at and can move forward from there.

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'm not upset by the result as it was pretty close and free will and all that, a little disappointed that the vote didn't go in favour of remain but that's life I guess.

I am a little bit concerned... only a little bit... about what's going to happen to the voluntary sector and my place within it, the sector (at least in Cornwall) relies quite heavily on backing from the EU as our government keeps cutting support to services.
    At the moment we don't know if the EU will change their stance to supporting the voluntary community sector within the UK, there's a chance that we'll still be able to work together with our European partners for the sector but there's also a chance that leaving could cause too many restrictions... if things to go against the sector's partnership working, those who are poorest who rely on charity are going to suffer more than ever.
    It could negatively hit things like food banks, community transport schemes, flood/winter resilience, youth services, mental health support, advocacy and so on.

We'll get through it if there's less funding and manpower because the voluntary sector is all about fighting hardship and challenging the ridiculous cuts that the government keeps making, still I hope that whoever takes the lead on the government now takes a good hard look at how little Cornwall gets supported internally and makes the right changes to prevent services getting hit too hard.

I propose that next time we raise a big decision like this, the two opposing sides just have a good ol' fashioned joust... it'd save so much time and money.

8. .//TuNdRa

I'm fairly confident in the UK economy recovering from this, we're still trading and on the same footing as we were last night, just now there's a definite statement that things are going to change "At some point" in the future.

Although the government could conceivably wiggle out of it, since it was Cameron himself who promised to abide by the results of the Referendum, but I highly doubt that most people will accept that excuse for the Government straight up ignoring the results after something this large.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Awful? That represents the highest turnout at a UK election since 1992. Basically, apathy rules.

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

This is verging on racism and hate speech. You've been warned, here and in other threads, for your attitude to your posts. Either rein it in or you'll be having an enforced break.

11. StingLikeABee

StingLikeABee What's a Dremel?

Jesus Christ, how the hell is any of what you quoted verging on racism or hate speech. Tell you what I'll make it easy for you, as you lot obviously want me gone. Go **** Yourselves, happy now dickhead?

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Seeya! Well. Done.

13. .//TuNdRa

It sits funny with me that people are willing to let this much slide by, when throwing their two pence in could easily swing it. I don't understand why people are unwilling to vote when mobilising those that normally wouldn't vote can cause so much change.

Or maybe I've been looking at too much Bernie Sanders propaganda floating around in the past few months...

14. Gareth Halfacree

S'crazy, innit? You don't even have to put any effort in: I've never been to a polling station in my life, 'cos I vote by post. Letter arrives, stick me cross in the relevant box, put it in an envelope, sign envelope, stick envelope in second envelope, post. Job's a gud 'un.

15. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

England will now go on and win the Euro 2016 football tournament just for the lolz :thumb:

lp1988 likes this.
  16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I am watching Sky News and i am just looking at some guy from leave camp saying they will implement australian-like point system for immigration. So that means UK not being in EEA, neither EFTA (that is going to be gone anyway).

Good luck guys, you will need it.

17. .//TuNdRa

Or we'll win next year's Eurovision.

Nah, I'm just being crazy now.

My local polling station is literally 300M away, it's a light walk over the road, it is not incredibly hard to vote. I think it's actually about as idiotproof as it can be.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Maybe that's the problem!

(I kid, I kid.)

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think he'll find it is not as simple as that. 75% of government are still Remainers, and that ratio exists across all parties, so a general election wouldn't change that. Add to this that big business and the powerful civil service are pro EEA also.

Moreover a poll of the general public finds that the majority is in favour of staying in the EEA. Not all Brexiteers are that fussed about immigration.

So if the government decided to negotiate retained membership of the EEA, then I think there will not be much public resistance to that --especially when the economic consequences are starting to bite.

20. .//TuNdRa