1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Un-named 900D Build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DrunkedDan, 11 Jan 2015.

1. DrunkedDan

DrunkedDan What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,
    First post here, so be gentle! :D

After Christmas, what better than to spend money on a new rig?! I've liked the look of the 750D, but couldn't fathom a way to make a twin loop build looks neat in it, so went for a 900D instead!
    Having seen the Yoyotech build in Custom PC a while ago (with the Scan Bear as well) I really liked the clean looks of the internals and as my current rig (antec p280 with 3770k @ 4.5 and a 7850 under water and 8 gb vengeance) has been up and running for about two years I thought it about time for a new build.
    The guys will remain an MVF with the i7, the GC will get upgraded to a 970 or 980 under water the memory may be kept, but will more than likely get upgraded to 16gb or a faster 8gb kit, the mobo has the EK block on it, and the PSU is a Corsair RM750 which will come along to the 900D.

I got the case from Overclockers, and at the same time got a sheet of grey plexi (the theme I'm going for will be grey scales, I was originally going for black and red, but had a change of heart when everything seems to be that colour!
    Anywho, enough rambling, on with some pics and some words:
    [​IMG]
    E-Atx Looks small doesn't it? One thing I wanted was a divider plate, hence the 1/2" perspex acting as a mid-plate, I have a huge sheet of this, and an afternoon with the router and my power file has got me one. You can see the grey plexi acting as a motherboard back plate, and the 8 pin, 24 pin and molex additional routed through individual cable holes and hooked up to the spare MVF I have (bent cpu pins and fried...) Goosed Sessonic PSU in for good measure as well for mocking up.
    [​IMG]
    Another pic facing the rear.
    [​IMG]
    Another pic facing the front.
    [​IMG]
    So this was this weekends work, the USB, Audio And IO BitFenix Extensions have been run (I hate sleeving cables...:wallbash:)
    Also, the mid plate has been marked where the EK 280 and XSPC RX480 rads will sit, the RX480 will be running pull with four Noctua Nf F12's I've taken out of the p280, the EK280 running push pull, with four Akasa Apache 140mm (A cracking Fan BTW, and under-rated IMO) the 280 on all the time, the 480 on when the gpu temp increases, this is the plan if i stick with fan xpert, but I have a Corsair Link commander and cooling node, if I can find another cooling node I may well run Link, but the lock of an ability to turn a fan channel off bugs the heck out of me...The bottom rads will be linked and the plumbing will come up through the mid plate, which I will drill and tap, this will then take primochill revolver fittings and acrylic tube. The mid plate will be carbon fibre wrapped.
    [​IMG]
    Looking up the 480 I've moved into the roof to mock up the res' and pump assembly's. This will be push pull with eight 120mm Apaches.
    [​IMG]
    Front on, one pair of 120mm Apache's, the bottom space will have access to the drain valve for the loop(s maybe, of the CPU loop will have access through the spare PSU blanking plate)
    [​IMG]
    Annoyingly, the Primochill CTR2 D5 res's don't fit side by side next to the mobo, or they could, but there'd not be any access to the flow form the res closest the front of the case...So...
    [​IMG]
    Using more 1/2" plexi I've fabricated a pair of brackets today...
    [​IMG]
    Rear View, the CPU loop will have a 90 degree fitting (not this one) to come up and head behind the GPU res, it might look tight from this picture, but...
    [​IMG]
    plenty of room...just hope the Bitspower fittings I've ordered will fit as well...
    [​IMG]
    Bottom of case floor has been, and and all insides of panels will be coated in Dynomat Dynalier. The 480 mounts have been wrapped in Arlon Carbon fibre wrap which goes on a damn sight nice and looks better to me than 3M. Just need work to order some more...:thumb:
    [​IMG]
    This is it for this weekend, the res mount assemblies aren't finalised, I'm waiting on more bits so I can see how high they can go, as I'll be running the top inlet on the reservoirs, as both the side inlets on them seem to be really noisy and create a really strong vortex, so the top threads will be drilled, bulkheads fitted and 90 degrees run for inlets and a length of tubing run into the res to keep them quiet.
    [​IMG]
    280 rad has a piece of plexi wrapped and tapped into the space to the front, and another will be made to fit the rear, encasing it all in and hiding the cables from the PSU.
    Hopefully I'll get some stuff done this week, but I'm waiting on parts and funds to order more parts, and the back bedroom needs the blown plaster taking off for the plasterer coming in a week, and all manner of other rubbish I bet the missus will have for me to do...
    One thing of note, anyone considering running a RX480 in the roof of a 900D with the end tank with the fittings at the front of the case will have to dremmel the casing of the I/O housing, I haven't decided If I'm keeping the standard IO or doing something custom, will be thinking on this this week!

TTFN,
    Dan

Last edited: 11 Jan 2015
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Howdy fellow modder. Your image links need fixing. Make sure that the address inside the IMG tags ends with an image file extension like .jpg.

3. DrunkedDan

I copied the BB code from the upload in my user CP, and they display fine on my desktop, but not my iphone, EDIT:OR Chrome, but are fine in Firefox. Any idaeas?

Dan.

4. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Working in Chrome for me!

5. DrunkedDan

Fixed the images. :)

6. DrunkedDan

Mini Update Time, despite it annoying me I can't switch PWM to 0, I'm going with Corsair Link. I have a commander and cooling node, so I have had delivered a commander mini and a lighting node. The lighting node will run strips of leds in the case (thanks ebay, 7.50 for 5m worth :D) and the led output from the commander mini will run the three strips shipped with it for another light channel. This will give me 8 temperature sensors and eleven (!!!) fan channels which i am planning as follows:
    Cooling Node in base of case:
    1 cpu pump rpm
    2 gpu pump rpm
    3 all four 140mm apaches on the small rad
    4 two out of the four noctuas on the 480
    5 the remaining two noctuas on the 480.
    Commander Mini behind mobo tray:
    1 rear 140 apache
    2 front 120 apache
    3 other 120 apache
    4 half of the 8 apache 120's in the top 480
    5the other half of the apaches in the top 480
    6 psu fan speed (RM PSU and I don't think I've heard it...
    So, onto what ive been upto.
    Struggled to get hold of another rx480 for the top so went with ek 480 up there, it's about 6mm thicker, so what you think:
    [​IMG]

Got a replacement optical drive cover sent with the link bits and as i'm going to be using a usb header for the link commander and i have the thunder fx with the mvf I don't use the front io for much so decided to butcher it...
    [​IMG]
    the back was cut away for rad clearance, but i've chopped the front from the 4 usb ports on the right to the holder for the front pannel and replaced with a bit of plexi (which looks see through but is grey, an offcut of the mobo tray.
    [​IMG] filled the top bit in where the power button was with another bit of plexi and dynalinered the rear of the cover panel
    [​IMG] front view with just glue before filler goes on tomorrow all being well.
    [​IMG]
    optical driver cover fills the hole in the top =D
    It sits about 2mm shorter in height so all being well it'll look allright, if not I've got some cad designs of a replacement i/o which are either 45 ish or 75 is to 3d print.

Cheers Guys,
    Dan.

7. adjago

adjago What's a Dremel?

great case