1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Pascal and Polaris Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 25 Aug 2015.

1. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Currently running a 7970 and I'm at 1080p but I'm planning on moving to an ultrawide monitor at some point in the near future, either a 1440p or 1080p ultrawide or even a regular 4k monitor.

Yeah It's a bit of a difference, I'm not really sure the 480 is a big enough upgrade from the 7970 though

2. rollo

rollo Modder

It's not in all honesty, at 1080p you might go from high to ultra in some titles. It's less than 3k points in 3D Mark.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's a huge upgrade dude. Nearly twice as fast.

Personally I would order one of these.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-37b-sp.html

And then once you have decided on exactly what monitor you want etc maybe get something better. Thing is, even one 1080 is not man enough for 4k so you might want to rethink that too, especially if you are planning on gaming at that res.

I think that 1440p is the res to go for though, unless you specifically need 4k for work purposes so that you can cram loads of stuff on one screen.

4. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Oh I must have misread some benchmarks for the 480. Might have to pick one up then, plus can always add in a second if needed

5. Vault-Tec

Thinking back to my 7990 which was basically 7970 in Crossfire X the GTX 980 was around the same.

That Nitro should overclock to around 980 performance in DX11, but it's DX12 you will see the difference in. I'm quite confident that the Nitro in DX12 should perform around double the performance of the 7970.

I'm going to pick up one myself for my third PC :)

6. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Does look like a very nice card, but from benchmarks it seems to struggle getting to 60fps in games like the Witcher3 on ultra @ 1080p makes me want to go for the 1070 but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cost.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends if you considered a 970 a upgrade from the 7970 ( 680 Nvidia side ) I didn't personally and the 480 offers the same gains outside of dx12.

If dx12 was every title out there would be a easy upgrade as it is its 3 games and none of them are native dx12 only titles.

1070 costs more and offers more it's a choice you will have to make. I'd be waiting for full custom cards of the 480 if I was buying one. Nitro is pre order with no confirmed launch date and its £250 as is, it's not a lot more to a custom 1070 from there. £130 on top for a lot more performance.

8. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Yeah that's what I'm thinking I'm seeing 100fps in the witcher 3 with the 1070 which is class performance.

What did you decide to go for?

9. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

OK well i'm playing Witcher 3 on Ultra apart from hairworks, 1440p, 60fps. The Dream!

Palit JetStream 1070, boosts to around 2025, mem at 9100.

I'm happy, its expensive but my thinking has always been sell your old one while its still worth something. If you wait for the 1070 to come down in price you have to take into account the second hand value of your current card coming down too.

10. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

From a £250 card, an increase of £130 is HUGE ! It's more than half the cost again. Yeah you get more power, but it costs a hell of a lot more. Not saying the 1070 isn't the better card, it is a huge performance leap, but that leap comes at a steep price.

11. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Yeah it's a bit of a steep price jump.

Ended up going for the EVGA 1070 SC from amazon for £409.. God knows when it'll be in stock but it seems one of the cheaper places to get EVGA from, plus if it comes in stock anywhere else for a similar price before mine's dispatched I can always cancel.

I paid a fair wack back when I got my 7970 and it's lasted me over three years so hopefully the 1070 will last even longer

12. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I couldn't pre-order, I'd just want it NOW, and even a short wait would make me crazy ! Sure you'll be well chuffed when it's installed though.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

EVGA have major UK stock problems, overclockers got 50 total cards for the Cheesecake edition, the pre order list for the Asus Strix is above 700 at last count.

Demand is heavily outstripping demand that Asus and EVGA have available.

The Palit cards are reviewing very well, faster than both the Asus and EVGA cards and a fair whack cheaper with a better cooler. The other 2 cards have better power delivery systems on them but not sure it's worth the £90 premium.

Been tempted to just get one of them than wait forever for EVGA or Asus.

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

15. [PUNK] crompers

Can confirm the JetStream is great. I've never bought Palit before as I always thought of them as budget cards but this definitely does not feel budget. The cooler is pretty over over specced for a 1070 too so you have plenty of headroom.

All I did was whack up the power to 112% and it clocked to 2025 without issue, I have a feeling I could maybe go higher with the memory too but left it at 9100.

Played The Witcher 3 for 4+ hours last night and the core never broke 67c, pretty impressive for the OC, certainly cooler and quieter than my MSI 970 with the Twin Frozr but then it is a huge chunk of metal (2.5 slots).

In stock now at Overclockers, cheaper than a lot of models and probably cooler and quieter too.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The palit cards of the 9xx generation were excellent as well - regularly reviewed as being the best of the bunch. The only thing you don't get is transferable warranty.

17. [PUNK] crompers

A friend of mine had a Palit GTX460 which really put me off tbh, cheap crap at the time. Seems like they have picked up their game in recent years.

18. Vault-Tec

They look OK. I had a couple of 670 Jetstreams and while they were worryingly light and a tad flimsy they were OK. What I couldn't get my head around was that they were triple slot and needlessly so.

So I took off the front part of the cooler, cut down the plastic legs et voila, just over two slots leaving a nice gap for air.

The fans got annoying quickly though. Like a really horrid whirr.

Would I buy again? doubtful. Palit are one of the companies that stick covers over their screws with WARRANTY VOID stickers everywhere. I wouldn't mind so much but they have their TIM applied by a monkey and I needed to replace it on both cards to get them under 90c in SLI.

Which reminds me. The Jetstreams absolutely detested being ran in SLi. Temps were ridiculous for two 670s.

They ain't no MSIs though.

19. [PUNK] crompers

Well, proof is in the pudding. I have no intention of taking the card apart or watercooling so that's not an issue. No intention of running SLI so again not an issue.

As I say it is cooler and quieter than the 970 Twin Frozr when both OC'd. First hand experience here.

20. Vault-Tec

Just be careful with the warranty stickers. They like to lift up and curl off.

One of mine got sucked into the card above and it looked like my wife had washed my PC with a tissue..