1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ESKIMOD 2.0 - [COMPLETED]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ToddK, 28 Feb 2016.

1. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Well, we're pretty much complete. Have received the final fittings and through much arduous leak testing, fitting, re-fitting, removing (repetition, ad-nauseam) I finally seem to have everything plugged and functional. Some minor additions coming to store some SSDs and add some front side USB connectors, but they are minor updates I'll get to eventually. As it stands Windows is installed! Let the data migration begin! :rock:

Added some vinyl lettering to each side of the case. One of the more distinctive features of the league is the center line (C) or 55 yard line as it's known. A must have to note the league.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also the power button / championship ring is front and center. Had to turn down the brightness a pinch just to be able to photograph it.

[​IMG]

Tubing, tubing, tubing. I thought it would be cool if some hard-line tubing passed right through the wall... Yep, thought it was cool right up until I had to install it. Many/much hours on that bend and trying to get it past the frame, but omg it happened!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course, backlit EVERYTHING. WOOT!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll settle down over the next couple of days here and do up a nice final photo shoot. In the meantime enjoy! I know I will be. :D

2. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Well, I got bored already and ran a 3D Mark 11 with just the floating fans, then added some backside fans for a push/pull config and ran it again.

Oddly, the temps went up slightly with push/pull. I did not at all expect that... :jawdrop:

Here are the results:

[​IMG]

3. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

--- FINAL PICS -------------

Set up a photo shoot in the garage today. Tons of pics taken. These were my faves.

Thanks for following!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again to my terrific sponsors: AVEXIR, ALPHACOOL, MODMYMODS.com, MNPCTECH

[​IMG]

4. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

And the finished gaming center. Turns out the speakers make perfect little mini-helmet holders. :thumb:

[​IMG]

5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Nice looking case.

To jump back to your system temperatures. There might be a couple reasons for the higher temperatures. Your first run was in the morning and the second in the afternoon. The ambient temperatures are probably lower for the morning thus lower system temperatures (unless you have air conditioning).
    The other factor is the second test was in a push pull configuration. It is my understanding that the fans need to be tuned for this application otherwise they will interfere with the operation of the other fan. If interested and if you still have the rear fans in place I'd suggest repeating the test a third time in the morning and with the front fans turned off (I don't think you'd need to remove them). But as I originally said this is theory versus real world so you might get exactly the same results as before.

FYI:
    For proper push pull configuration believe that I the first fan is essentially dealing with static air and is trying to move as much air as possible. There a a few ways to do this, either by adjusting the fan speed and or angle of blade pitch. Typically higher angle of blade pitch is used. The second fan is dealing with a moving air stream and is trying to accelerate the air. I believe that a lower fan blade pitched is typically used. If my understanding is correct then the first fan should be configured for a high static application and the second for high air flow. If using identical fans, the second fan should be run at a higher speed than the first.

6. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Good discussion, I appreciate your thoughts.

I'd agree that the ambient temps in the room may have been a degree or two higher. We do have air conditioning, so it tends to be pretty stable throughout the day. This is one of the reasons I included the startup temps in the chart just to show the temps in the room were pretty close at the time.

The system is using what I've been referring to (to myself mostly) as a 'wind-tunnel' design. This was the original concept before I considered any themes for the build itself.

[​IMG]

A) Window drawing in cooler air (mostly a winter thing)
    B) 3x140 high static pressure fans running at 100%
    C) Radiator and 5x120 air flow fans running at 100%

Essentially the way the system is set up is to have high positive pressure within the case. The rear deck fits right under the window and draws cool air into the system (I have tried this on a cool morning, it dropped temps 10-14 degrees overall.) The high positive pressure should force air to escape at the most ventilated area, which should be the radiator. The front fans should be pushing air away creating some lower pressure on the outside of the radiator. Overall this should keep air moving pretty steadily over the rad.

In the case of push/pull I added two fans behind the radiator, but essentially saw no real difference in temperatures. Overall I'm thinking that the flow of air is consistent regardless of the two additional fans that have been added - thus the limited change in temps.

7. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

The idea of capturing cool air off the window is brilliant.

8. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

:thumb: thx

9. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

10. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Quick update on the temperatures discussion above. Discovered that one of the GPUs had a thermal paste issue. Tore it down, opened it up, re-pasted and ran it again. Never got past 56°C. And that was overclocked temps too. MUCH happier with the performance. :rock:

11. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

Quote: The idea of capturing cool air off the window is brilliant.

In a mod that I've seen lot of years ago a guy used the round hole in the window glass, the one used as a exit for the hot air of the air-con, to take frozen air from outside (I think he was from North Europe)
    He had outstanding temps...

Eskimod is gorgeous!!!:clap:Bravo!:clap::clap:

12. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Thanks! :thumb:

Well I didn't quite do what you mentioned there, but I did add some temporary tubing for the summer to re-direct the air conditioning over the rear deck - lol! The desk already had a hole for cables to pass through, so it was nothing to stick a tube through there and a box over the floor register. :brrr:

[​IMG]