1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Corsair unveils ML Series magnetic bearing fans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 Jul 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

$40 for a fan?

Holy shishkabob!

(but those do look sexy though)

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

$40 for two fans. Up to $30.99 for a single "Pro" version.

4. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

You might feel it's expensive, but if you seek silence you only have so many places to go.
    So if you got your fancy watercooler and that radiator needs some help.. well it would defeat the purpose to have a noisy fan on it, and you already spend the money on that watercooler and all.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Improved longevity? I mean, I don't think I've ever had a fan actually fail so I'm not sure I buy that as a USP.

Quieter fans are always nice though - will be interesting to see how they stack up against other premium fans (Industrial PPCs etc)

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

What I don't understand is that while they are releasing these ML fans with LEDs, why their other upcoming fans (SP120's and HD120's) which feature RGB LEDs (x4 and x12 respectively) are not using the ML design... Surely Corsair could offer RGB LEDs on their ML series?

Oh well... I guess that will be 2017's money spinner. :(

7. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Over time fans often become more and more noisy, due to particles/dirt getting in the bearing as it slowly degrades from the constant movement.
    Some people replace them because of that increased noise.

8. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

In 8 years I have had to replace about 8+ fans. Sure they were low cost $10 price range fans but I would rather pay 2x as much for fans that are better and last 2x as long.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

By the time I've needed to replace a fan I would have chucked it out anyway. I'd really need to see/hear one to be convinced they are better than Noctua or other. Really miss my Panaflo LA1s

10. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

maglev fans are nothing new, they've been in computers for many years already (sunon) unless this is something different? The noise is generated mostly by the movement of air/the fan blades anyhow, and reliability is already not a concern with higher end fans. Oh well, perhaps Dyson could get in on the action and create a bunch of fans that use 'air multiplier' effect via air pipes from a pump? No spinning blades!

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ahem:
    :p

12. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

fair enough :p

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

You certainly don't have to pay $30-something for silence.

I can't believe that after all the research that has been done on computer fans, vendors are still pulling the "even quieter" trump card to make sales. It's utterly ridiculous. Good quality bearings don't make noise, so changing the bearings won't make a fan quieter.

Note: the best and quietest fans I have are all dual ball bearing fans - Thermarlight TY-143, Gentle typhoon, various Nidec and Delta fans, and most recently some frickin' sensational San Aces. The more cooling you have, the more air noise you will have. No bearing technology will ever change that.