1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Robot Wars - IT'S BACK

Discussion in 'General' started by Snubbs, 13 Jan 2016.

1. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I enjoyed it over all.

Like has been said, watching Razer not live upto the expectaions of anyone who saw it become world champion and become one of the best robots ever along with HypnoDisk and Chaos2, was a strange experience for me.

Carbide was phenomenal, the death hum was really something that added to the fear factor of that weapon. The fact it completely obliterated Nuts was something was amazing to watch, I don't recall ever seeing a Bot do that much damage to another one. I did love the effort that it appeared the other teams put in to help Nuts get in for its final match.

Can't wait for the next

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I'd love to see Carbide battle against Napalm from the old series just to see it tear the flimsiest robot ever to ribbons.

[​IMG]

3. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Seriously enjoyed that. Yes it lacks some of the charm of the old series, but the fights were mostly great to watch, and there were lots of them.

Well deserved win too.

4. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Alot of people loved the 'Death hum' i admit i really did enjoy it but also try to remember this was a thing in the original wars as well, mainly drowned out through sound engineering

a fantastic example of this is the Hypnodisc Vs Splinter fight

Here is the fight as we saw it, with commentary and soundtrack added

And here is the un-editied footage, with original sound, no commentary and no music, and once Hypnodisc gets going... you can REALLY hear that Death Hum and also Dead Metals saw sounds SO much better in this format

5. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Just watched it on iPlayer, very impressed with it, felt like it was more focused on battles rather than some of the silly things they did in the first generation of the show.

Sad to see Razor go out in the first battle and my old name sake there put up a good fight too :) I am in no way affiliated or connected to the Behemoth team on the show lol

6. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Cox isnt a scouser hes a Manc,

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I was all ready to gleefully heap abuse on the Robot Wars reboot and mock it mercilessly. I've always like the idea behind Robot Wars but the execution of the previous incarnation left and *awful lot* to be desired.

So I watched this earlier. And I didn't hate it. In fact I quite liked it. I'm glad they changed the set design and got a (mostly) fresh crew; I love Craig Charles, but the way he presented the old show pissed me off royally.

Not really interested in Noel Sharkey's teenager-smashing exoskeleton ambitions though.

Carbide is terrifying. The noise that thing makes is enough to make you not want to go anywhere near it. Takes time to get up to speed tho.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2016
  8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

You know what, I quite enjoyed that - shame Razer fell in the pit.

Can't see much stopping Carbide so long as it can spin up the blade.

9. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Terrahurz had the right tactic, out manouver it and stay close to prevent that blade getting up to speed. Behemoth tried that but just didn't have the endurance for it.
    Thinking back didnt Behemoth fight hypnodisk in the old wars and used the scoop fairly effectively to deflect hits? Carbide's blade does seem quicker to get to speed and have more destructive force than hypnodisk had.
    I reckon the motor for the blade could break if hit enough times forcing it to stop. Both bots went flying when it connected. Just think what a solid arena wall would do tho.

10. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Really enjoyed the first episode.
    Dara did a good job presenting the show, though his post-fight interviewing could do with some work.

I was really disappointed by what happened to Razer, I wanted to see some head to head battles with that one. It felt like quite a cheap knockout...
    I'd actually be happier if they removed the pits completely so that people either fight until someone's robot fails or until the time runs out.

Nuts was an interesting robot to bring to the arena and considering it had practically no offensive capability, it did quite well. I think if they changed the chain flails for something with a bit more bite, it could have done some actual damage to a couple of the others.

Carbide was a good design, that spinning blade was brutal when it reached top speeds... I reckon it took somewhere close to 3.5 seconds to reach the 'death hum' speed.
    I think the motor did break in the last fight as it stopped spinning properly after the last time they hit Behemoth,
    luckily they did enough damage to immobilise Behemoth.

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Almost makes me want to look into getting a uni team going...

12. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Carbide's has more weight to it, and the design will catch the metal of a scoop or side of a robot better than hypnodisk. I think Hypno was design to sheer more, whereas Carbide is design for both sheering and hard, solid impact which suggests they might be able to cope with a solid stop a bit better?

You're right though, watch any well piloted spinning disk robot and none of them will go anywhere near a wall. They're death to the motors/belts.

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Yeah, I'm wondering how they cope with the sudden stops from the motors. Maybe they have a special clutch?

14. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I want to see a BioHazard comeback! Refit and upgraded, ready to defend his crown.

[​IMG]

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

15 mins heads up

16. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Well reminded. I've been Afterburnering it up so much that I nearly forgot.

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

holy **** that Thor is fast, shame its relying on pure blunt force, if he sharpens the axe then he stands a chance.

18. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I was thinking the same. Why take the corners off the cutting edge?

Still, it's working really well and the guy controlling it seems very experienced too. Thor to win this one I reckon.

Edit: ...or maybe not. :eeek:

Last edited: 31 Jul 2016
  19. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Don't want the axe to get stuck in another bot.

Besides, Thor wields a HAMMER!

Very unlucky to suffer a failure like that in the final.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Nice show this one. Some impressive robots of differing designs and unexpected outcomes.