1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Driver error or?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 31 Jul 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Original thread over on software forum.

Just had a Blue screen whilst playing Far Cry Primal and using Nirsofts BlueScreenView the problem seems to related to Nvidia as the cause is related to Nvlddmkm.sys and dxgmms1.sys.

First blue screen I have had with Windows 7 and this is after my 1080 upgrade.

Where should i be looking for a solution?

Added.
    I did not have the latest driver, I thought I did, and did a clean install and so far so good.

Unfortunately this morning I got another blue screen and I was away from my PC at the time and nothing much was open.

Anyone make any sence of this from Nirsofts BlueScreenView?

Dump file.073116-7831-01.dmp
    Crash Time31/07/2016 10:47:40
    Bug Check string SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    0x0000003b
    00000000`
    c0000005
    fffff800`0313b437
    fffff880`08ce1f10
    00000000`00000000 ntoskrnl.exe
    ntoskrnl.exe+6f400
    NT Kernel & System
    Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    Microsoft Corporation
    6.1.7601.23418 (win7sp1_ldr.160408-2045) x64
    ntoskrnl.exe+6f400
    C:\Windows\Minidump\073116-7831-01.dmp
    4 15 7601 413,120 31/07/2016 10:48:55

2. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

After having a quick check to make sure that the CPU temps are sensible under load, my immediate first thought is that it'd be worth doing a full memtest run using the bootable version to hopefully rule out if the issue's memory, cpu, bios settings, etc based.

Simply that there's no point in looking at either the new card, drivers or other s/w until you rule it out - given that all of the above could give rise to random memory mapping errors.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

RAM showing errors, well one after about an hour, so RMA?

4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Try it at stock settings if you've overclocked.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Removed the overclock prior to running Memtest.

6. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Whilst obviously not great that there's a problem, at least you now know that it's not a s/w issue - which saves hours of arsing about with drivers & Windows settings & whatnot.

Right, from personal experience, a failed memtest doesn't necessarily mean that it's the memory.

Along with memory being an issue, i've also had memtest fail d.t. CPU & VRM temps being too high - though the latter would tend to be more likely to be an issue if you're w/cing the CPU, which you're not of course...

...& i've also had problems a couple of times with early bioses, where an update has increased stability & sorted memtest failing; esp with higher spec memory.

What it 'should' mean though is that it's not the 1080.

Mmmmm... Unless, perhaps, for some reason there's some issue with the change in power draw causing random issues elsewhere... ...though i've never come across this.

Yeah, so obviously you can look to see if there's a CPU or VRM temp issue...

...&, using memtest to test (as you know that there's an issue shown in it) -

- you can see if there's a newer bios

- you could try the sticks of ram individually to see if any of them fail when at least one other doesn't... (obviously if they all fail individually you've not established that it's the memory)

- & you can stick your old graphics card in &/or use the PSU from the other machine to see if it's a power issue

& they 'should' allow you to reasonably test everything that it sensibly could be (without buying anything new or RMAing in case it solves the problem) & identify the issue.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have no idea what s/w is?

Unfortunately my issues began after the installation of the 1080 as the PC had been running with the new mobo/CPU/RAM without issues since May when I was using a 980.

Temps are fine on both CPU and GPU and the creashes have pretty much happened when there has been no load on either.

Always update the BIOS on receipt of new mobo so OK there.

Not sure I fully understand the above. But the 16gb came as a package so if only one failed I would still need to return them all

Sold both recently.

I do have these images and a question or two. This is well outside my comfort zone so forgive me if the questions are daft.
    In this image you see Memtest list the RAM as DDR3 and it is DDR4 and shows timings of 19-15-15-31 when it should be 16-16-16-36, why is this?
    [​IMG]

In this image at 10+ hours I have two errors I had none at 7 hours.
    [​IMG]

And this image confuses me. I went to have a look at the DRAM timings in the BIOS and instead of seeing 4 columns I see this, so have no idea where the correct timings should be entered as there seems to be only three which currently have 15-15-36 instead of 16-16-16-36 so as I say confused as to what should be entered where or even if I need to and just leave it at auto.
    [​IMG]

Any help or advice welcomed.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2016
  8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Software.

Maybe so, but still doesn't mean that it's at fault.

Back in May? Because there's a BIOS update from July from what I can tell and another in the middle of May both which improve stability.

You would, but at the moment it's not clear if the RAM is at fault, or if something else is causing the RAM faults. The more things you add to a system, the more points a fault can occur. So you want to minimize the variables to help pinpoint the issue.

I'll pass on the memory timing questions and defer to someone more experienced!

PocketDemon likes this.
  9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Will check on the BIOS though it looks as though I am going to RMA the RAM.

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Just to be sure - the CPU socket pins are all A-OK, right?

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I was the epitome of careful after my problems with the Sniper board and as I said Sam the problems have only recently started. There seems no rhyme nor reason as the blue screens are very sporadic and usually when nothing much is happening. I am playing Far Cry Primal at the moment and so far nothing untoward.
    I will check if a BIOS update does anything before RMAing the RAM though the errors do give cause for concern.

12. jinq-sea

Alrighty :)

CPU socket problems can cause all manner of issues - just wanted to close it off :thumb:

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

If your timings are lower than what those sticks are rated for, it could well be that causing the BSODs.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

But as you can see by the last image I am not sure what number goes where and there is little help in the manual.

15. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I don't know how all the numbers match up, but under the primary timings, change the first two values to 16 (from 15) for both channels and see if that helps.

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

+1. Always the absolute first port of call on Intel with memory errors.

Edit. Apparently I'm being ignored so can some one please point out that he should load up CPUZ, go to the SPD tab and see what JEDEC states about timings.

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I did that prior to running Memtest for 10 hours but unfortunately still eventually got the two errors.
    It is running very sweetly at the moment, still playing Primal.

18. jinq-sea

Glenn could you post a screenie of the SPD tab in cpuz? Ta!

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Here you go mate.
    [​IMG]

20. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Where are the RAS precharge and tRC (or equivalent) settings in your BIOS? I do wish they'd all stick to the same terminology.