1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Help me find a low profile or right-angled PCIe power connector

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Byron C, 1 Aug 2016.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Cross-posting from my wanted thread in the Marketplace...

I just picked up a Sapphire R9 390 and the case I want to put it in is gnat's testicle too narrow to get the side panels on. The cables stick out just that little bit too much - we're not talking much here, maybe 5-10mm. I could get the side panel back on if I use so much force that it warps the motherboard, but obviously I don't want to do that.

Before I do a crappy job of trying to make/modify something, can anyone here help me find something? Google really isn't helping me - unless I want to pay a fortune to import something from the states. I need 2x 6-pin cables/connectors.

I don't really want to sell the card on and just hope that whatever replacement I get will fit the case. And I really don't want to have to change the case again either!

2. neilhart

neilhart What's a Dremel?

I feel your pain. I ran into the cable connectors being too tall on my mini-ITX Tower build and used a piece of plexi from a G5 Power Mac inside cover and made a side panel with the bulge located to provide the clearance that I needed;

[​IMG]

Then on another slim build, I bussed female pins together with solder to make up a super slim connector… And then uses RTV to hold the thing together. Not ideal, but works well.

[​IMG]

Good modding,
    neil

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Neat builds :thumb:. I think I'll be modifying an extension cable for this case, not sure I want to solder to the card.

This is the problem: $16 international shipping for an $8 item :).

I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and modify one myself.

5. ALS

ALS Minimodder

My variant for old HD5770 : external connector (MOLEX) soldered to PCB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm sure I could make you up something just for shipping if you're interested. Got all my gear to wire my new build and I can share.

Byron C likes this.
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Whoa, sorry, I totally forgot to reply to this!

Thanks for the offer, but right now I'm having a sort of "PC gaming existential crisis"; I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep this system as-is, so I wouldn't want you waste your time!