1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress BatManned's Computer Build Log

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by BatManned, 17 Jul 2016.

1. BatManned

BatManned What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone! I am in the midst of custom building a gaming computer and thought I'd share my progress with this lovely forum. This build is still a work in progress but I aim to have it done by August 4th for the QuakeCon event in Dallas. So let's get the good stuff started!!

The 'End Goal' for this build is a wall mounted 'Batman' shaped gaming computer/case that will glow yellow and look AWESOME above my desk for when I play games. Did I mention AWESOME!?

Equipment:
    • Plasma Cam
    • Press Break
    • PemSerter
    • TIG Welder
    • Drill / Drill Bits
    • Small Angle Grinder
    • Electric Sander
    ○ 120 and 220 Grit Sand Paper (roughly 20 sheets is what I used)
    • Die Grinder
    ○ 40, 60, 80 Grit Sanding Tips (roughly 10 sheets is what I used)
    • 1/8" Aluminum Sheets
    • Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating Black Spray Paint (with and without built in primer)
    • Foam
    • Exacto Knife
    • Ruler
    • Protractor
    • Sponge Brushes
    • Paint Brushes
    • 6/32" Sheet Metal Counter Sunk Scres / Nuts
    ~~Possibly more to come~~

Software:
    • AutoCAD
    • Adobe Illustrator

Computer Components:
    Lian-Li Motherboard Tray - Black
    Phanteks PH-F140HP - 140mm Fan (6 for this build)
    140mm Black Anodized Aluminum PC Fan Grill (6 for this build)
    ModMyToys Anodized Illuminated 22mm Momentary Switch - Power Symbol Black / White
    HDMI to DVI Cables
    Pactech 4 Pin Molex Connectors
    Right Angle DVI Adapters
    • Nvidia 960 Graphics Card
    ~~More to come~~

Table of Contents
    Phase 12 - Additional Details
    Phase 13 - New Computer Components
    Phase 14 - Finalization
    ~~more to come~~

Thank you for checking out my build and coming along for the journey. If you're coming to QuakeCon, come and check out the final version in the BYOC area. For those not coming to QuakeCon, I'll post images of the event and my computer being there!

Last edited: 10 Aug 2016
  2. BatManned

Phase 1 - Planning and Sketching
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had the idea for this for multiple years without any idea how to actually implement it. Then I met someone who had all the tools I could possibly need and with his allowing me to use them, I got started.

My original idea, was the back of the shape was going to be 'grated' so that I could have yellow LED lights on the inside and the lights would shine out making it have a glow effect when hanging on my wall. The grates would also be an easy way for me to just lower it onto some anchors on the wall for easy hanging.

Either way, now that I had a game plan, I used Adobe Illustrator and created what I needed in vector form so that I could scale the design to fit the size of the computer components. The bottom picture of the link shows the original grated design with size specs and an image of the motherboard to prove it would fit. I then got a motherboard tray from Lian-Li which made those dimensions too small forcing me to scale it up to a few inches. That being said, after my initial prototype, I scratched that idea and just went with a solid shaped build instead.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2016
  3. BatManned

Phase 2 - Initial Set-Up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Initially, using foam that I found at Wal-Mart that was designed for flooring underneath weight training equipment, I used an Exacto Knife to cut out the main shape of the design. Using a ruler to determine the sizing of each section, and a protractor to determine the angles, I started cutting out the bat symbol.

Once complete, I had to make sure the motherboard tray would fit properly within the layout. That being the single largest internal item, it was my biggest concern. As you can tell from the pictures, in this stage, I was cutting that a bit close and ended up enlarging it slightly later on. After that, I took apart my current computer and placed the pieces in locations within the shape that I thought would fit and flow well inside. I plan to have all the fans on the right hand side, including the heat-sink's cooling fan/radiator blowing in and to the left hand side; while at the same time, the left side fans will be pulling the air from the right and blowing it outside. This will hopefully keep things inside from getting excessively hot.

Now that I am happy with the layout, I intend to move to phase 3 for cutting it out and getting it physically shaped.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2016
  4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Can you please post the pictures here rather than linking to an Imgur gallery. Without pics this isn't a project log I'm afraid.

5. BatManned

I would love to but it only allows me to input an 'http://' when I click the insert image link. When I go to Imgur to get the individual photo link, this forum just gives it an error photo icon like this:

[​IMG]

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

You need to use the direct link option rather than the image link. Also please use the large thumbnail option so your pictures aren't huge as our forum does not automatically resize them. I've deleted your next post as it was just links (and broken links).

Thanks

GK

7. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Oh I like that .. 'cos, well, Batman.

One thing that gets me with wall mount PC's though, what do you do with the wires ? I know you could use USB KB & Mouse, but you still need at least power and monitor cables.

8. BatManned

Phase 3 - Cutting/Bending/Setting

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I must admit, I’m not all that proficient at using AutoCAD, so I sent the Adobe Illustrator Designs I made to a coworker who then used it on his AutoCAD software to make them into drawing files. The Plasma Cam being used needed drawing files to run the machine. Once the drawing images were uploaded, the Plasma Cam started cutting out the necessary shapes. We started the cutting with the front panel first. I placed the motherboard tray in the middle again to make sure it fit and that no mistakes were made in the sizing. Then using some of the holes that my motherboard itself doesn't use, we inserted screws with the Pinserter, to allow me to bolt down the motherboard tray.

Then, again, we set out all of the computer components to make sure we knew exactly where we wanted to place everything. I measured out sizing and screw hole locations of each of the computer parts (hard drive, heat sink fan/grill, and power supply) so that I could create what I’ll call ‘elbow’ pieces which will be used to connect the panel to the components. After my associate drew up the measurements in AutoCAD, we once again cut the pieces out using the Plasma Cam. Once we had the cut out, we used the Press Break to bend the pieces at the measured locations, thus officially making them ‘elbow’ pieces. Deciding on placement, I then inserted screws with the Pinserter, which would allow us to bolt down the ‘elbows’ and also connect the hard drive, coolant fan, and the Power Supply to the front panel.

Since all was going well, we cut out the next portion of the case, the back. This time, I needed to make sure to have an access panel; obviously so I can access the computer components for future changes and/or upgrades. Using the same front panel design, my associate then drew up a rectangle cut out section and planned out the screw locations at which the panel would screw to the back panel. He did this for me because he wanted to make sure that the panel could be placed on the back in any orientation and the screw holes would line up. Otherwise, it might have to be put on a single specific way and that would be troublesome.

Now that the front and back panels were taken care of, the depth pieces needed to be made. The depth pieces were ‘harder’ to make due to so much precision to the bending. After I decided the depth of the case, I had to measure out the fans and the fan grills hole locations for the right and left side. Using the Plasma Cam again to cut it all out, then the Press Break to bend the pieces where they needed bending, and finally inserted the screw locations for the fans using the Pinserter. All the other depth pieces just needed cutting, and bending which was just time consuming.

9. BatManned

Phase 4 - Welding
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now that we had all the pieces together and situated, we needed to weld. For concern of warping, we welded little bits at a time until the shape gained enough structure that warping was no longer a concern. The original plan at this stage was to weld about an inch or so, then leave an inch or so gap and so on until it was done. The gap was going to be filled with Bondo so that it would still look good and sealed, but after doing the little welds all around and it gained some structural integrity, I didn’t feel that warping was going to be an issue any more. So then we welded the entire thing all around instead and it looks fantastic. That being said, the welding of course left it looking very dirty and the edges were very uneven.

10. BatManned

Phase 5 - Sanding (Soooo Tiring...)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sanding. Sooo much sanding. I'd say I spent about 30 hours of sanding on this, the way I did it at least...

I started sanding with an electric sander using a 5" round, 120 grit sand paper on each of the flat surfaces along the edges. I sanded down the welding to make it look flush with the panel surfaces. I did that along all the flat sides as best I could. For this case, the size of my sander being so big, I couldn't fit it into the smaller wing areas to sand. Due to that, I had to use a Die-Grinder starting with 40 grit sand paper adapter to get into the small areas. Since 40 grit shaves a lot of the aluminum off at a time, once it got relatively flush, I changed to the 60 grit. Then for smoothness, I changed again to 80 grit.

Now that the edges looked flush with the panels, I went back over each of the corners to make them a more rounded and smooth finish. Once it all felt good, with no major bumps or grinds against my finger tips, I went over the entire thing with 220 grit sandpaper. At this point, since I knew I would be giving it a textured paint, I decided I didn't need to sand at a higher grade grit.

11. BatManned

Phase 6 - Double Check
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At this point I realized I didn't cut the hole out for the power button, so I used a drill with a 3/4" bit to easily cut it out. Actually, I drilled a smaller hole first so that the larger drill bit would drill in more smoothly. I then used a metal file to smooth out the hole and fit in my power button to make sure it fit properly.

I also decided to carve out the back side of the tail to allow all the cables to come out. I measured about 3/4" down and 3/4" across the the other 2 sides forming a triangular hole. I used a Small Angle Grinder to cut through the metal giving me the hole needed for cabling. Then using the same sanding method from before I sanded down the triangular access hole making it smooth just like the rest of the case. I then verified the hole was large enough for the power cable to go through. If anyone is wondering, the power cable wasn't the largest cable as I had thought. I'll get into why this matters in a future post, which I had to fix with a little creative thinking.

12. BatManned

Phase 7 - Painting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting super excited that it is all coming together so far, I start to paint using Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Liner Paint. Specifically, the one that has primer built into the spray can. I basically just started spray painting it as I would any other project, but ended up with some unsatisfying build up spots on the back view of the case. I decided that I would focus the first of my efforts on the depth portion of the case as it was very irregular to get the paint to spray evenly from each of the angles. You can see from some of the images there are ‘bad spots’ which I chose to ignore until I felt good about the depth. I also (somewhat) focused on the interior paint. This not being a crucial concern for perfection, but I did want it to match the outside.

Once the depth all looked good to me, I taped it off with painters tape attempting to protect it from the debris that would occur from sanding the back panel again. This worked out okay, but in hindsight, it was probably unnecessary.

Anyway, I sanded the back plate so that it was smooth and ready for a fresh new coat. I didn’t want to mess up the depth portions though, so I re-taped this area so that I wouldn’t accidently do something to the good portion and have to redo it again, sanding and all.
    This worked out perfect as I was able to give a nice even coat all around the back and front panels. After removing the tape and moving the case off the plastic I noticed there were a couple of areas I didn’t like. Either the tape pulled some of the paint off or it was just really dusty and I couldn’t wipe the dust off nicely. As a secondary coat / fixing slight errors; I used the Rust-Oleum truck bed liner paint that did NOT have the primer included. I’m not a paint expert, but it seemed that this paint went on lighter and not as thick, so I used it to do touch ups.

I also want to note that I live in Texas and the plastic I laid down to paint the case, ended up melting to the bottom wings where it touched down. I ended up taping off a large area around the melted plastic area and had to sand the paint and plastic off so that I could paint it again.

At this point, the case looked awesome and very nicely painted. There were no major flaws that stood out and I was happy with it. I then painted the back panel that covers the access opening which I apparently forgot to take pictures of… my bad.

Anyway, I moved on to the fans / ‘elbow’ pieces next. Being that this case is Batman, and I grew up with batman being black and yellow colors, I wanted to give it some character making these pieces yellow. I also have the intent on adding yellow LED lights so this is just for aesthetic purposes.

I pulled apart the fans and used painters tape to cover all the cables / open areas that paint shouldn’t go. I could have painted the cables I think, but I didn’t want to risk it and them not be usable. Overall, they came out rather well and the slight areas that are still white, doesn’t bother me.

I just realized, I didn’t take pictures of the ‘elbow’ pieces being painted. Guess you’ll just have to wait till the next post to see that those are yellow too.

13. BatManned

Phase 8 – Starting to install
    http://imgur.com/a/9EaRn - Pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just for extra assured purposes, I waited about a full 24 hours making sure the paint settled and dried before bringing it inside. I placed some scrap felt down on the ground to protect the floor / case from scratching. I have a two year old son who is the BIGGEST helper ever >.>

As you can see, he just had to help daddy use all the wonderful tools he could get his hands on. Anyway, I installed the fans first as the corner areas that go to the wings give little to no room for easily attaching the nuts to the screws. I expected this to be much harder but it actually wasn’t too bad.

Just for placement, I put the elbow pieces in there to verify that all the fans would fit as well as the computer components. I originally was thinking that the fan immediately next to the power supply wouldn’t fit and would just be an open area. Being hopeful, I tested to see that both would fit and it did.

14. BatManned

Phase 9 – Computer Component Installation
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time for the moment of truth right!? Time to install my current computer components into the new case and verify what I’ll need to finalize the case.

Knowing that this was going to be the toughest of the pieces to install, I started this process with my power supply in the upper corner. That being said, getting the back nut on the power supply’s elbow screw was the biggest pain in the *** so far to this case. Just contorting my hand and attempting several times to get that one nut screwed on took me an hour or so. Not to mention this whole time, my son was being ever so ‘helpful’ ^.^

Enough of my bickering, let’s move on. Once I finally got the power supply in, I put in the motherboard (nice and easy), followed by the heatsink fan (not too difficult), and lastly the hard drive (piece of cake).

I started running the cables around the way I thought would make the most sense and not just be all cluttered in there in one place. I was then able to see what cables / cable adapters / cable extensions I needed to make sure everything would connect and work.

Remember in Phase 6 when I said I thought the power supply cable was the biggest cable that needed to go through the triangular hole? Yea, it turned out that my cable hole was too small for the DVI / monitor cable heads to fit through. I decided in order to get around that, I would get DVI to HDMI adapters and then use the HDMI cables to get through the hole. Only one of my two monitors though has a HDMI connector, so I had to use another adapter to convert it back from HDMI to DVI for that monitor.

I got fan molex adapters/extension cables so that all the fans would be able to connect to the
    power supply. Also, since my graphics card runs extremely close to the top area, I bought right angle DVI adapters. There was a plastic lip bordering the connectors which made them too close together to get them to both plug into the graphics card at the same time, so I used a knife to slightly shave off a portion of this lipped area. This worked out perfectly allowing them both to connect easily to the graphics card and not rub up against the top of the case. This not only helped making it fit easier, it also helped with running the cables more cleanly.

So I got everything wired and connected and started my first boot up. For some reason, none of my fans were working. Though that concerned me, the computer otherwise booted up just fine and seemed to be working beautifully. I double checked all my fan connections and plugs and everything looked to be in order. Since I wasn’t able to figure it out, I called my brother-in-law who knows more about this kind of thing. He came over and played with it for a while; then when he looked up the cable online, he noticed that the pins were wired incorrectly. Basically, there is a red and black wire; the black wire was originally in the first pin location and the red was originally in the second pin location. According to the picture online, that was backwards. I had to pull these pins out and reverse their locations. Once I did that and plugged it all back in, everything worked perfectly and the computer is up and running.

15. BatManned

Phase 10 – Up and Running
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So here are pictures of the computer all set up and it officially works. Everything is running smoothly, no errors or issues.

I have not yet added the LED lights which I won’t have time to complete before QuakeCon. I’ll be adding more details and hopefully new components in the near future. So look forward to Phase 11 – QuakeCon Photos, Phase 12 - Additional Details, Phase 13 – New Computer Components, and Phase 14 – Finalization.

16. BatManned

Phase 11 – QuakeCon Photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are a few picture of the set up I had at QuakeCon. Originally like I said, I didn’t have any LEDs at all, but on Day 2 of QuakeCon I brought a strand with me and quickly attached them just using tape on the inside to give it just a little something extra.

Hundreds if not thousands of people stopped daily complimenting the case and taking photos of it; it was almost a non-stop thing for 3+ days.

Now, I am local to Dallas where the event is held so I go home nightly to bathe and tuck my son into bed. Due to the fact that I left, I missed out on meeting / talking to Adam Sessler, but according to my friends / gaming clan (Deadly Gaming - www.deadlygaming.com) that were there with me, he came by and checked it out and talked to them about it. I wish I was there for that as I used to watch his shows growing up through high school and that would have been awesome! Anyway, drawing attention from him in general for this build is still incredibly cool!

I was entered into the Modding contest and though I didn’t place in the top 3, I do believe I had the fan favorite at the convention. People seemed super impressed by the build and how smoothly it was crafted; including the judges who were feeling the edges trying to feel the welds or errors that were left from the welds and they couldn’t find any. Sanding as much as I did paid off in that aspect :)

Finally just before I was about to pack up and leave for home, I was visited by a representative at the Nvidia booth who offered me a trade / upgrade to my graphics card. My current card that I have been using for years was the Nvidia 570 and I was traded that card, for the Nvidia 960 card. Due to it being so dark in the BYOC and the fact that he wanted to do the upgrade in person, I wasn't able to take pictures of opening the box for the first time and showing a comparison from old to new.

17. Badger

Badger What's a Dremel?

I like it