1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yep, that is indeed an Arcam Alpha 8R; no complaints about it so far, though I'll probably pop the case off soon to check for bad caps. I didn't know about the warm up time though, cheers for the heads up :thumb:.

I was a bit wary of the speakers; I've read that they have a bit of a design issue whereby the glue used to hold the baffle in place perishes and you end up with a buzzing/farting speaker (demo here: https://youtu.be/vvt2P-38mg8?t=15). But for £45 I was willing to take a risk.

Turns out that mine do have this problem. I only noticed it when one particular song played (can't remember what it was for the life of me), but it was really noticeable when I watched a film last night. A fix doesn't look too complicated, but it's going to be a bit of a faff: I need to get the top driver out, epoxy the baffle in place from the inside and clamp it while the epoxy cures. The guy I bought them from was using them in a surround sound setup, having a subwoofer handling the low-frequency stuff was probably enough to avoid stressing the baffle/cabinet. Still, it's only noticeable in a minority of situations so it can wait until I've got some time off.

*Eventually* I'll be in the market for surround sound, but I don't think I'll get there for a while yet (decent turntable and possibly a pre-amp are next). Otherwise I'd happily give them a home :D.

2. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

^ That's a pity about your speakers, I hope you can fix them. I notice they appear to be resting on the floor on their flat bases. If they are, it will be worthwhile you getting/improvising some spikes for them to stand on (they should have come with some fitted). They'll sound better and won't "walk around".

What made my day awesome was:

a) My Nepton 240m AIO cooler arriving (cheers Spreadie), opening the box and seeing it extremely well packaged and in immaculate condition.

b) My £50 B Grade Z97i-Plus mobo arriving, in great condition in its original box with manual, cables etc.

c) My half-price B Grade Corsair Carbide Air 240 case arriving, also in great condition, complete and in the original box, missing only the big plastic bag from what I can see.

c) My new RAM arriving two days earlier than expected.

d) This cup of Early Grey.

Edit:

e) Seeing an Eurasian Blackcap (tweety-bird).

Last edited: 9 Aug 2016
  3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Speaker spikes are already on "the list" :thumb: :)

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

BLC, I've got some proper speaker glue here that you can have if you need it? I only used a bit of it once to repair the suspension/surround on a subwoofer a while back and haven't touched it since.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

We were overtaken by a speeding BMW on the way home from shopping this evening, while pulling out to pass a parked car and while a pushbike was in the oncoming lane. Why is that awesome, you ask? 'Cos my £20 dashcam caught the miscreant, and it turns out his car is registered as SORN - as in "I don't drive this car on public roads and so don't need tax or insurance, honest officer."

Footage supplied to the police - here's hoping the idiot's wheels go bye-bye as a result.

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  6. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

or the git who stole it gets done Gareth, we wouldn't want to be hasty ..

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

"The idiot" here referring to the driver - whether that's the owner, a friend, or a naughty little twoccer.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Thanks man, but the driver itself isn't the problem - the glue that holds the plastic baffle to the MDF cabinet has perished. TBH I need some epoxy for a few other things around here anyway - cheers for the offer though :) :thumb:

9. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Today ended up being a decent day after all. Although there was a meltdown here and there, my mother came round and actually spent time with her grandchildren. She's actually trying, spoilt them a little bit too.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Internet at home again, that isn't pikeyed from BT home hubs.

11. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Bloodstock tomorrow :rock::rock:

12. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

New build and new airy case means that at long last I can finally make use of some of the many old-school fan grills I've accumulated over the years.

These, of various sizes. Everywhere I can stick one. :rock:

[​IMG]

Each fan screw also got a thick rubber tap washer between fan and panel, mainly because I found some in the shed that fitted perfectly but also because they might help dampen any fan vibration :D, and a metal washer between panel and screw head (darn flimsy cases! The "screw grooves" are very handy for positioning fans anywhere long them but the steel is thin they kept flexing and swallowing the screw heads - Grrr! the metal washers solved the problem by my Coolermaster ATCS201 is built like a tank in comparison to this Corsair Carbide Air 240).

Oh, and fitting my first watercooler to a CPU without breaking anything (those hoses are springy) or drowning was a bonus. :)

Last edited: 12 Aug 2016
  13. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

14. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Got my new ITX build up and working. After 20 minutes of buttery-smooth BF4, the CPU (at stock) topped-out briefly at 43c, and the GTX (~1.1GHz boost) at 67c.

It's just a little bit nippier than my old PC :D and I love this AIO cooler. I should have got one a long time ago.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Finally got paid... no thanks to my bank...

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Sold my GTX 970 so it's soon time for a GTX 1070!

17. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Being another calendar year older (it was last week but only just dawning on me).

When do I start barking at lamp-posts again? I can't wait. :D

18. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Getting a new tattoo done on Thursday from an amazing artist, Last time i was there he was opposite me tattooing some guys lower sleeve and it was genuinely phenomonal.

Bad news is... Heavy black and grey + detailed surrealism + knee cap placement = One painful afternoon

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

nier automata is getting a pc release, i love me a good platinum game, just wish they'd port bayonetta and vanquish

20. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Seems like a double post but I'm syked...
    I've tried pinning this artist down for ages.. his black and grey surrealism is out of this world...

Edit: I post some **** when I'm overtired... ahh well today's the day!

Last edited: 18 Aug 2016