1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Pascal and Polaris Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 25 Aug 2015.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

Which game? Is it possible that temps were causing the CPU to throttle?

2. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

Asseto corsa temps were fine up to 55c on cpu and 65 on gpu h100i gtx cooler on cpu. In a corsair 540 case

3. rollo

rollo Modder

This screenshot is a reason to buy high end pcs lol. Never expected the graphics to down quality so much. Good on blizzard that is. Most graphics engines would not do this.

Depends on the resolution with the 1080. Anything below 1440p and you need a monster cpu with overclock to even stand a chance. The 6700k at 4.7 ghz is bearly enough acording to most reviews.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Errr, that isn't a bottleneck....

5. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

Hi parge what could it have been then

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Anyone have any idea what the Nvidia presentation/event was yesterday? I've seen some pictures but nothing that gives anything away. 1080Ti? Mobile GPU's?

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The only thing I can find is them announcing their quarterly financials.

8. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

That's all I could find as well. They had lots of tech reviewers there so I'm guessing they are releasing something soon.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Nvidia launches the mobile parts today all 3 1060-1080. Price be will be crazy but I'd love to play around with a 1080 laptop that much performance on the go crazy stuff.

There expecting the 1060 to go under a $1000 laptops if that translates well we could see a 1060 powered laptop for under £800

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

1060 looks like an awesome price-performance item. GSync+120Hz+1060 would be fantastic but GSync adds $100 to the price tag still for 'licensing' (aka NV Tax) despite that fact it's all software driven now.

11. Deders

Deders Modder

So there is no additional hardware in Gsync monitors?

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

G-sync still has a separate hardware controller attached to the panel, which handles panel refresh in late-frame-delivery scenarios (i.e. variable frequency Panel Self Refresh), the variable LUT for different pixel update rates, and ULMB backlight driving.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's some sort of ASIC/PIC IIRC. It's also encrypted, so no one actually knows what it does.

Originally Nvidia sold it as a board you fitted to certain monitors. I don't think you can buy it like that any more.

You usually pay about a £100 premium for it.

There was a bit of a scandal where there was a laptop released with Gsync but no module was present, IIRC. Not sure how much truth there was to it in the end as it was swept under the carpet (this was on PCPER and Ryan does like a bit of drama, bless him).

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

That was only for the very first G-Sync monitor ever released, the ASUS VG248Q. You can't use the module with any other monitor.

15. Vault-Tec

Ah OK. I think there was rumour that you could get it as a kit for $X (X = can't remember) and it would fit a few different models etc.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not in notebooks it isn't as the panel is a known factor. No scalar required. GPU is wired to the LCD via eDP. Desktops still use the FPGA. What Nvidia does it quality of service - helps you validate the panel and setup for best use case, so you do get a bit better experience than the FFA on FreeSync (not that you'll ever buy a high-end AMD GPU notebook). Whether that's worth $100 is questionable.

I did the VG upgrade, it was at best, rough.

17. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Yeah, notebooks are a different matter as the panel is connected directly to the GPU via eDP (AFAIAA, no G-sync laptop uses an LVDS panel connection).

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No it has to use eDP

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

PS4 Pro uses GCN 1.1 with some Polaris additions. Doesn't have HEVC encoder in hardware and won't run DX 12.1 only 12.0/11.1. It's argued why it's a 300W+ console and not lower, considering Polaris on GloFo 14FF should be equiv to 16FF TSMC.

RE https://twitter.com/blueisviolet/status/774994333372076033

CPU core is classed as "Tiger" ? Not sure yet what that means in relation to Jaguar.

20. Vault-Tec

Once I know exactly how the Polaris core in it stacks up to desktops I will make my decision as to whether I will somewhat dump PC gaming. I gotta admit even though I am 42 sitting in this chair all day and night just isn't for me any more.

I've not owned a console since the Gamecube. I remember waiting outside Walmart at 4am... Got inside there was an enormous pile of them lol. I have owned a couple since but one never even left the box (Wii) and the 360 was awful so I sold it after playing an hour of Fallout New Vegas on it.

So I do kinda miss the exclusives.