1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ade's YY Cube

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ade, 13 Sep 2003.

1. Ade

Ade What's a Dremel?

Hello!

My first post here after lurking in the shadows for a while... I'd like to start by saying that you guy's have a great forum here!

This is to be my first PC modding project. I don't know how I decided that it would be a good idea to start cutting up PCs; it just seemed to happen. The project is probably doomed to failure, given the history of what happens when I start to tinker with things.. *ahem* ... I'm also rather afraid of power tools. Still, my new junior hacksaw seems to be my friend :)

Okay, so my project is to be based on a Yeong Yang 0221 cube. Why this case? I like cubey shaped things, and I wanted lots of room 'cos I intend to put water cooling in it later. I would have prefered an aluminium case, but there doesn't seem to be any manufacturers making big aluminium cubes. Although, I guess if someone had made the exact case I wanted then I wouldn't have the fun (?) of cutting it up...

I know the YY cubes have been modded a million times, but hopefully I can come up with something a bit different...

Some pics of the stripped down case. Everyone's probably quite familar with YY cubes, but just in case :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tryin' to keep the file size low until I have something worthy of high-res.

I dunno why, but the first thing I decided to do was make a new hard drive bracket thingy out of aluminium. Probably scared of cutting the actual case... trying to postpone it.. yikes that steel looks thick... :worried:

What was wrong with the old one? Umm.. I didn't like all the holes in it? This is what it turned out like:

[​IMG]

...and this is it in the case:

[​IMG]

I think I pinched the 'aluminium strip around the fan' idea from someone on these forums...

Time to bite the bullet and cut some steel!

[​IMG]

:eeek: Eep.. no fan grills!

That's it for now. Thanks for reading! :D

Ade

Last edited: 23 Sep 2003
  2. notobe

notobe What's a Dremel?

Looking nice so far.. should be good.

3. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

drill out the rivets and remove the side panels. then paint the insides, it looks sooo sexy

4. Ade

Ade What's a Dremel?

I already got lots of ideas for the insides :)

5. TheGreatBoob

TheGreatBoob What's a Dremel?

i love watching YY mods. I really want to do one myself. Keep us posted on what you do. I'm subscribed :)

6. Ade

Ade What's a Dremel?

Thanks :) I just hope it doesn't end up in the Modding Disasters section :worried:

7. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

You dont want to know what I did when I got my very first drill a couple weeks ago, worthy of the 'Muppet of the Year Award' aye!

That aluminium around the fan idea is (c)opylefted by Nexxo and MMM, It looks VERY nice :D

Keep up the good work. If in doubt test the idea on some scrap metal before cutting the good stuff!! :thumb: :dremel:

8. Ade

Ade What's a Dremel?

Will do :)

I'm just waiting for a slightly more sociable hour before firing up the jigsaw :naughty:

9. Ade

Ade What's a Dremel?

Yes I do wanna know! Didn't drill through any body parts did you? :eek:

Okay..thanks for that then Nexxo/ MMM :thumb:

I finally managed to rip out that damn bracket at the front of the motherboard side.. for 3 foot long PCI cards or whatever it's supposed to be.. . hehe

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You're welcome! :D

[​IMG]

...that HDD mounting idea is just as clever! Simple, neat, cool! :clap:

11. penski

penski BodMod

Welcome to the forums. Nice fabrication work on that HDD bracket. :)

*n

12. Ade

Ade What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the comments :baby:

I've been doing some more work on the cube this morning.. here we go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This isn't properly together; I just wanted to see how it would look. The back panel isn't on straight because the screw heads for the fans aren't flush - I need to get some smaller ones, or chop part of the heads off. The cutout for the PSU needs finishing off too.

The gold fan guard on the PSU will be going, and yes, I know the airflow isn't gonna be so good unless I cut some fan holes :duh:

This is how it's looking inside:

[​IMG]

The PSU is a Globalwin Super silent, the 92mm fans are Vantec Stealth, the hard drive 120GB Western Digital (SATA).

Motherboard will be an Abit NF7-S with a 2500 Barton. Graphics Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro.

I'm trying to keep the setup fairly simple for now, but if this part of the project goes to plan I'll look at watercooling and RAID and whatever later on. I want this to be a system I can build on.

13. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

Looking good.
    I have a yy cube, will have to do a thread when i get some time.
    Anyway, keep it up. Do you have plans for a custom face plate?

14. TheGreatBoob

TheGreatBoob What's a Dremel?

sleeve the psu? and if you're going to change the back on the hdd side, why didn't you put the psu up top like most other cases? love the hdd mount.

keep it up!

15. Ade

Ade What's a Dremel?

I have a couple of ideas, but I'm not sure which I'm gonna go with yet. It'll definately be custom, though :)

16. Ade

Ade What's a Dremel?

I did think about putting the PSU at the top, but it would have meant quite a bit more work. I kinda like it down there now anyway.

I may have overlooked something, but I don't think heat from the PSU is gonna affect the HDDs, not with those fans on 'em. I doubt it really makes much difference where I put it.

I dunno if it makes a difference if there is a water cooling leakage though.. :eeek:

Please don't give me a stonkingly good reason why it should be at the top! :worried:

17. Ade

Ade What's a Dremel?

I'm not generally worring about the finish on anything yet. Once it's all together, then I'll decide if I'm getting bits anodised or chromed or if I'm gonna paint them etc.

18. ]KahppA[

]KahppA[ What's a Dremel?

looking good!! :thumb:

i think you should black anodize the alu, that would look great!

any plans for a window and lighting??

19. Ade

Ade What's a Dremel?

Cheers :)

I'll keep black in mind, yes.

There will be windows in both sides. Not sure yet if I'm gonna cut the original side panels or make new sides out of perspex.

Lighting will be very subtle, if I use any at all.

20. Ade

Ade What's a Dremel?

Just been looking at Gordy's Project Silicone updates for the past few days.. the handles he's gonna put on the back are pretty similar to the ones I bought from Homebase a while back.. the photo even has the same alu with green protective film on it that I've been trying out positioning on.. eheh..

I didn't steal this one! :worried:

Anyway.. . mine are gonna be 'cable protectors' not handles :eyebrow: hahaha