1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Not allowed to migrate (free) Windows 10 Pro to new built PC

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by SchizoFrog, 14 Aug 2016.

1. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Hi.

I have Windows 10 Pro. I got it from taking advantage of the 'free' upgrade by upgrading Windows 8.1 Pro (retail). I recently asked on the Microsoft forum about migrating my Windows 10 Pro licence to a new PC as I was under the impression that a retail version of 8.1 would mean I would get the entitlements of a retail version of Windows 10.

However, I have now been told that this is NOT the case as the ONLY way to install Windows 10 would be to install 8.1 first and then do the upgrade... a method which is no longer free... and so I have been told by a Microsoft Support Engineer that I have to buy Windows 10.

This also means that any 'critical' hardware change or upgrade (especially the motherboard) means you lose your 'free' version of Windows 10.

Can anyone help with this?

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Try installing Windows 10 from a disk/USB and when it asks for the product key, try inputting your 8.1 key and see what it says, it may still go through.

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Well I recently swapped my board chip and ram out which triggered the Windows activation. I just put my original 8.1 product key and it activated just fine.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Going on what Paul Thurrott said activating 10 with a previous product key was only temporary.

RE what SchizoFrog originally asked: that same article says You’ll need to do a phone activation.

5. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

Don't know if you still have your old PC with windows 10 on it, but Microsoft recently changed activation by linking your license to your microsoft account and not your specific computer - allowing for major component upgrades. You need it to be on the latest windows 10 anniversary update in order for this link to happen. See this for more info: http://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...-rules-for-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

6. SchizoFrog

Thanks for the replies people.

I will have to wait and see as I won't be building the new machine until the weekend. My current machine is fully updated to 1607 but I will also restate that it was a Microsoft Support Tech that told me it is no longer possible. Maybe they are just giving false info.

I'll keep you updated as to what happens when I install the new machine.

7. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

^ Yup, I installed Windows 10 on to my new PC just the other day. I used the Media creation tool to copy the install files onto a USB stick and installed it on the new PC. I used my old Windows 7 (retail) key (the one I upgraded to 10 for free on my old PC) and that was that, the job was a good-un and fanny was my aunt.

8. SchizoFrog

Just to be clear... You are installing directly to Windows 10 and then inputting the previous OS key?

Like I said, I'll give it a go and will report back over the weekend.

9. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Yep. Use the media creation tool to make a bootable USB installer or disk if you need it.

10. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Yes.

On the old PC, which I had already upgraded from 7 (retail) to 10 with the free upgrade, I ran the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB stick containing the installation files (must be atleast 4GB. Choose "upgrade another PC later"..."USB stick").

Then, I booted the new PC from the USB stick and installed Windows 10. When asked for my key, I entered my "old" Windows 7 key (I actually skipped it during installation and did iater). It was accepted and my new Windows 10 installation was activated.

Edit: worth noting that OEM licences aren't transferrable from one PC to another so if your old pre-10 version of Windows was OEM (not retail) then it probably wouldn't work.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2016
  11. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

The article is wrong.

12. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

what happens if you put in your old hard drive into your new rig and log in to
    your microsoft account and sync settings?

might update your rig details....worth trying

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What every word of it or only the phone activation part?
    Because he said it's based on internal Microsoft documentation.

14. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

The bit I quoted. You don't need to do a phone activation.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So you're saying that either Thurrott is lying, Microsoft are in such a mess their internal documentation is, or that you know of some other way to activate a freshly installed copy of Windows 10 using an old retail product key?

16. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I am saying that I have actually done it and it was simple. I've no idea what Thurrott is wobbling on about because I have very easily and successfully transferred my upgraded Windows 10 upgraded OS onto another PC by using my old product key without calling support. So has Pookie (see above). :thumb:

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Oh i see what's happened, you didn't read the Article or what i said prior to what you quoted, the part that says activating 10 with a previous product key was/is only temporary.

18. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Lol, OK mate. We're talking about the here & now, trying to help Schizofrog, yes? Are you saying he can't use his old key even though myself and Pookie have? Why? It doesn't make sense. If it worked for me less than a week ago then it should work for him now.

Anyway, I wonder how he got on...

Last edited: 18 Aug 2016
  19. SchizoFrog

Still waiting on a couple of parts... Hoping to get the systems built this weekend but it may just have to wait a couple more weeks. When I do try the install though I will definitely report back as I can't be the only one to face this potential issue...

20. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

It'll be fine. :thumb: