1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Focus ST MK2 advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Highland3r, 17 Jul 2016.

1. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Hey all

In the market for a new card - recent events mean I'll be left carless and single so looking at getting something enjoyable to drive...

Had my eye on the Focus ST for a while (having had a Focus before, always found them great to drive and pretty practical too) but budgetary constraints now mean it'll have to be the older MK2 rather than a MK3.

I'll be after the ST-2 at a minimum and budget currently is limited to 5-6k (although i'd push this a little if the seller took card - interest free credit Cheesecake). Won't be covering a load of miles as it'll be evening/weekend driving only due to parking costs in Leeds.

Any current/former owners have any advice on what to look for when buying?

Thanks in advance!

2. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Good cars, easily mapped to 270bhp.

Only downside is the MPG, averages mid 20s can be low teens if you have a heavy right foot.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

For that kind of budget you could find a Mk1 Focus RS. Probably see about the same fuel consumption, and they're cooler :p

Seriously though, I'd pop over to FocusSTOC.com, I'm pretty sure they had a buyers guide last time I was there.

Just a heads up, if you get looking and see one that has a lot of Mk2 RS parts on it, be a little wary. There's been a fair few stolen and broken for parts according to RSOC members, so there's no telling whether someone might come knocking on the door for half your car!

Beyond that I can't help much.

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

I'm not a fan of the looks of the older Focuses to be honest - MK2+ is ok though.

Thanks for the heads up r.e RS bits & the STOC.com.

Given the limited mileage I'll be doing, can cope with the fuel consumption

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah, the older ones aren't for everyone!

Good luck on your hunt!

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've driven the Focus ST mk2 - it was a blast, and it behaves very nicely when you don't stamp hard on the loud pedal too. I thought the Astra VXR was damned uncomfortable on anything other than a perfect road surface - probably a good laugh hooning around a track, but I'd quickly grow to hate it as a daily driver.

Can't offer much on the Megane or the Mazda 3, because I haven't driven either of them, but I'd bet the Renault will develop electrical glitches and gremlins. The Mazda 3 is basically a Focus anyway, isn't it?

8. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

The mazda looks decent - one nearish as well so that might be worth a test drive... Think the same place also has a ST....

Seem to get a decent number of toys with the VXR, but for some reason i get the "boy racer" vibe when looking at them - thanks for the putting it in the mix though, i'll do a bit more reading.

Not a fan of the megane - just can't make myself love the ass

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It's not for everyone! Had the pleasure of driving a friend's R26 and it was absolutely magnificent, the damping and the diff make it.

I know what you mean about the VXR - lots of them around here as it's probably the quickest in a straight line (a big priority in Lincs), but they do have a pretty dreadful image.

10. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I'v got a Megane R26, rear spoiler smartens up the rear and detracts from dat ass. Defiantly the fastest in that class round a track, E46 M3s struggle to keep up round the bends.
    Renault electrical problems are a bit of a myth now, the problem with the last few generations is Cambelts snapping and blowing the engines.

Vxrs tend to have terrible handling also.

Mazdas are great on paper and the older one has a forged engine as standard I think, but I'm told people get bored quickly.

11. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Got the Focus in the end - '07 ST-2 in pretty damn good condition (pretty much no scratches, rust free and drives REALLY well - great considering it's a 10 year old car...)

Handles really well and the noise from the engine still makes me smile even after a week of driving - doubt that's ever going to change!