1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Chameleon <9L ITX

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mal, 21 Aug 2016.

1. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

Good Day Bittech,

I have been reading and commenting here for some time; enjoying all the beautiful submissions from your creative minds. Finally I am able to make my own contribution.

As we all know computers are industrial machines, therefore by association their cases are industrial designs. My goal is to push back the industrial and machine aspects and bring forward more of the design elements. I lean more toward simple lines, hidden fasteners and ports, and creative venting. To me nothing softens the hard edges of an industrial design like wood. Wood has the ability to interact with multiple materials and so is comfortable in any environment. So wood will be a prominent material in all my cases.

My first full scratch case is the Chameleon, a <9L case made from a 3pc frame and hard wood shell. Plans are to house 2x 2.5" drives, ITX GPU up to 192mm, and slot load blue ray player. PSU is SFX and cooling options are amphibious based around a 140mm case fan.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

This is where I am so far. To do is countersink the holes, color the frame and shell, permanently bond the shell together, and mount the parts to verify fitment.

Enjoy,

Mal

Last edited: 17 Feb 2017
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Interesting! Looking forward to this

3. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hope I don't disappoint.

Waiting for fasteners to arrive then it is onward and upward.

Mal

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Nice idea :)

5. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

Hello again Bittech,

My first case frame was good but the fabricator wasn't. There were a ton of mis-measurements mistakes and poor communications that lead to a sour relationship so I had to look for another fabricator. While I was waiting for a new case frame, I went and permanently bonded the wood shell of Chameleon.

[​IMG]

Turns out I had plenty of time too. Long story short, I ended up going with a fifth fabricator. The results appear well worth it though. This shop had a punch machine so no warpage cutting all the holes. And they were PEMSERT capable so all the required threaded holes are correct.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I purposely did not color the case to check all the fitment before I added the finish. Needless to say I am quite pleased.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are still a couple more adjustments to make for final assembly. I am also waiting for a part quote that adds to the detailing of the case. The next update will highlight that feature.
    Until then,

Mal

6. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

Spent Saturday going all "Inspector 12" on the Chameleon. Everything fits quite well. I'll let the pics speak for themselves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wierd to describe a SFF case as spacious. It should swallow a 45mm radiator easily. Not much in the way of "available" cable management though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last pic I tried to capture the available cooler height but failed misserably. Since I'm good at measuring, let's review the math instead:
    Width of case is 175mm (internally)
    Subtract 14mm for space behind MB for OD + 2mm for MB Tray metal thickness = 159mm
    Subtract 63.5mm for Height of PSU + 1mm for distance of PSU from edge of case = 94.5mm
    Subtract 8mm for standoffs + 10mm for distance from MB to top of CPU and you get:
    76.5mm max cooler height. Plenty of room for a Thermaltake Engine. A tight squeeze for my planned Eisbaer Solo.
    So the major construction of Chameleon is done. I've reached the end of the road for my old equipment. To do now is the finishing on the shell and get new equipment for a proper build. I've had my eye on an ASUS ROG B150I Pro, an Intel I3-6100, and Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB memory. But I may wait until ZEN drops and do an all AMD build. (May do BOTH). Either way I will replace my GTX 750 with an RX 480 and Alphacool waterblock.
    Getting closer, but still a ways to go.

mal