1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics New build (old graphics) reboot loop, leaning towards HW issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rolo, 19 Aug 2016.

1. Rolo

Rolo Minimodder

New build around a month ago:

i7-6700
    RM 1000x
    32GB Corsair DDR4
    Asus maximus VIII Hero
    Crucial mx300 750gb (only hard drive ever in use since I've had it)
    560ti kept while I decide what to upgrade to
    W10 pro fresh install, not a W7 upgrade.

Worked fine for a month, had two freezes in that time where everything on screen would freeze. When it recovered it would blame a USB device but wouldn't tell me which- I have two mice, keyboard, webcam and headset all via USB and all devices would work fine after so I wasn't too fussed. It could have been an onboard audio clash with USB headset but for some reason I didn't bother checking much about it as the system was back to normal afterwards.

Weds I had a black screen, sound continued playing issue. I had the Olympics streaming and it kept going so wasn't looped sound. System rebooted and went into a reboot loop, worked fine in safe mode (version 10578 iirc, not anniversary update) but ultimately wouldn't play ball at all otherwise just continuing to reboot until giving me options. Reset wouldn't work, repair wouldn't work. Temps for everything were fine before the crash, with no artifacts and no overclocking, I'd have expected to see something if I killed the graphics card, and it has worked since (at low resolutions without drivers of course)

Formatted, worked fine. Installed network adaptor and then windows installs NVidia 10.18.13.5354 from 13th july 2015. Reboot puts me in reboot loop again. Play around with uninstalling, rebooting, downloading 372.54 from nvidia- booting without network cable plugged in and try to install but still no joy, on some occasions it didn't even let me install which made me think it may be a graphics issue.

Basically a system that was working fine for a month decided to have a fit and now won't work. I'm leaning towards either a motherboard issue or a graphics issue, but I don't really have any spares that I can swap in and out for this. I'm currently using the onboard graphics, but I'm reluctant to buy a new card if this one is fine, or the new one wouldn't work at all as the motherboard is at fault. Alternatively it could be a W10 issue, but I kind of doubt that at this point, even if it is super annoying that it just automatically installs updates thinking it's helping you when it isn't.

Any help appreciated, I've spent about 10 hours so far trying new things and looking into it while basically getting nowhere. Apologies if I've listed this incorrectly or it might need moving to a software section if it somehow is a w10 issue.

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Is it OK using on board intel graphics ?

3. Rolo

Rolo Minimodder

I realise there's now a tech support section, blaming lack of sleep. If someone could move I'd be grateful.

Yes it does seem to work fine (just sat in windows still, but at a non-potato resolution) using the onboard. It's like the graphics card works fine, introduce drivers and it refuses

4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

OK, try using DDU and a fresh install of drivers is what I'd start with just in case there's something hanging around after a normal uninstall, also try a different PCIe slot if one available and a different PCIe power cable (guess an RM1000x has plenty).

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That sounds like classic solder issues. I've had a few GPUs that work in "safe mode" but as soon as you install the drivers they bomb.

Try as advised using DDU but I fear you could be looking at an RMA. Or a temporary bake.

6. Rolo

Rolo Minimodder

Thanks for the help with this one guys, I was adamant that since it was working in other modes, the LEDs on the graphics card were indicating it was fine, and the motherboard said that all was good and pushing it to the OS to boot, that all hardware was OK.

Pretty naive, and I have a dead graphics card. It's since been replaced (after a couple of days on a 4850x2 at 82 degrees and sounding like it was going to take off) and everything is good again.

On a side note, DDU is great and I'll swear by it from now on. I may have been building for the best part of two decades, but there's still plenty to learn!