1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Taking the plunge: installing Windows 10

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete J, 12 Jul 2016.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

^^ You've been extremely helpful, thank you!

Last edited: 3 Aug 2016
  2. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Anytime! Just do either, and also save the ISO file. Until the next time Microsoft released a newer build (another major update), likewise, check the build number and go to the same places for the ISO file or media creation tool and repeat the process.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I've downloaded and burnt the ISO (I still like to use DVDs to install).

I'm really starting to dislike the simple start up screen - you can't tell if it's frozen or not, or updating...

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Whelp, freshly installed build 1607 this morning (and wrote off one of my dual BIOSes as well, but that's another story). Yet to see if there are any performance issues gaming wise, but it is a little bit different here and there. And I had to redo the Regedit thing to disable downloading promoted apps...

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Guys, my internet speed seems to be terrible most of the time on Windows 10 now. I've looked over all the standard things (i.e. typed into Google 'Windows 10 slow internet'). Any ideas?

7. Deders

Deders Modder

How are you connecting?

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have been up since 4 am installing Windows 10 getting it to see my 1080 GPU and I don't have a hair left on my head. This is a horrible horrible OS. Still lots more to sort out yet as well.

9. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Strange your having problems, usually it just finds the latest driver and installs without asking.

Guess it maybe related to 1080 being new.

Done a driver cleaner/sweeper and tried latest from nvidia webby?

10. Deders

Deders Modder

It sees my 1080 fine. Is it showing up in hardware manager?

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Eventually sorted it out by upgrading using the Upgrade Assistant. I suspect the ISO I had was a build to low as I believe you needed 1155 or above.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I was having connection timed out issues but changing the DNS protocol numbers to Googles sorted it.

Have a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZuZC2ed6X0

Last edited: 26 Aug 2016
  13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Turns out a system restart solved it.

14. Deders

Deders Modder

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ugh. Windows 10 yet again pisses me off.

I was trying to upgrade a system from the Home to the Pro version. However, during the install, no version choice came up. Luckily there's a solution: how to modify an install of Windows 10 to allow you to choose versions.

What amazed (and annoyed) me was the fact that this was after removing all storage which had been linked to the Home install - the motherboard must have something onboard which stores OS install info.

I've also had to reorder a Pro key. I had two OEM keys and when one didn't activate the Pro version (when Home was installed), I tried the other. Unfortunately that linked both keys to the same system. The only silver lining is that they were cheap OEM versions, so I've ordered another; no refunds unfortunately, and probably unfair to ask since it was technically my fault.

Still, I don't like the way that Windows 10 is more awkward to install compared to Windows 7. At least with Windows 7, you could call a number to get a 'counter code' so that you could use it on a new build.

Anyway, I keep updating this thread with my findings as I do refer back to them! I hope it's proving useful to others. Which reminds me, I need to add that registry edit to stop Windows downloading Candy Crush...

16. Deders

Deders Modder

Yeah I think it takes note of some of your combination of hardware like XP did and ties the licence to that. Once your machine is registered, it will auto activate on future installs.

17. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

100% down to messing with OEM keys rather than retail. OEM key enforcement has been lax in the past, so people got used to abusing them.
    Activation by phone is still present.

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

After the Anniversary Update trashed one of my PC's, the only one I actually upgraded rather than fresh installed. So I decided to do the fresh install of Windows 10. And after installing DoNotSpy and Classic Shell I have finally got all my PC.s in a state that I am reasonably happy with. But I still do not like Windows 10.

19. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

Anyone got any idea if ms are ever going to fix the dpi scaling issues when using a 1080p tv? The fonts are absolutely horrendous in some areas. Win 7 and 8.1 never had this issue and yes I know about 3rd party solutions but they come with their own issues.

20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

You're going t have to actually describe the problem you're having. I've yet to have an issue with Windows 10 and multiple monitors with varying DPIs, so it's probably something specific to your setup.
    Remember that you need to log out and log in again (or for single-user, restart) for the DPI setting changes to actually apply universally. And that older applications or ones that don't bother to properly implement DPI awareness (looking at you, Chrome) will never scale correctly and there is little anyone other than the developers of those applications can do about it.