1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mence

mence What's a Dremel?

There's a review by Bill Adams of overclockers.com of the LRWW (Little River White Water) waterblock, the block before the Cascade. The link is to a local copy on Cathar's (the maker of the LRWW and Cascade waterblocks) website but you can obviously also find it at overclockers.com. I am a little suprised that you chose a DD product over an Aussie product, mostly due to the fact that the AusPost prices for getting stuff to/from the USA scares the crap out of me. I'll admit that I'm biased as I own a LRWW waterblock and have learnt heaps from watercooling and enjoyed the silence that comes with it from that waterblock (and Cathar himself, mind you). However, you certainly make a valid point about the temperatures and I certainly admit that getting a solid silver waterblock can tend to ruin your budget (especially if you are a struggling student like myself). On the flip side of that, do remember that your local Australian producers do a bang-up job of making stuff! Buy AustralianTM! (cue green tag fluttering down and yellow stick figure kangaroo tag.... christ how long ago was that ad campaign!). I am looking forward to how you do your watercooling as I have had great difficulty in getting rid of the mess of tubing that lives in my pc. The closest that I believe that a lot of case modders have come (in this country at the least) to achieving as minimal watercooling tubing visible as possible was the Atomic Heavy Water project (suprising how the magazine actually has some semi-decent mods and the website is still so poor - /cue plug for OCAU!). Well, make us proud my northern cousin (who I expect is probably an awful lot warmer than us in the south are!).

Aha! Not visible! ..... /gears start ticking over in head

Cheers,
    mence.

2. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Thanks for the linky Mence.

Not being involved in the scene in Aus (or anywhere for that matter) I didn't know about these waterblocks at all. When I bought my stuff, I really wanted a chrome rad - nowhere in Aus had them so I went elsewhere (to DD, buying the rest of my stuff there as well). I had seen lots of awesome reviews on the big modding sites of DD stuff and none on the Cascade so naturally went for Danger Den. Shipping was cheap as chips as he was kind enough to post the stuff to me by USPS parcel post. :)

3. mence

mence What's a Dremel?

No worries. As Cathar is a one-man show, it's a bit harder for him to get reviews going as he (I assume) forks out for the products to send to reviewers out of his own back pocket.

I'm glad that you're happy with your choice, though. So far what you've done is stunning :) Is there a reason you didn't make the waterblocks yourself? Given the amount of power tools you've got, a quick trip to a copper manufacturer and purple pig for some of the plumbing supplies would have got you well on your way. I understand perfectly about the rad - I actually have a Black Ice Extreme in Cool Metal and thought that was the greatest colour around until I saw one of the guys on bit-tech had a 24 carat plated Black Ice Extreme! :eeek: So I guess whilst blue isn't the greatest of colours, it's certainly the cheapest :D. You have however, inspired me to stick to a strict colour scheme and I have been doing a lot of rethinking of my modding ideas. It's a good thing, really :cooldude:

Edit: Even if I do tend to drift off a bit during uni/work/life due to modding thoughts :worried:

Last edited: 15 Sep 2003
  4. thorilan

thorilan What's a Dremel?

yeah mence pretty much already posted about what i would have .

thanks mence

5. Risky

Risky Modder

On the discussion of watercooling components, I can point you to This thread (but scrool down paste the mini-res) and a rather nice quad hdd watercooling unit which might have would suited your rig rather neatly - give or take a chroming the aluminium outer case.

However I imagine you have something planned for the disks so I'll wait and see.

6. Xarthan

Xarthan What's a Dremel?

Hi, sorry I dont understand about the jackplugs.

How do those work by transfering power? I always thought they were just for Stereo audio. Didn't know they can transfer power.

7. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Jack plugs are just a physical way to make electrical connections. They can carry anything; power, audio, phone conversations, USB data etc.

Just like you could use the molex plugs from your PC to carry audio if you really wanted :p

8. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Well, since most audio is transfered in the form of electricity, and the currently used method for powering most computer stuff is electricity, it works in theroy :p

Where in Oregon, bty?

9. Xarthan

Xarthan What's a Dremel?

wow cool, is there a guide somewhere that talks about convering PSU Cables into using jack plugs?

I'm in Corvallis :wallbash:

10. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

There is - you've been reading it :D

11. Xarthan

Xarthan What's a Dremel?

oops i missed that, haha i'll read more into that, dang i still love that look with sleevnig/tubing/jacking :clap: gotta be a unique one, how did you ever come up with that idea?

12. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

G-gnome...i was thinkin bout using the VFD as well...and i was wondering what the standard color was on it? i know that you have green plexi over the VFD, was that to give it the green color ? cuz im tryin to go with a yellow look and I like the vfd idea...whats the color for it?

13. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Standard color is a light sea blue and thats why a blue filter offers the highest contrast, however I must say that g-gnomes green plexi gives a plain sexy green look...very smart and nice!

14. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

so the light sea blue is like a white with a blue tinge to it (used to work in a paint store) so i mean if u just glanced it would seem white? and yellow plexie wouldnt come out weird ? like it would look yellow and not like greenish (yellow and blue make green :))

15. NiHiLiST

Yellow and blue paint/crayons/porridge = Green paint/crayons/porridge

Light is different; you have red green and blue (hence RGB colour codes on computers).

Red + Green = Yellow
    Red + Blue = Pink/Purple
    Green + Blue = Turquoise
    Red + Green + Blue = White

In practice I expect the VFD is pretty much just the same neon yellowish green of the plexi :)

16. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

soo in short it will come out yellow if i put a yellow screen on it?

17. NiHiLiST

Yeah. The only times it won't really work is if it already has a very strongly coloured filter on.

18. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

so its recommended that i get one like G-gnomes...with a low color filter?

19. flacowboy

flacowboy What's a Dremel?

i know u ahve been busy but curious when in the next update ?

20. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

The original colour of my VFD was almost a blue-white with a hint of green. My plexi cover changes it to a much greener color.

[​IMG]

You can see the original colour in this pic in the thread where I test the VFD before the green plexi goes over it. If you put a yellow filter on the VFD it would go yellow. You'd need a fairly rich yellow though to warm up the cold greeny-blue of the display, but it would definitely go yellow. Experiment with coloured camera filters, cellophane, lighting gels, yellow plastic etc to find what shade suits you.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.