1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Is there a chance I am being monitored?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by metalglasses, 18 Sep 2016.

1. metalglasses

metalglasses What's a Dremel?

Hello, recently I had a issue with connecting to the internet. It would suddenly cut out on me and I would end up either rebooting the router, the usb wifi, or restart the pc and it wouldn't work. What happened later is what's confusing me, when I tried to connect to my network, it was asking me for the password like it was a new connection. I hesitated not knowing why this was happing, I entered the password and everything for a while seemed to work, now every now and then the network would just stop working and I would have to reconnect by unplugging the usb and click on the main network. I do have a repeater too, I don't know if that's important.

Now the network that my main pc is connecting to is called "Bell-Northern Research (Realtek RTL8192CU Wireless CA)". I listed it as a public network. I looked up RTL8192CU and it is a wireless usb that I do not recognize. My other devices and laptop says it connected to the same network, but with the name I recognize. I checked my ip location on all devices and all say the same place and correct. I really have no idea what to make of this.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Your USB wireless device probably has a realtek chip in it even though it doesn't have realtek branding.

If some party was monitoring you they would do it with as little impact so as you wouldn't notice which is clearly not the case here. It's more likely you have a faulty device or bad software.

3. metalglasses

metalglasses What's a Dremel?

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Bet the USB wireless dongle/thing is overheating causing the connection to drop. Couldn't believe how hot the one I had to get for my sisters PC was getting.