1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Portable Commuter Audio for £100

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShakeyJake, 19 Sep 2016.

1. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Hello everyone,

I'm about to get ear surgery which should hopefully mean I'm able to hear in my right ear again! Yey!

To celebrate, I'm looking at getting some sort of mp3 player and some nice headphones. I have to travel on the train pretty regularly, especially a fortnightly 3-hour each-way trip from Newcastle to London and back. For background, I'm certainly not an audio snob, but I appreciate good sound when I hear it. I'm a bass player in a band and I do like a good listen. I've got Microlab Solo 9Cs fed from the USB on my pc for my main listening at home and I've got some really nice PJB headphones that I occasionally use for music but they're meant for playing bass through really.

Anyway, how does a Fiio M3 and a pair of Sennheiser CX 5.00G sound?

I've chosen the player because it seems to be the only unit in that price range that plays everything well. The headphones I'm a but less sure on. I don't really think I want perfectly flat headphones for the train do I? I'd like a bit of warmth. Or maybe that's what the eq on the source is for. One thing I really don't want is the mic/switch thing though. Are the any headphones that don't have that? Do we like the Soundmagic E50 or E80?

Thoughts welcome!
    Jack

2. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I ended up with the Fiio X1 (2nd hand from CEX) and it sounds AMAZING!
    Contrary to the published specs, it's quite happy with a 200GB MicroSD card for storage.

4. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Any experience with the m3 Ian W? Would you take the x1 over the m3?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Sorry, only listened to my X1 (Paired with Bose QC25s).