1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Over the last two years I haven't had a stable main system due to AMD 290 GPU's that lose display when on powersaving clocks. Absolutely infuriating and really really difficult to test for hence returning them has been a pita.

Just RMA my second card (first returned for same issue).

It's Asus so will prob get a potato with a fan wedged in it back.

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Had a friend that thought exactly that until I made him sit through Metropolis. He couldn't believe that they did all that in the 20s

3. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Just had my first MOT with doctors due to mild chest pains, I've gotten away with fairly good health most my life, ah well, results pending

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

surely each to there own. I admit my game tastes are pretty limited preferring shooters of action/adventure, but I have played and enjoyed the odd indie game usually purchased during games sales but I would say 8 out of 10 i have not liked but I have come across the occasional gem. The Talos principle, Max: Curse of the Brotherhood, A Story About My Uncle, Forward to the sky, to name a few.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Yeah. I mean surely you like those games as well. You have them in common. There's no point dismissing the guy because he's opinionated on old or indie games you like. If we did that sort of thing no one would have any friends. You'll never meet a duplicate of yourself.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Agree with theshadow here - no one is perfect and no one will have exactly the same tastes and opinions as you. Dismissing someone that you appear to get on well with and share common interests with as "two-dimensional" because he opines that old games are rubbish is a bit extreme. If you're going to discard people who don't measure up to an exacting standard of "compatibility" then you're going to be pretty lonely.

That's not meant to come across nastily, by the way. Tolerance makes the world go round, after all :)

7. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Gearbox went bang today, laptop has Ubuntu on and I'm having major issues with the grub bootloader trying revert it to Windows, Virgin want £150 for two months service when it should be £30 a month so have no Internet... So all in all I can't really do my Web development stuff in my books because no Internet as they always reference things online.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

8. theshadow2001

Are you trying to remove Ubuntu or are your trying to get windows up on GRUB?

9. Weekly_Estimate

Remove Ubuntu and just have it boot windows, but everything I've tried ends up with me having to boot windows from the USB i used to install Windows

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Carbon bars on the bike, have started splitting on the cable routing exit, my own fault for running short cables, bang goes £140 :(

11. theshadow2001

I take it you've tried a straight up windows repair, with the install media.

12. Weekly_Estimate

Tried windows repair, removed both partitions and put it back to one big drive, formated, reinstalled windows completely, done lots of unsuccessful command line things to remove the grub bootloader and reset it to Windows boot loader...

13. theshadow2001

Oh okay, if you are fine with a reinstall, boot into the Ubuntu live USB/DVD you made, (boot into it and select the "Try Ubuntu" option) and use the gparted program to delete all of the partitions on the disk, create a single partition and format it as NTFS. Its all pretty straight forward and on a GUI. Then reinstall windows.

You should see the partition that is holding grub when in the gparted program. Just make sure that you have the correct disk selected, by clicking on the gparted menu, then devices. The devices are listed as sda, sdb, etc. The easiest way to know your on the right one is by the actual size of the disk. Make sure to unplug any data drives or other secondary drives when you do this. That way gparted will only have the USB drive used to boot into linux and the actual hard disk itself.

14. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

Or use the windows install USB and diskpart to blitz the disk. Do repair, open a command windows, then:

Diskpart
    list disk (find the number of the HD, let's call it X)
    sel disk X
    clean

Then do the install. If you want to create a partition at the same time:
    create par pri
    format quick fs=ntfs label=whatever
    assign [gives a drive letter]

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Again, not really "ruining" but annoying: the car has its second flat tyre in two months, and is struggling to start of a morning. This is why I didn't want to buy a car, y'know. They're bloody money pits.

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Urgh, rubbish. It's those sort of little things that irk me more than actual real problems, for some reason. Some massive health issue is just one of those things you get on with, but a puncture in a new-ish tyre, aaaaaaarrrrrgh!

I've somehow managed to pick up just one puncture in 15 years of motoring... he says before discovering 8 flats tomorrow.

17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yep. So are houses. And computers. And children.

18. obaidbd

obaidbd Minimodder

my current job !

I would quite now without any hesitation, if I don't have wife and kid.

I feel my life completly ruined right now, sometime wish just sit in corner and cry.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And I now have all four. And no money. <sobs>

20. jrduquemin

jrduquemin Minimodder

Why were you running them so short in the first place?