1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage External Hard Drive Failure?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dramatik, 13 Sep 2016.

1. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Hi guys, simple question. Has anyone had any experience with Toshiba Canvio Basics 3.0 external hard drives? I've got a 6 year old Seagate 1tb which has been trickling along really well.

Bought a Canvio Basics 2tb last year. Click of death began after 9 months. Amazon gave me a replacement, click of death began after 2 months, got another replacement. Whilst transferring files to it today, I believe the partition map got corrupted, volume was changed to "RAW" and I had to use EaseUS Data recovery to get the files back.

20% of the files are corrupted but luckily, the drive holds nothing of major importance. So I'll be getting a refund but just wanted to know a brand that's more reputable. Three drives (two replacements) that all click within a year means I'd like to avoid Toshiba at all costs.

Any recommendations for 2tb or 1tb (in which case I'd buy two)

2. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

I bought a completely new external HD and it did the exact same thing lol. Figured it had to be my PC that was the root cause of the issue.

I managed to find out what the problem was. The USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard don't seem to be powering devices properly that require more than 500 mAh. Using a USB y split cable, to draw power from two ports didn't work either.

Bought a USB 3.0 powered hub from Amazon (£20) and the issue has gone. After working non stop for 3 days without issue, decided to test my USB port one more time and within 2 minutes, the hard drive began to struggle. Needless to say, my USB ports suck and thank god for powered USB hubs