1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress DREADNOUGHT, EVERY MAN REMEMBERED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Banner, 13 Jun 2016.

1. Banner

Banner What's a Dremel?

Thank you for the interest in the build I will be unlocking the cupboard and getting the other parts on show soon. Also making a start on the holders for the four gauges, two placed lower front and the rear two mid mount, showing water temperature and pressure.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2016
  2. Banner

Banner What's a Dremel?

Sshhh…quiet

[​IMG]

http://www.everymanremembered.org/

Sshhh…quiet.

The nice thing about being part of the Dreadnought build is working with many of the companies involved who I can say I’ve had the pleasure of speaking to during phone conversations.

Somebody you’ll be familiar with is John at Quiet PC. When John heard about Dreadnought he was only too keen to come on board the project and has been fantastic to work with, supplying a power supply perfect for the job it's needed for.

But John being John, and always wanting to go that extra step to help out spoke to Nanoxia on our behalf as Quiet PC are the UK importer for Nanoxia, who have supplied aluminium cable clips for the one-off cables that are being made.

So a big thanks to John and Nanoxia. www.quietpc.com/ :eeek:

[​IMG]
    Designed for gamers and overclockers. Psu 1000W. Model PT-1000FM 80 PLUS Platinum.

[​IMG]
    Size 180 x 150 x 86. Quiet 135mm fluid dynamic bearing (FDB) fan.

[​IMG]
    PSU-AURUM PT Series has 80+ Platinum certification and features industrial-grade Japanese capacitors and a fully modular cabling system. you can find the full spec on this link
    https://www.quietpc.com/fsp-au-pt-1000fm

[​IMG]
    Fitment lower left case

[​IMG]
    Nanoxia CoolForce Aluminum Cable Clip Organizer for 24 Single Strands Sleeved Cables

http://nanoxia-world.com/en/products/coolforce/cableclips/338/cf-kabelclip-cc-24

You can also find Dreadnought on

twitter.com/dreadnoughtpc
    www.facebook.com/Dreadnoughteveryman/

Last edited: 3 Jul 2017
  3. Banner

Banner What's a Dremel?

The Brits are coming

DREADNOUGHT EVERY MAN REMEMBERED

The Brits are coming

When Dreadnought was first designed in CAD, it was very much to look unusual and gain attention. And since I only had dimensions of components from the internet at first, it was also an estimation as to how well the components would fit in place, hence fitting everything into the mock up case first.

The 12mm Alphacool hardline pipe fittings are a good size for this build, but 12mm copper pipe is not a common size in the UK, nor are 12mm copper fittings in the style I wanted. I did find 12mm fittings on a popular auction site but the bends were a very sharp angle :wallbash:
    I wanted to get more of what they call in the trade a slow bend and wanting to use a British product of a high quality.

So in the search for this pipe, I came across Margaret at Yorkshire Copper. The problem was that 12mm is an export product only and I would also need a trade account with them.:jawdrop:

However, Yorkshire Copper cut through all of the red tape, despatching a 5.3m length of 12mm Medical grade copper pipe, on their next delivery to the North East. http://yorkshirecopper.com/

So a big thank you to Margaret and all at Yorkshire Copper.

I turned to Peglar Yorkshire. After looking through their brochure, once again I did not have the required trade account. But after speaking to a chap called Graham, a box with every fitting I might use on the project, along with scouring pads, the correct solder and flocks arrived. A very big thank you to Graham and all at Peglar Yorkshire. http://www.pegleryorkshire.co.uk/

And much appreciation also to Nancy at TNG Pipe Clips for the delivery of Munson rings that I will be using for the 54mm pipe fittings to make the gauge holders. http://www.tnjpipeclips.com/ :D

[​IMG]
    The radiators and fans have fitted in as predicted

[​IMG]
    PSU Lined up so I can see what room I have for cables and more importantly hiding them

[​IMG]
    12mm Medical grade Yorkshire copper pipe cut to different lengths with Peglar Yorkshire T and 90 slow bends

[​IMG]
    The height estimation of the pumps has lined up well.

[​IMG]

4. Quantum-192

Quantum-192 What's a Dremel?

Coming along well Mike and I'm looking forward to seeing how you rig the gauges up as I would love to have done something like that with Evie but ended up moving away from the idea due to space limitations inside the case.

I see you will be going down the soldered fittings route for your bends but if you ever need a pipe bender I bought a Professional Swagelok bender for Evie that is specific to 12mm copper pipe. Madness really as it cost me £180 but it stopped all the rippling on the inside bends.....I was using 12mm half hard coiled brass pipe rather though.

It's yours to use if you need it. Just PM me and I'll drop it round to you.

ATB

Steve

5. GeneralFun

GeneralFun Lurker with tools

I'll be watching this! Massive build. Nice to see all the sponsors getting on board for the cause! A daunting task to take on.... good luck!

6. Banner

Banner What's a Dremel?

memo to myself at the start

[​IMG]

Memo to myself at the start

Two mounts to be made to hold gauges, two gauges per mount showing water temperature and pressure.

So it's time to start on the parts. Little did I know that it would be the start of some small and not so small problems and what would be the start of a new path on how to solve them.

The gauges had to say something in their own way and special to the project, so for the gauges I've turned to the best in the world with a history second to none who I will be introducing soon. :D

The gauges are 52mm in diameter and won't fit into 54mm pipe as the wall thicknesses give you no room, so that was out the window. Also normal car sender units are not small and to mount two water and two pressure would take up a lot of room.

So the hunt was on for the best small pressure and temperature transmitters and I found them with another fab company whose transmitters can be found on everything from world speed record breaking cars right through to the medical equipment that saves lives. :thumb:

Pegler Yorkshire had the 54mm Endex Straight couplings that fit over 54mm pipe and with them being end fed there's no solder ring in sight, and they would mount up to the Munson rings well. and give the room needed. The copper x copper fittings come in sizes right down to 8mm. I will also be using 12mm T and 90 degrees slow bends along with the pipe from Yorkshire Copper.

The upper image shows the parts before I put my grubby hands on them and give them a good toasting.

[​IMG]
    Brass tube and threaded rod hold the 54mm Munson rings together with may I say brass Nuts.

[​IMG]
    7mm Brass tube 5mm threaded rod cut to length

[​IMG]
    All the Munson rings that Nancy at TNG Pipe Clips sent had a good polished finish on them better than I've seen on many so will just need cleaned up after soldering.

[​IMG]
    54mm Endex Straight couplings

[​IMG]

Toasting time !
    [​IMG]
    Now I'm no plumber but followed the instruction and hey presto as they say job done. I have dropped them a few times when I started to polish them but I'm must say the solder sticks like rocking horse's xxxx :nono: no I cant say it I've already said the N word

7. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

I like this a lot - particularly the number of unusual component suppliers you have getting on board!

8. Banner

Banner What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    .Smith involvement in the Help for Heroes mini http://www.smiths-instruments.co.uk/blog/supporting-mini-for-heroes-with-smiths-gauges

Smiths… Smiths I hear you say? Yes Smiths or should I say CAI.

Well I have the gauge holders made up but needed something special that would stand out and make a statement.

So why Smiths? Two reasons both B. reason A they are the Best with a capital B. and reason B a heritage that is fascinating

My love of Smiths goes back many years. Far before car instrument panels turned into cheaply made plastic blobs. A time when if one gauge failed you replaced that one over the counter from a local auto store at a small cost. Not replace the whole lot at a ridiculous price from the dealers.

The first vehicle I drove, a Land Rover Airdrop. It's the light weight version of the 90 Defender that has a habit of being dropped out of airplanes. :jawdrop: Gauges… yes Smiths.

1985, I drove a Lotus S3. I know back then they were the price of a two bedroom flat but it was not just fast for its time. More importantly, it handled well. The driver’s pinnacle in the S3 gives you all the performance info in gauge format… a total of six to feast your eyes on. Yes all Smiths. Even though cars came and went over the years I could not part with the Lotus. I owned it until 2011 and in all that time I never had a gauge failure. :thumb:

That's it, no more reminiscing over Bond films, before speed cameras became the reality and a two bedroom flat went up in value. As for the S3 :duh: let’s talk about the sensors. It's not just a job of sticking a sensor on a gauge and hey presto. For the best results the gauge has to be set up and calibrated to the sender unit, also known as a transducer.

So a phone call to South Wales as that's where Caerbont Automotive Instruments (CAI) is based. After a helpful chat with Gavin who happens to be the managing director I've been invited to work with their development department on the design of two custom face plates that will be made for the four gauges, one design the for temperatures and one for pressure.

CAI is the oldest established automotive gauge maker in the world, and the UK's largest independent. They supply such prestige marques as Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Lotus and Noble. CAI was formerly the SMITHS Instrument Company. http://www.caigauge.com/

[​IMG]
    1903 Smiths speedometer showing 60 MPH max.

The Smiths company was founded by Samuel Smith in London in 1851. In 1904 his son ran development of speedometers. Fitting one to King Edward VII’s car, the speedometer was the result of a royal request: “why can’t you make an instrument to show the speed I am travelling, as well as the distance?” Many Royal Warrants followed. http://www.caigauge.com/blog/the-history-of-the-speedometer

[​IMG]
    1914 Armoured Rolls Royce Silver Ghost with Vickers Machine Gun

This British armoured car developed in 1914 and used in World War I and in the early part of World War II. Rolls-Royce, in the war served on several fronts of the Middle Eastern theatre. The vehicle was modernized in 1920 and in 1924, resulting in the Rolls-Royce 1920 Pattern and Rolls-Royce 1924 Pattern. In 1940, 34 vehicles which served in Egypt with the 11th Hussars regiment had the “old” turret replaced with an open-topped unit carrying a Boys anti-tank rifle, .303-inch Bren machine gun and smoke-grenade launchers.

Now where was I... ooh yes the gauge holders going through the start of polishing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From 4 large to 2 small Impress Sensors

Car sender units are not small in size as they don't need to be. But two pressure and two temperature that would take up a lot of room and it would also be helpful for them to be G14 thread fittings. I spoke to Luke at Impress Sensors who sent some great info over and some advice on what he would recommend from their auto sport division.

So now it's down to one sensor taking temperatures and pressure, that's two sender units but the size difference that's vast. So the sender units will be going down to CAI. Luke also offered an air temp sensor that would send readings to the fan controller. Or if you wish to have infra-red sensors, or many ways of monitoring, check out their links below.

[​IMG]
    The average car water pressure and temperature sender units. also the AS motor sport sender.

Impress Sensor http://www.impress-sensors.co.uk/ Kasensors http://www.kasensors.com/en

Last edited: 8 Jul 2017
  9. ADmodz

ADmodz Go hard or Go home

Outstanding craftsmanship

10. Sharangir

Sharangir What's a Dremel?

I love battleships!
    Your work and project are amazing!

11. Banner

Banner What's a Dremel?

The Homecoming

[​IMG]

The Homecoming

11/11/16 Remembrance Day. As the custodians of Remembrance, The Royal British Legion calls on the nation to unite in commemorating Remembrance on 13 November 2016.

Remembrance Sunday, which is a day for the nation to remember and honour those who have sacrificed themselves to secure and protect our freedom. A day when we get to honour the veterans from all conflicts and the reason for the Dreadnought project.

If you ask a teenager about a Dreadnought he would probably tell you it's a Space Marine in the Warhammer game series, or a PC game; war ship games have become very popular, sending bangs and sounds around the house that may upset others and could result in you getting a thick ear! But the true story of the Dreadnoughts is in the cost to lives they played in the Great War.

At Jutland the British fleet used flag semaphore to communicate; now ships use mega-powerful computers. So Dreadnought was to be built with the hope of informing a younger generation. All the partnering companies were in place. But the most important email I sent was still being considered. Weeks passed, and so did hope. Then it arrived the email I sent had gone through several meetings and had been approved, Dreadnought would be allowed to wear the poppy and Every Man wording. I also received a very nice phone call from Tom Robin head of the RBL Every Man Remembered campaign to wish us all the best with the project http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/

[​IMG]
    . The home coming digital art by TolyanMy

Dreadnought i.e. fear nothing but God

On 31 May 1916 the largest naval battle of the First World War took place off the coast of Jutland (Skagerrak) in Denmark. The two fleets, totalling 100,000 men and 250 ships between them, directly engaged twice. By full darkness at 10:00 p.m., British losses amounted to over 6,000 men and German losses to over 2,500. Often when we think of the poppy we think of the trenches but a lot of lives were lost at sea also.

The Grand Fleet had a total of 32 Dreadnought and Super-Dreadnought battleships available to use at the time of Jutland. Of these, 28 took part, organized into four Battle Squadrons. That formed the main body of the Fleet.

Commanders and leaders (British) Sir John Jellicoe, Sir David Beatty. (German) Reinhard Scheer, Franz Hipper.

There were two major phases of the battle. At 2:20 p.m, Beatty, leading a British battle cruiser squadron, spotted Hipper’s warships. As each squadron manoeuvred south to better its position 3:48 that afternoon. The initial phase of the gun battle commenced a running artillery duel at fifteen thousand yards. A quarter of an hour later, the British battle cruiser Indefatigable sank. Only two of the crew of 1,019 survived. Just 25 minutes later, another battlecruiser, HMS Queen Mary, was blown out of the water by shellfire and a further 1,266 British sailors were dead.

The first stage lasted 55 minutes; Beatty lost three battle cruisers commenting that “there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today,” At 4:43 p.m., Hipper’s squadron was joined by the remainder of the German fleet, commanded by Scheer. Beatty after this initial encounter turned north and lured the German fleet onto the Grand Fleet.

The second phase of the battle started at 7:15 p.m., when Admiral John Jellicoe brought his ships including the dreadnoughts into a single battle line (Called crossing the T) by executing a 90-degree wheel to port. Gaining the advantage of the fading light And forming an invincible wall of firepower before unleashing total hell on advancing German sailors who suffered that same fate as many British sailors.

Heroes emerged.

Royal Marine officer Major Francis Harvey had both legs blown off when a gun turret on HMS Lion, the flagship of the battlecruiser fleet, took a direct hit, but managed to crawl to a voice pipe and order the powder magazines to be flooded and sealed off before the fire could get to them. He saved the ship, but lost his own life.

An officer on anther ship reported a line of casualties, the feet of every one of them shorn off at the ankles by a shell, sitting calmly smoking cigarettes with the bloody stumps of their legs tourniqueted out in front. An hour later, they were dead from shock.

[​IMG]

At his gun post 16 year old Jack Cornwell commonly known as Boy Cornwell, just three weeks prior had bid his family farewell at Keyham Naval Barracks, Devonport; where he hastily graduated from boy recruit to gunnery ‘sight setter’ aboard the HMS Chester. He would be killed—cut down by mortar debris during the battle

[​IMG]

John Travers Cornwell VC (8 January 1900 – 2 June 1916) posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross, the highest award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces. Cornwell is the third-youngest recipient of the VC.

Ships built on Tyneside - including HMS Spitfire, HMS Birmingham and HMS Invincible - fought in the conflict and many ships from the battle returned to Tyne shipyards for the removal of the dead and wounded sailors and the repair of damaged Royal Navy vessels.

“Injured seamen were placed in hospitals around the area and local people rallied to support them. Car owners brought their vehicles to act as ambulances and an appeal was made for walking sticks, books and games.”

[​IMG]

Badly burned survivors of the clash at Jutland 31 May 1916. being unloaded at Tyne dock

Dreadnoughts carried the heaviest guns and the thickest armour. Though well protected from gunfire, their size and relatively low speed made them vulnerable to attack by torpedoes from smaller ships. At Jutland, the Royal Navy deployed 28 battleships, all of which survived the battle.

[​IMG]

This is the British dreadnought HMS Iron Duke, which was the flagship of Admiral Sir John Jellicoe. As commander of the Grand Fleet, Jellicoe was in overall command of British ships during the battle. From the bridge of this ship, Jellicoe made critical tactical decisions. During the battle, Iron Duke fired on German battleships including SMS König, scoring several hits and inflicting serious damage.

Fisher next desired to support this class of Dreadnought with a new type of cruiser that sacrificed armour for speed. Dubbed battlecruisers. The lead ship of her class of three, and the first battlecruiser to be built by any country in the world was HMS Invincible

[​IMG]

HMS Invincible a battlecruiser of the British Royal Navy, carried eight BL 12-inch (304.8 mm) Mk X guns in four twin turrets. Speed 25.5 knots. The first of this new class, she was laid down in April 1906. It was Fisher's vision that battlecruisers would conduct reconnaissance, support the battle fleet, protect commerce, and pursue a defeated enemy. She was significantly larger than her armoured cruiser predecessors of the Minotaur class. She had an overall length of 567 ft (173 m), The ship was built at Sir W. G. Armstrong, Whitworth & Co., Ltd on the River Tyne.

[​IMG]

HMS Queen Mary was the last battlecruiser built by the Royal Navy before World War I. The sole member of her class, Queen Mary shared many features with the Lion-class battlecruisers, including her eight 13.5-inch (343 mm) guns. She was completed in 1913 Ordered as part of the 1910–11 Naval Program along with four King George V-class battleships, HMS Queen Mary was built on the River Tyne.

She was hit twice by the German battlecruiser Derfflinger during the early part of the battle and her magazines exploded shortly afterwards, sinking the ship.

At the stern on HMS ships of that time is the emergency steering position known as the tiller flat. This is a steel, coffin-shaped room at the bottom of the ship where about 15 sailors and an officer would be locked inside during battle. The officer would carry a revolver to prevent anyone opening the bulkhead door of the coffin, unless the captain had giving the order to abandon ship. If the bridge took a direct hit and the helm was knocked out, the men in the tiller flat would manually turn huge wooden wheels attached to the rudder to steer the ship.

[​IMG]

This one is HMS Caroline's coffin the only surviving ship from Jutland.

http://www.nmrn.org.uk/Caroline-photo-gallery

British Sir John Jellicoe, Sir David Beatty. 6,094 killed 674 wounded 177 captured.

Total: 151 combat ships. 28 battleships 9 battlecruisers 8 armoured cruisers 26 light cruisers 78 destroyers 1 minelayer 1seaplane carrier. Ships lost total 14. 3 battlecruisers 3 armoured cruisers 8 destroyers (113,300 tons sunk).

Germany. Reinhard Scheer, Franz Hipper. 2,551 killed 507 wounded.

Total: 99 combat ships 16 battleships 5 battlecruisers 6 pre-dreadnoughts 11 light cruisers 61 torpedo-boats. Total Ships lost 11. 1 battlecruiser 1 pre-dreadnought 4 light cruisers 5 torpedo-boats (62,300 tons sunk).

For those interested you can find more images on the Tyne & Wear link below: thanks to Tyne photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/sets/72157666402304904

On May 31st 2016. British and German warships laid wreaths at the site of the Battle of Jutland in the North Sea in respect of the dead from both sides.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2017
  12. Banner

Banner What's a Dremel?

The Bay meeting

[​IMG]
    www.britishlegion.org.uk/

The Bay meeting

I got most of the components lined up in the first mock-up case, it had been invaluable in giving an insight into small alterations that would help to finalise the design of the finished case. However due to the total weight of parts to be fitted it was coming to its end of use.

I had spotted a few things I would’ve liked to change. Taking into account using a thicker material meant I could move the radiators 10mm over to the left, resulting in having a wider dedicated channel for running all the cabling up, and allowing more room for placement of the fan splitter PCB boards and sensors. In addition, it would allow more air to flow up into the top part of the motherboard compartment also allowing the back of the motherboard to be completely free of cabling also separating off the GPUs from that compartment. The small changes made to the design also allows me to rethink rerouting some of the copper piping on the back of the computer, mainly just for aesthetics.

I already had a meeting planned with Bay Plastics (who I’ve introduced previously with their involvement in The Somme post) when these alterations came to mind, so I turned up at their offices where I met with Michael from IT and a representative from their CAD Department and Engineering Department.

I wanted the final case to look very bulky and solid so it would be made out of 10mm black Perspex. So that I could experiment with moving the radiators across and rerouting some copper pipe plumbing on the back of the computer before we went to full case, Bay were kind enough to put together this prototype blank made out of 10mm white foamed PVC panels which is a soft material making it easy to work with and being white makes it really easy for marking up changes. :dremel:

[​IMG]

So I’ll be marking up some of these changes on the case then moving on with fitting components and making a listing of other parts needed to move the build on.

Bay are known for much of their work with television studios, the Olympics, and also with some fantastic projects but the one that stands out for me is Every Man Remembered

[​IMG]

The world-renowned piece of art by Mark Humphrey is based on the ‘Unknown Soldier’ and stands on a block of limestone from the Somme area of France.

To protect and bring life to the sculpture Bay Plastics encased it in a 23 feet high sarcophagus lit up among thousands of poppies that float in the air. The statue is part of a 4-year campaign aimed at honouring every one of the 1,117,077 Commonwealth servicemen and women who lost their lives in the First World War.

Bay Plastics really are a professional company, whilst remaining down to earth guys, all the way up to the Managing Director who slept on the turf at Newcastle United Football Club to highlight homelessness. :thumb:

So if you're into CNC or laser bed cutters or want to know more about plastics, and about a fab company take a look at the video on the link it's well worth watching. www.bayplastics.co.uk

Last edited: 2 Jul 2017
  13. Banner

Banner What's a Dremel?

GREAT NEWS FROM MSI

[​IMG]

GREAT NEWS FROM MSI

After discussion with Tom from MSI, they have decided to replace the two 980ti’s that I was originally going to use in the build with their top of the range 1080 cards. The X99 carbon motherboard that they supplied is really a beautiful looking board and I will be doing more of a feature on the cards and the board at a later date. :D https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X99A-GODLIKE-GAMING-CARBON.html#hero-overview

Well with a nicely sharpened pencil, steel rule, T-square, compass, and some spare time, I got the case marked up. The beauty of the blank is that being white, it’s very easy to see pencil marks on, but reflecting a lot of white it can be difficult to photograph. The blank is a very lightweight, soft material (which makes it ideal for working with) but would not be suitable for a permanent case, but ideal for this part of the project. The blank allows me to fit everything into place and make any final adjustments before transferring them to the CAD before Bay Plastics starts production of the full, finished case.

[​IMG]

As I will be using fan shrouds, the search is on for longer screws to mount the fans to the radiators. I’ll be using Alphacool GPU coolers and ordering up some of the smaller fittings needed.

[​IMG]

Back of the case Top Alphacool Monst 360mm radiator with two 120mm radiators to the right.

Moving the 360 radiator up by 20mm has allowed me to redesign the route of the plumbing which will now go just below the radiator, totally isolating that part from the motherboard compartment. The only pipework going in to the compartment will be the in-take and out-take for the CPU water block.

[​IMG]

Evercool 120 fans in push pull configuration with template for motherboard tray. Lower left FSP Aurum PT-1000 1000W PSU.

So the next step will be working out the position of the two 140mm Alphacool radiators which will be housed in the plinth the PC sits on along with the 140mm Gelid fans also make up the motherboard tray. :dremel:

Last edited: 2 Jul 2017
  14. babydragon_64

babydragon_64 What's a Dremel?

I've loved reading all this history... my great grandad served in the navy and World of Warships is one of my favourite games. Fantastic.

15. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor