1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases HTPC Case and CPU Cooler for High Performance Rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neocleous, 18 Oct 2016.

1. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

Hi everyone,

I'm moving and I need to rebuild my rig into a a HTPC case but it has to be able to house an ATX motherboard and a graphics card that is 1080 sized. I only have 1 2.5" SSD so loads of hard drive storage space isn't needed.

I have a socket 2011-3 CPU with a Be Quite Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler but I doubt that will fit in anything so that will need replacing too! I think an all in one liquid cooler could work well but I'm not sure if these are suitable in a HTPC.

I have looked at the Silverstone GD07 case but I am open to any recommendations.

Budget wise up to £200 all in would be good but getting the right thing is more important.

Thanks

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Fractal Design Node 605 with the HDD cages removed ?

3. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

I like the look of that case. I'm not sure what to do about cooling, are the all in one water coolers a bad idea in those kinds of cases? Any air cooler recommendations that are no taller than 120mm?

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I don't think you can fit any AIO there. On air cooling front you got lots of options though - cooler clearance is 125mm. That means Noctua NH-L12, NH-C14S (with only the bottom fan spot used) or Thermalright AXP-100, AXP-200 will fit without issues. Or even Noctua NH-U9S if you want tower cooler.

5. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

I just want the quietest best performing cooler really my Be Quite is just that very quite. So i@ll look at some review on those. Thanks

6. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

7. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

It needs to be a desktop style case rather than a tower to fit in the TV cabinet.

I think the PC is going to run hot in a HTPC case but as long as everything works I'm sure it will be fine

8. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

You can use the G3 on its side. It's shown in the review. Are there size constraints you need to work with?