1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware PlayStation VR Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 20 Oct 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

This review is missing the basics. Are the visuals generated by a base PS4 good enough? How is the display quality? How is the controller tracking compared to the vive / oculus touch? How is the head tracking?

The review screams out 'Buy this!' without any indication as to why, other than the headset is comfortable.

I thought this would all be on pages 2 and 3...

3. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Sorry, Jakes too busy playing with his new toy to reply .... lol

4. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Heh, I wish. So many other games to review this month means I've barely gone back to it after a pretty intense first few days.

I didn't have a single problem with using a base PS4.

Happy to answer any questions, I just had a specific word limit I had to hit (because it's october and budgets are stretched and I'm a freelancer.)

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Thanks Jake. I've heard that the head & controller tracking is 'okay' but not a patch on the top tier PC based systems - it would be good to read a comprehensive comparison.

I'd also like to know more on why Sony are bringing out the pro and the benefits it will actually bring to existing / future titles. But I guess this is speculation at this time.

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

..and in other news today apparently Nintendo have announced another gimmick laden underpowered console.

Zzzz...Zzzz

7. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

The Pro, as I see it, is solely a 4k thing. Haven't noticed a single diff to the VR. VR is totally fine as is, I've heard a lot about tracking, and I suspect this is because the tracking via camera struggles under bright lights and with mirrors. A lot of studios and offices and places where this was tested are very brightly lit. in my house I haven't noticed any issue, not even the drift everyone else seems to mention.

As it stands, right now, the PSVR works fine with whatever I threw at it, and the only real issues I had was with RIGS which made me sick as a dog. (Reviewed elsewhere, but won't link the review here.)

8. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Does it work with COD or other such titles?

9. Kalcifer

Kalcifer If you want change, start with yourself.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

with no small amount of reader reception theory....

11. Kalcifer

Kalcifer If you want change, start with yourself.

touché

edit "touche"

:)

12. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Not sure on the choice supportive bias here, solely because i haven't recommended buying the PSVR over any other headset, it's just a very nice bit of kit.

It's much more comfortable and better put together then any of the other headsets i've used, though. That's just solid opinion.

13. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

This is primarily why it won't gather enough traction to be more than a passing trend. The next barrier is the high price.

14. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Can this be used with a PC though, just for immersion, rather than "real" VR?

15. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I've got one, enjoying it a lot in small bursts.

16. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

I've heard (but not tested) rumours that this can be used with anything that uses HDMI, because of the passthrough box. You won't get headtracking or any VR features, you'll just have the screen in front of you as it'd appear on a screen.

17. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

why buy it when most of the VR games are railway shooters and mostly passive experiences ? Does it support blockbuster games ? Do the blockbuster games support it (not partially) ? that is the real question. The next question is where it stands in terms of graphics, resolution and headache issues. As it stands now (maybe I'm misinformed about that though) I feel like the whole VR industry is a damn gimmick, impressive but still an expensive *i might say* gimmick.

these are the main questions/concerns coming from a casual pc gamer looking always for new experiences in gaming.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You can use it officially for 'Cinema Mode' with any HDMI device, including a PC, and unofficially for full-screen side-by-side stereo 3D, which works in games (see this comment for hands-on experience).

Tags: Add Tags