1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Have I blown my motherboard?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by wormy, 23 Oct 2016.

1. wormy

wormy Minimodder

Hello all

This is as much a question to confirm my fear as to ask for any alternative suggestions.

Build is an i7 920 on an Asus P6tse mobo, BeQuiet 900w modular psu (op I know but a warranty replacement), Gigabyte GTX 970, 3x4gb rip jaws, optical drive, an ssd and spinner HD in an Antec 300.

The machine froze (I stupidly switched some audio plugs, which always has that result) and decided to turn it off by holding down the case power switch (not the first time I've done this).

It turned off but now won't restart either using the case switch or the mobo integrated power switch.

However, everything attached (including the Corsair H50, the fan speed of which continues to slow to normal after its original max speed burst) appears to power up when I paper clip the psu. I've done all the same with RAM in/removed and no difference.

I've tried to discharge any static using the power lead/power button route.

My fear is that I've damaged the mobo and will need to replace it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Have you tried resetting the CMOS/bios?

3. wormy

wormy Minimodder

Not yet, no. I can give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion. What's your thinking behind why that might be a problem? (am asking so I can learn more)

4. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

It could be your motherboard but it could be something else.
    Try not to get tunnel visioned. It's best to start by ruling out the simple stuff first.

5. wormy

wormy Minimodder

come here and i'll kiss you (intended as a promise, not a threat). Slipped out the CMOS battery, popped it back in 10 seconds later and i seem to be back in business.

Thank you very much :)

6. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Great stuff, you're welcome.

P.S. No tongues. :hip:

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

This is exactly what I was going to suggest as it has worked for me in the past with monumentally failed benching/overclocking. I normally leave the battery out for a few mins but if 10 seconds did the trick then that's even better. :thumb:

8. wormy

wormy Minimodder

I did have it on a stable overclock (3.8) and it's back on that now with no apparent problems but yeah, it seems like it must have been connected to it.

One man's 10 seconds is another man's all night...