1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZapWizard's LAN PC -Custom Ammo PC -Completed Jan 18 '04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZapWizard, 3 Jul 2003.

1. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Re: Some ideas

Welcome to the forums.
    That has been suggested a few times.
    I will be adding a light throbbing circuit later, so mabye I can make some sound go with it also.
    I would use a speaker.
    It also depends on space.
    The only space left inside the case is about 1/4"x4" underneath the motherboard. Just enough for some light control circuits.

------------
    I won't stop pimping till the end of the month.
    Vote on the 25th www.techtv.com/screensavers

2. GUIGUI

GUIGUI What's a Dremel?

Re: Re: Some ideas

Ho, sorry. but is there a chance that the fan noise idea work?

3. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

just a quick post, i know ur gonna do a throbing effect cathode, but y not use a sound sensitive one so it reacts in time to music or sound from games, would be a little more interesting that one that just constantly fades in and out

4. nyyanks

nyyanks What's a Dremel?

Nicw work Zap,I'm impressed with your dedication.

Quick question,and perhaps this has been mentioned already but I only look at the pictures.I am interseted in the Noritake LCD,I want one.Where did you get yours and how does one go about wiring it up for use ion a pc.My electronics scills are less the great so I need a dummys guide to doing it.But I am very anxious to ge a graphical lcd and I figured I go to someone who obviously knows.

5. ZapWizard

I got it off eBay
    LCD info here:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23501

I already have the CCFLs installed.
    Also I will be connecting the effect along with the LEDs also.
    And I want the sci-fi throbbing effect, so instant sound activated flashes would not "fit" with the radioactive theme.

6. CrimsonSky

CrimsonSky What's a Dremel?

There's gonna be a LOT of pimpage in the next few days going around ... :naughty:

Muhahaha!

7. flacowboy

flacowboy What's a Dremel?

come on 25th cant wait to vote

8. Asazman

Asazman What's a Dremel?

ZapWizard: You should really make a tutorial out of all this! I'm seriously thinking of doing a far simplified version of what you did inside the same case (just got one for $15 off eBay:D).

9. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

oh man this is awesome. I love how you changed the connectors so they use that wierd mic style format. Awesome!

Awesome mod :dremel:

Thats a sweet lcd and case. Great job

10. ZapWizard

If you read the thread I bought the case for only $8.95 retail. :D
    (www.colemans.com)

This project log is about as much a tutorial as it gets.
    I have received e-mails from quite a few people who are now using this same case to build a PC.

----------------------------------------------

I will be out of contact for a few days, but watch for my PC on TechTV next week.

Please vote on Sept 25th and 26th
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers

Don't forget to watch and vote! :dremel:
    The PC will be featured the 25th at 7pm Eastern US Time
    Voting starts on Thursday the 25th at 8pm Eastern US time
    And ends on Friday the 26th at 3pm Eastern US Time

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/showtell/story/0,24330,3531588,00.html

If you want the Media PC done in weeks.
    If you want super cheap laser cut fan grills, windows, and custom cuts.
    If you want to see me make even bigger projects

THEN PLEASE VOTE :thumb:

11. Asazman

Asazman What's a Dremel?

Hmm, so you can convert cable types (i.e. VHA -> something else) based only on the fact that what you're converting it to has the correct number of pins? There are no other factors that come into play?

12. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

for the most part, yeah. sometimes you might need to worry about shielding or something though. (i'm sure zap will clarify this)

13. Asazman

Asazman What's a Dremel?

Very interesting. I am really going to do something similar to this, although no where near as spectatular as Zap's.

Anyone know where one may accumilate some of those connectors? I know I've got some old audio connectors around that would work, but would radioshack carry anything similar to that?

14. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

radioshack is a good place to look, and i'm pretty sure zap gets loads of goodies from www.allelectronics.com too. just look on that site and radioshack's site and see what you can find

15. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

it is very posible to have cathodes that throb to the music aswell, infact i have some from when i visited america, got them in a gadget shop, its like a smal green thing with 2 arms that are cathodes, and they throb to the music, its green too, i'd send it to ya but ur all the way over the pond and might be able to get 1 there

16. pcjabber

pcjabber What's a Dremel?

That is really cool that you would help other modders (with materials for their projects). I would love to have (or be able to use) the VersaLaser. You have surely got my vote! Now, I just have to remember to vote on the 25th. Better write it on my calendar =)

PCjabber

17. Asazman

Asazman What's a Dremel?

I've got a few questions for you peeps that maybe you can help me out with. I've been using allelectronics.com for a lot of stuff and I found TONS of nice stuff I can use there, but I am lacking a few things.

#1. Covered Keyswitch. couldn't find one on eBay, allelectronics does not carry. Anyone know where I can find one?

#2. Jumbo Bling Bling Old School Neon Power Indicator. Allelectronics does not carry, google didn't pull up anything productive, and eBay doesn't have them (that I can find).

#3. 10-Pin VGA cable Male/Female. Can't find this on allelectronics.com/eBay. Does anyone know what the exact name of this is so I can better find one?

#4. Plastic Mesh. I have no idea where to find this stuff, what specifically is it called?

What are your thoughts on watercooling this? Of course the watercooling equipment would not fit inside this case, I'm thinking I could have another small ammo box and a couple 1/2"ID tubes for input/output. I would want it to cool the CPU and the video card, this would enable me to overclock and get rid of the need to do such excessive cooling. I would just place a small HSF on the chipset.

ZAPWIZARD YOU'VE GOT MY VOTE AS WELL AS THE VOTES OF EVERYONE I KNOW :D :lol: :cooldude:

18. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Well, sitting here at my machine, bored, I decided tot ake a look for you.

Keyswitch (ON/OFF and momentary flavors

Power indicator It's square but seems to be similar.

Another indicator lamp

10pin Male-Female plug although rather pricey. An alternative owuld be to buy 2 5 pin cables, much cheaper. However after close examination of my VGA cable there are only 9 pins. Perhaps you could find a way to consolidate a few of the pins to use an 8 pin plug, like this

Plenty of plastic mesh here

Hope this helped.

19. Asazman

Asazman What's a Dremel?

You're my hero! :clap:

I think my best option is to do 2x 5 pin or a 7 pin and a 3 pin or something like that. There aren't any conversions necessary for this? just solder from wire to wire (given that they are same from male/female)?

Also, on the metal mesh, I found the kind I want (XV1347), but it appears as if that site does not sell them, only an informative site of the manufacturer. A google search concluded inconclusive. Anyone know where I can BUY this stuff? Thanks again!

Last edited: 22 Sep 2003
  20. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

#1 was a radio shack item (probably not carried anymore)
    #2 was also a radio shack item
    #3 came from digi key
    #4 was from all electronics
    Most of this info probably could have been found by searching this thread.
    I though he should have used a digikey ms3126f-24-61s-nd for one big connector for everything.