1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA's Origin becomes a demonstration of DRM's drawbacks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Oct 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hopefully EA will give up on Origin at some point and go back to selling its games on Steam.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It does sell (some of) its games via Steam - they're here - but they still require Origin to be installed to handle the DRM. Which is pants.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Installed and running or just installed? I don't remember Origin ever launching when I've run any of the games on that list that I own. Unlike say Ubis Uplay crap which does launch (of the 1 and only game I have on steam of theirs).

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I offered a similar opinion elsewhere recently, and was immediately attacked by whiners claiming I was blindly supporting a monopoly. :rolleyes:

I said I don't buy ubisoft games, because I don't want another online games library and that, if it wasn't for Crysis 2 and 3, I'd happily ditch Origin too.

Steam works. It hasn't let me down once, in twelve years.

silk186 likes this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Pass - I don't run Windows, so I have no first-hand experience of Origin.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What do the other two main digital distribution services platforms do with regards to US trade embargoes?
    Do they, or have they in the past, blocked access from countries on the embargo list?

9. Gareth Halfacree

Ignore 'em, mostly. Which two other 'main' services are you talking about - Steam and ...?
    Steam is available in Myanmar, and has been since day one; I don't know which other service you're talking about, but assuming it's good old GOG that's also available in Myanmar (but wouldn't be covered by US trade embargoes anyway, 'cos it's not a US company.)

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I was probably being over-generous by including Uplay in the 'main' category then, plus i just checked and they're not even American. :duh: :D

That Steam mostly ignore 'em makes me wonder why EA have decided not to, internal decision or governmental pressure, probably the former knowing EA.

11. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

During the big Origin sale were they gave away BF3 I decided, on a whim, to buy syndicate. It was Friday night and I had the weekend free to play it. Well the Origin servers were of course being hammered but I was able to buy the game, just not play it, as while the game was in my library, Origin said I didn't own it.

I've dealt with many a steam sale so I know how sales can badly affect these services so while I was quite annoyed I was sure it would be resolved within a few hours. Roll on Sunday and I still couldn't play the game so I asked for a refund. Credit were credit is due they handled it easily enough but when asked why I said that Origin made a HUGE mistake letting their service be crushed like this as it just reminds people how we don't really own any of the games we have bought.

TLDR; Only gog is a truly safe place to buy games but dammit if steams other features don't make it more appealing

12. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Exactly, since I use my computer as a gaming console the best set up currently is to run Big Picture - nothing else comes close (especially when using the steam controller) even though I wish I could switch to GOG to get rid of the DRM

13. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

You obviously didn't buy HL2 on release then!

14. David

Yes, I did. Half life 2 was my reason for creating a Steam account.

15. B1GBUD

Same here, except my initial experience downloading/activating was a f**king nightmare! and I wasn't the only one.

16. David

iirc, my experience was painless.

17. B1GBUD

Now you're just rubbing it in...:eyebrow:

18. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I ended up taking my copy back to Dixons the first time as we didn't have good enough internet to download the extra stuff that wasn't on the disc. Few weeks later and a broadband installation and I bought it again, don't think it was completely plain sailing even then.

19. David

[​IMG]

B1GBUD likes this.