1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Google Cardboard

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 10 Sep 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Whilst I appreciate, nay hope, that the likes of Oculus Rift will be far better than Google Cardboard I thought I would spend the few quid buying one just to get a taste. I must say I am impressed even though graphically it is very simplistic it was very immersive and I admit that when I thought I was flying with some birds it made me feel quite odd.

Really hope that decent VR gaming becomes mainstream in my lifetime.

anyone know any VR apps worth having a look at?

2. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

I tried using Trine vr to link to my desktop - its worth a go although I had to fiddle about a bit to make it work. Apart from the resolution it worked well with Elite Dangerous - enough to make me want an Oculus or Vive so I could have a proper go! Also worth looking up some of the VR videos online.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Do you mean Trinus VR?

4. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge What's a Dremel?

I would assume that Google Cardboard is only a very weak taste, seeing as it has no real tech involved. But the problem with VR headsets is the PRICE! I think it would be really cool and I am hoping they have sets in the mall during the Christmas shopping season so people can try them out. That's the only way I will get my hands on a pair any time soon. Two minutes is better than no minutes.

And headsets aside, the computer required for a quality VR gaming experience.....the price just goes up and up from there. We are poised to finally have VR enter the consumer market, but it won't be affordable for quite some time yet.

5. neilardo

neilardo What's a Dremel?

Totally with you on the price issue... we can only hope that after a couple of years of hype the headsets will fall in price. Thing is though, it's always so disappointing to be behind the times and have to wait!

6. CuriousGeorge

Yeah, waiting has never really been my strong suit. But then again.....when you don't have the money.....there's not really much else you can do. This is when it pays off to have rich friends who invite you over for a game night :thumb:

7. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I would say that Google Cardboard is pretty much crap. I tried it using my iPhone 4 and was really disappointed in what I saw. I got really scared that the Rift or Vive would be as disappointing.

They aren't.

I tried the Rift DK2 and Leapmotion at a VR meetup about a year ago. I was happy with the visual quality and tracking.

And then I got the Vive right after it shipped. I've been trying to play a little every day and I'll say that my overall happiness level has gone up. It's fun to use and really makes you feel like you're in another place. No, it's not like The Matrix or Lawnmower Man or Ready Player One. You don't actually think you're someplace else.

But when you remember your experience when playing you don't remember the room you were in or what desk you were sitting at or what monitor or mouse you were using. You remember the other world you went to, how it felt to be there and the things you did there. The memory resides in the same place in your brain and exotic vacations and other novel real-life experiences.

I had none of that with Google Cardboard. Putting your head on a pole and spinning in 360 degrees is not VR. It's a recipe for getting sick. Anything lacking positional tracking is not VR. It's a stepping stone at best.

8. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

A great description. I can't understand people that don't think VR offers something genuinely exciting and worth pursuing.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I completely think VR offers something genuinely exciting; it's just not something everyone can pursue. I ain't got the cash for a top-end gaming rig or a Rift or Vive, and if I did I ain't got the room for anything other than Google Cardboard-style sit-down-and-stay-down gaming. Over time, the former problem will solve itself - at least, as long as I don't mind playing games that are new now ten years down the road - but the latter's not likely to change, 'cos I sure as heck can't afford to move house.

10. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I agree - can't see myself getting any hardware for quite some time, but presumably it will start appearing in arcades, or even have VR-specific cafes or similar where you can go along, drop £10 or so and get 30mins play.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I have given Cardboard a try, it was very good using wife's massive 6s plus, utter crap using my smaller 5s.

As for real VR headsets, it's still at the early adopter phase, very expensive and very limited. I'd even say earlier stage than quadcopter drones I'm recently drawn towards. I would be tempted to purchase a VR kit for £300 price range, not the current £800 range. I guess, like most techy people around me, I'm in the early early majority camp.

12. CuriousGeorge

Lol brilliant. That's a perfect description. :clap:

13. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I've just ordered the Daydream VR... Even if it is crap, I'll be watching movies on it with my Pixel phone!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I bought a plastic VR headset for about £15. It was pretty good, kinda like 3dvision on your head. Only thing was there was no way to control it. I never did bother trying to find a remote button either. Shame, as it seemed quite fun. Movies looked good too (but I had to keep taking it out to start them etc).

One thing I will say though is you need a high res phone. I had an Iphone 4, it didn't even work with VR IIRC. Any way I would never have used it it was far too small. Get a decent phone in there though (Oppo Find 7a) and it was perfectly acceptable.

15. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

For anyone with a google cardboard or similar device. I've been doing some VR stuff at work and a potential client asked if I could do 360 renders. Despite having never done one before I said, "Yes of course" and then make this the following week.

Enjoy. This was made quickly, but I'd love some feedback.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B29OBMhr2J17Ny1DTTJFZV80WE0/view

16. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I'll point out that if you host on google photos, it has a built in 3D viewer for non headset users.

The render is pretty basic, but works just fine. I'm sure stuff for a client would be more polished.

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

tried the Samsung gear vr - got to say its not bad at all