1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Stability diagnosis

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mkb, 24 Oct 2016.

1. mkb

mkb Minimodder

Hi all, I seem to be having some issues with system stability when playing battlefield 1 multiplayer. I don't think this is exclusively down to battlefield itself because I recall experiencing similar issues when I used to game, approx 12 months ago.

My system is detailed in my sig. I have a very small modest overclock on my GPU +75 core +100 mV and 150 % power limit in afterburner. I've tested this in valley benchmark and it's stable at +100 core but I dropped it down to be safe. No mem oc possible. My CPU is overclocked to 4.6 Ghz (46 x 100) on 1.39 V. Note: running Windows 10.

The instability occurs once every 30-60 mins whilst playing multiplayer (currently on high settings). Hasn't happened yet on SP. The screen is unresponsive, system is locked and the sound freaks out - a very short repeating noise). If I review the event log I find Critical Kernal Power error - event ID 41, task category 63.

I've also been having the following intermittent hard drive messages "The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 has predicted that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent." I'm running my SSD as my primary and a mechanical as storage.

I also get BSODs displaying the message ... system service exception (ks.sys) ... one immediately prior to updating this thread when I tried to update origin.

Furthermore, sporadically I get electrical noises coming from my PSU. It doesn't happen that frequently.

So .... does the fault potentially live with the HD/PSU or the GPU or another source?

Any help or troubleshooting welcome!

As an aside, I hope my brother will bring his PSU and GPU this weekend to isolate either of these two components under test.

Thanks!

Last edited: 25 Oct 2016
  2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Download gsmartcontrol (scroll down a fair way to find the Windows download), see what the SMART attributes on your HDD are like and also run a short test. If it passes that but has red attributes run an extended test. If it passes that your HDD is basically alright.

As for the random electrical noises from your PSU, I don't think it's overly worrying but if you're getting some parts to test with no harm in trying out a different one.

I would hazard a guess that a dying HDD might be the cause for a fair few of your issues though.

3. mkb

mkb Minimodder

Thanks for your suggestion Noiz. I've installed it and the mech drive is red and fails the health assessment. Time to buy a new storage drive. Is it likely this will have resulted in the crashes I'm experiencing?

4. noizdaemon666

Yeah a faulty HDD can cause all sorts of issues. I'm not saying it's caused all your problems, but it could have done. See how it goes with a new HDD.

5. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

I would check some other HDD diagnostic software and listen closely for the type of noise coming from the drive (clicking is a sure fire sign of incoming HDD trouble) before splashing cash on a new drive to test though.

6. noizdaemon666

Why mess about trying other software and listening for random noises? It's failed a reliable method of testing, it is clearly faulty.

7. mkb

mkb Minimodder

Well i no longer get the hard drive warning error any crashes have certainly decreased in frequency. I haven't given it a good enough test for a significant period of time to say that the problem is solved, however, it's looking good.